1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Muraba, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Muraba

Muraba Guest

Today was starting off great, until I got to thinking about something.

I got up to find that my favorite show, The Walking Dead, was on a marathon on AMC. I was watching it and my mom came in with a letter from the college I applied for. They admitted me in, and I was extremely joyful. My entire family was proud, including my Aunt and Uncle. Thing is, I was thinking about if I come out of the closet, will they still be proud of me? Will they still be happy for me and my achievements? I'm probably overthinking that, but it made me sad because they will probably hate me. I can't stand it when I hear my dad and mom talking about gay people negatively when I walk downstairs. "Queers need to be lined up and shot. Obama isn't anything but a dumb n word." Idk why I made this thread. I'm probably just really sad. :icon_sad:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! (*hug*)

First off congratulations on being accepted into college! That's awesome! :slight_smile:

I can imagine that it is hard to hear your parents say something like that. (*hug*)

If you are not out yet, college provides you with a great opportunity to start coming out and be yourself. Once you start college, try joining a LGBT group on campus, or a social group that will allow you to start coming out.

If you know that your parents and/or family might or will have a difficult time with your sexual orientation, it is okay to wait, and to build up you support network first.

Sometimes though, parents will change their views and attitudes as they come to know that their child isn't straight. For some parents, and depending on their own upbringing and social views, it will take some time to come around. But eventually, most parents do.

3. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

Your parents don't sound too friendly to me. I wouldn't recommend telling them due to their bigoted nature towards homosexuality. Just not yet, not until you can support yourself.

Perhaps maybe...You can say that 'you have a gay friend and if you don't like it, I've got some facts' or something to that effect. You can say:

Homosexuality is not a choice, it's a proven fact

They'll keep coming back and one day will be accepted

They're still human and should be treated as such

Tell them that it isn't their business to judge other's relationships or orientation and does not personally affect them in that way, other than the fact that their son is gay, and that should not be in any way a problem.

Tell them that sexual orientation cannot be changed, no matter what

And if they do not believe you, send each an email with several links to trusted and known resources that prove these statements. And if they still don't believe you, tell them that they don't deserve a son like you.