1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was it like for you?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by channel48, Oct 13, 2012.

1. channel48

I'm a lesbian and I'm 13 I was wondering if any other lesbians could share what it was like at my age. I feel different from every other lesbian like Iknow to early or if its real. I know its real its just some daysi have a little doubt. I tell myself you're only 13 I can't be real I'm to young. I was just wondering if any other lesbians felt that way. (Guys are welcome to give advice but I don't think most of you would have been a 13 year old lesbian girl) :slight_smile:

2. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I had no idea at 13. I grew up in a really strict house and wasn't allowed to watch tv, movies or anything. Didnt have internet, it was 1996 so the internet was just starting to get really popular.

I was also really religious at that age.

I tried to "impress" other girls by pretending to have crushes on boys though, I do remember that. Overall though I was super super shy and focused mostly on schoolwork and extracurriculars. I got an eating disorder because I was so insecure. Yeah, thats about it.

You are a very confident 13 year old for knowing who you are! I swear kids get smarter and smarter with each generation!:slight_smile:

3. LailaForbidden

I was buried in denial at 13, although deep down i knew that i was attracted to women. This was the year that I got bullied for it, which spurred another 3 years of repressing everything. If i hadn't got bullied, i think i would've been where you are right now because that was the year my feelings got more intense.

4. channel48

Thanks tapsilog2012. I've know since 6th grade cause I had a crush on this girl named Sam. She liked me but I was hiding my feelings for other girls at that time. I grew up in the south, but my mom wasn't very religious, so I'm not either. I still love God and Jesus, but I don't know the bible. I don't know what your religion is but I'm Christian. I don't care what you are. I did the same thing in 6th grade I even had a boyfriend. He was actually the one that made me realize that I didn't like boys. He didn't say anything I just wasn't happy. I was also young, but it didn't feel right being with a guy. Once Sam put her head on my shoulder and I thought "this is how it's suppose to be." everything felt right when I was with her. We talked for hours on the phone. She moved at the end of 6th grade. I moved to California and lost her number. She wasn't the first girl I liked, but she was the first one I noticed. Did you feel doubt after you knew? Sometimes I question it then I look at the girl I like and all of the doubt goes away. I'm sorry that you got an eating disorder (*hug*). I'm glad that you seem to be doing better. I'm insecure, but it's because I'm hiding at school. It makes me anxious and I feel huge when I walk into a room. :confused:

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2012 at 11:34 AM ----------

Thanks LailaForbidden, I got bullied in 6th grade because I hung out with Sam. She was open about the fact that she liked girls. She didn't say she was a lesbian, but that she was into girls. My feelings got intense last year when I couldn't look at my best friend without want to kiss her.

5. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Aww its ok if you feel insecure. It really is just part of being 13. Trust me everyone else feels insecure too, even if they pretend they are not. Youve probably heard adults say this to you all the time, but its true! And yeah, its really hard to be your age, sometimes I think adults forget that and treat it like its kind of a joke, but its not a joke, I remember how confused and awful I felt.(*hug*)

I told myself I would never forget how hard it was to be a kid and I won't forget.

I was a Christian too, I was Lutheran so my church wasn't that strict but my parents sent me to a super strict Christian school from grades 5-7 so I was obsessed with making sure I didn't "sin" at all.

You asked me if I was confused? I actually didnt know at that age AT ALL. I pretended to like boys all the way up until now and I am 29! Can you believe that? I do like boys, but not in *that way*.

6. channel48

Yeah I think your right. It's just a big secret. I want people to know I'm just scared of people finding out. I want to be the one that tells people. I felt bad about it in 7th grade I keep thinking there's no way you're a lesbian and I almost believed myself. Then I just gave and said forget it I'm a lesbian. My mom and my close family are more scientist Christians. My extended family is Southern Baptist. Homosexuality is a big no-no in my extended family. My mom and stepdad and know and are okay with it. It's hard cause if I tell one of my extended family then everyone will know. I don't even feel comfortable around boys. The only boys I feel comfortable around are GBTQ guys. I feel like all the rest are just staring at me and forgetting the fact that I'm a lesbian. I'm joining the Rainbow Youth Alliance next year in high school. I think being part of that will help. Thank for the great advice :slight_smile: (*hug*)

7. Emilyann29

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have known i was a little different than other girls my age when i was in elementary school, i even used to "play house" with a girl in 3rd grade, the her mom found out and transferred her to a catholic school.
    Then in 7th grade i had my first girlfriend but i still hadnt officially told anyone that i was a lesbian. But it wasnt exactly a secret that my gf amd i were together.
    I told my mom a year that i was bi and she said i was just confused so i decided to "take it back" amd i think she believed that it wasnt true because she wanted to.
    Then a year after that my first gf and i officially ended so i got my second gf then i came out to everyone for real that i was a lesbian. A couple guys that liked me got mad and stopped talking to me but overall it was a pretty good experience but i live in a pretty conservative town so i think everyone just kind of pretending it wasnt true and went back to normal like i never said anything. But now, 5 years later, my family is getting more and more accepting of the gay community but there is still quite a ways to go, i think coming out is really just the beginning of a long journey.

8. channel48

I've never had a gf but there have been girls that I wanted to date. When I played house with my little sister I was always the husband. I was also the knight when she wanted to play princess. I always said I was going to wear a tuxedo to my prom. When I would do this around my extended family they would look at me kinda werid. I was to young to notice but i do remember it. My mom and stepdad were accepting, but the rest of my family doesn't know.