1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feeling bad about not coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by femfat, Oct 14, 2012.

1. femfat

This is my first thread on this forum :smilewave hi! It's mostly a rant, but I was hoping I could get some advice please?

So, the thing is that I moved towns about half a year ago. In my old town I had a couple of gay friends and my school, especially all my friend groups, were very accepting when I came out as bi. I don't usually mention it to people I don't know and just let them assume I'm into guys (because it's technically true), so when I moved to my new school I knew that it would take me a while to open up.
    Now I'm at a stage where I have close friends and I feel 'established' in the schools social circles, but I still don't want to come out. My new town is very small, and things like racism and homophobia, though mostly directed towards gay men, is casual and accepted. I feel like I might lose a few friends, and will probably be discriminated against by people I haven't even met (word travels quick because of how small my school is).
    BUT, I feel as if it is important that I tell people. I honestly don't think that my sexuality is anyone's business, but I feel the need to be able to say 'this is me and I'm standing up for my rights and for the visibility of my minority'

I don't think I could handle the backlash though, and that makes me feel like a coward.
    :bang:
    Anyone have any advice? should I man up? let it go, as I only have a year left at the school anyway? Only tell trusted friends? :help:

2. JWM

JWM

What about your family, do they know?

3. femfat

I told my parents last year, and they seem to be accepting it, although I'm pretty sure they think it's just a phase.

As for my extended family, like my grandparents, I don't feel like I need to tell them. I will if I ever have a serious same-sex partner, but right now it's not really a factor in our realationship and I know they would accept me.