1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling lost and overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alwayshope11, Oct 14, 2012.

1. alwayshope11

I just feel so lost and overwhelmed this past week...my OCD is flaring up and has me worried about all kinds of stuff..from eating to cancer and cancer testing. I'm scared to live it feels like and I feel like crap. I'm not suicidal just overwhelmed..my doc is talking about new meds so hopefully that will help .. But I just feel like I will never be able to unthink the stuff my OCD makes me feel... Not looking for anything particular in this post, just needed to vent!:bang:

2. SkyColours38

Venting is good, please do as much as you need! I can relate to your stress, and although I only have mild OCD, there is something else in me (I don't know what it is) that makes me think things I want to unthink, and there is so much fear... Everyone has bad days or weeks, and it's good that your doc knows what's going on. Just please don't ignore the feelings if they go on for a while, because that could be depression. I hope you feel less lost soon!

3. wandering i

I've found journaling is an amazing way to vent, because you can really let it all pour out without reservation. If you like typing, 750words.com is a great site for daily journaling, completely private unless you choose to share.
    Are you seeing a psychologist as well as taking medicine? If you aren't, I think it might be helpful to you, especially because they will know some strategies to help you cope with times like these and maybe even improve things.

4. Haley M

Haley M Guest

Absolutely vent! I myself have a touch of OCD. It can work against you but if you can push through it and vent to whoever can, you should be ok. :slight_smile:

5. alwayshope11

I do see a psych! And journal..thanks all. It's just hard cuz I can't rationalize anything but hopefully new med will help..

6. You always have open ears at EC.

7. alwayshope11

Thanks! It's just so annoying the things that I think..I can't stop obsessing over things like if I have cancer or am gonna give myself cancer by having sex especially anal, and if I need to get tested / screened for things that there aren't even official recommendations on. Today I got worried I gave myself anal cancer with my fingers! It's absurdly annoying and I just hate myself for feeling this way. Hopefully I will have a new medicine this week so that it can get into my system...I'm waiting for my doc to call me back. Ugh thanks of listening .. This website helps a lot

8. alwayshope11

How do you get rid of the foreboding feeling??

9. alwayshope11

Some days it just feels hopeless

10. wandering i

When I get too overwhelmed I put the brakes on everything and distract myself as much as I possibly can. Multitasking and doing three or four things at once (all unimportant, positive, funny or stress-free stuff- watching a movie, playing a game, talking to a friend, reading something interesting) keeps my mind occupied enough that I can shut down my negative thoughts. I know not everyone has the amount of personal time I do. But I shifted my whole life around to give myself the ability to cope when times are bad and I don't regret it. My health is my priority and I won't stress out about the ways I cope if they are not dangerous to my health.

I know some people find the same ability to stop thinking when they exercise, especially running. Try to find something you can do that helps keep your mind off of it, whatever that is, and keep talking to your doctors...
    Sorry I didn't check back sooner in this thread :frowning2:
    I am rooting for you, keep in mind the badness is your disease and not reality or even you. You can get through this.