1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend is hanging out with homophobic people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jasonaw2, Oct 13, 2012.

1. jasonaw2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My friend is now hanging out with two homophobic guys. He isn't just any friend he is my best friend. I've known him since elementary school. He knows I'm gay I told him myself but I don't think he can see what kind of guys he's hanging out with. Worst of all last year after one of the guys was going on with his homophobic rant and he can see that I'm gay but I play dumb and say I don't know what he's talking about. And he told me to "jump off a bridge and die like all the others". The other guy said out loud he dose not like gay people and thinks being gay is a choice. Lately I've been avoiding my best friend because of them. What can I do? I don't wanna just leave my friend behind. He's been my only friend sometimes. Please help I don't wanna lose my best friend.

2. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

Those guys your friend is hanging out with seem real nasty. I don't think you should confront them about anything and try to tell them otherwise, they only hear what they want to hear and they'll either dismiss your statements as false and lies and 'just excuses' or beat you to hell or both or more. All you really should do is just leave them alone and ignore them to show that you don't care.

About your friend, you should confront him; tell him that you don't like who he's hanging out with and that what they say/do/both are bigoted and very hateful and you don't appreciate it.

3. Ticklish Fish

Hey there, Texan! *wave*

Like Powerguy says, you should talk privately with your best friend.

As for those homophobic people, they're everywhere... if it is verbal harassment and not physical, probably ignore it... So long you're not having life/death threats... If your life is at threat though... GO FIGHT BACK MUAHAHAHA. /exaggerated laughter