1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm confused and need help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by channel48, Oct 13, 2012.

1. channel48

Okay this is gonna get a little awkward. I don't always feel like a girl. Sometimes I feel like I need to flatten my breast and wear guy clothes but the thought of being an actually guy isn't something I want. Sometimes I feel like there is some missing you know where, but that's rare. Most of the time I feel like a girl, but not all the time. I don't know what it means and it scares me. I don't think I want to be a guy. I'm just really confused :help:

2. FishMan27

I think you may be suffering from a case of gender identity disorder. This is where your physical gender and the gender you see yourself as are not the same. Although, in your case, you only feel that way some of the time. I can't say I have any experience with gender identity disorder (I've only heard of it from some of the articles I've read online). Maybe if you do some searching, you will find some answers.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I think that might be what you're experiencing.

3. channel48

Thanks. That sounds right but I don't want to be a total guy I don't think. I'm really curious about what it's like to be a guy. Is there like gender curiosity or something. I'll do some searching. You did help thanks. :slight_smile:

4. FishMan27

Like I said, I'm not too familiar with gender identity disorder. Sorry. :frowning2: Good luck with your searching! I think finding some things out on your own is an important part of discovering who you are, but just remember that there are people who will love and support you no matter what; these people can help you on your journey, too.

5. channel48

Thanks. I know that I'll have support I'm just scared right now. (*hug*)

6. FishMan27

That's something I can definitely relate to (as can pretty much everyone on this site). These kinds of things are scary, especially that first coming out experience. What I have found, though, is that the more people you come out to, the more confidence you build and the less scared you become. Of course you would want to choose who you come out to carefully, but I think you'd be surprised as to how accepting people can be.

I guess I'm not sure how old you are (which is totally fine if you don't want people to know), but I've found that a lot of people in my generation (teens) are more accepting than older generations who grew up in times when homosexuality was seen as a disease.

7. channel48

I'm out as a lesbian to a few people. I just started realizing my gender confusion. My mom and stepdad were cool with it (being a leasbian). I'm 13. I agree I think that the younger generation is more accepting.

8. FishMan27

OK, well you're still pretty young, and you have some time to try to figure out your gender identity (not that there is a timeline). I've found that talking to friends about these kinds of problems can give you piece of mind (especially gay friends who can relate), even if they don't have answers. Just sharing what's inside your head with someone else can do wonders! It's similar to writing in a journal or diary, which can also be really helpful (once again just to get your thoughts out of your head).

9. channel48

I might get a journal. thanks for your advice. :slight_smile:

10. FishMan27

No problem, and good luck on your "road to enlightenment." lol :wink: