1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help from Christians!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by doglover15, Oct 14, 2012.

1. doglover15

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My family is such a genuinely sweet, Christian family. We all support each other and joke around together and for the most part, we are all petty close. When my parents saw me kissing a girl I suddenly saw a new side to them. I instantly lost all their trust and I can’t help but think that they STILL see me in a different way, six months later. My question is: why are my parents so against me being gay? I know that some Christians are against gays, and being raised in a strict Catholic family, I myself am Catholic. However, I do not understand all the gay controversy at all! Why would anyone be against gays? Why aren’t my parents accepting of me about this? Can someone please help me, because my parents make me feel that being gay is wrong. Is it????

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's not wrong. The whole problem lies within how people interpret the bible and what they are told in church. For some reason religious people like to focus heavily on gay people, even though in the bible it is hardly even mentioned at all compared to other things. The stuff that it does say about same-sex things(actual relationships are never even mentioned) has to be taken in context with the time that it was written and does not apply to today. There is nothing wrong with you since you can't help or change your sexual orientation as it's mostly set before you are born. What is wrong is how your religion views homosexuality and how you're being treated by your family.

#2 Lance, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not that simple, really...or else it is that simple. My parents are very religious, and they don't have any trouble with me being gay. They're proud of me and who I am. But I realize I'm fortunate in that regard.

Lex

4. Pat

Pat

Well, it's in the bible. It's not a relationship that God accepts. I have a very strong religious background, one that I won't go into because then I have to explain everything about the religion lol. If you believe the bible, which I still do, it takes some time to come to grips with what this means for you. You have to approach life with the confidence that when God does judge you, he really looks into your heart and determines it's condition. A lot of people will tell, you the REAL truth is that it's okay to be who you are. If that helps you become comfortable, then go with that. I believe everything I've ever read in the bible and I just hope that when it's time for me to be judged, God will consider the fact that I was born gay as a condition moreso than a choice. I know most people will disagree with me, but I do believe that here on earth, it's a defective lifestyle and definitely a difficult one to live. But you have to get past that and live for right now and make decisions that are aligned with what God says to the best of your ability. And when it's judgement day, there's only one Judge. I spend my time living my life, I can't slave for two masters. I've chosen to live for myself right now because if I didn't, I don't think I could go on. This is a different perspective i'm sure, but it's just how I feel.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That is entirely up for debate. The bible doesn't mention homosexuality at all and the few passages that mention it 2-3 can be also debated as to what it means and how significant of a "sin" it is. Its also important to note that Jesus himself also never mentioned it or talked about it. You would think that if it was that important then Jesus himself would say something, but that isn't the case.

But that's something that every person of faith has to decide for themselves.

As for your parents, have you talked to them about it yet? What have they said? Is it because of religion or something else? If you haven't talked to them about it then that might be the first step.

Keep in mind that a lot of parents take a while to get used to the idea since its not something that they are used to, but most of them will come around with time. My parents were similar to you and it took my mom 6-8 months to be okay with it. Right now, two years later, she is fully supportive.

6. Pat

Pat

Right, that's where the difference lies. I don't debate what's in the bible. I don't like religions where a person tells me what's in the bible instead of showing me and reading and gets their understanding directly from it. Like I said, if putting a positive spin on it for your benefit is what makes you feel better, then lots of people do that. Me personally, I take it for what it is, there are passages in the bible talking about same sex relationships, and it's one not deemed acceptable. Now, I do reason with the bible. So, without bias I say to myself if I didn't feel like I saw passages about same sex things.. "If it were important, it would be here saying that it's ok" also. As highly in regard as the bible holds a relationship between a man and a woman, you would have to reason that it would be included also. Just a difference in opinion. From my experiences, a woman's identity is one that was made to mesh with a man. Our thinking patterns align with the opposite sex naturally. I'm not saying that I don't think I can have a relationship with a man just as good if not better than one between a woman and a man, but if they are doing it the way God describes it, it's a perfect union between two people. The disconnect is where people interpret what the bible says instead of just reading it with no bias. You swallow a shit load of pride reading the bible, which makes some people feel like putting it down. I consider myself someone who knows what's in the bible and I made the decision that i'm unable to accept what's there, it's too hard of a pill to swallow because i believe my feelings, even deemed sinful are real and I can't feel bad about who I am. All I can do is live right now and let God judge me later.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's a social construct. Specially since in the bible you have more polygamy than monogamy when it came to relationships between people.

It is quite dangerous to read the bible as is and without any interpretation about what it says. If everyone read the bible that way then slavery, polygamy, and murder of non-virgins/gays/etc. would be totally okay with everyone. Yet that is not the case.

But yes, do what makes you feel better :slight_smile:

8. castle walls

Sorry for the short post. I'm really short on time at the moment but some religious people believe that homosexuality is wrong. I suggest they research it themselves and watch this

[YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

9. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A word of caution to people relying on the Bible: if the family is a Catholic one, then they do not believe in only the Bible, they also would believe in the words of Popes and the ancient Church Councils as well.

10. Tiny Catastrophe

There is no word for "homosexual" in the original language the bible was written in. It has been translated thousands of times into thousands of languages and things have been misinterpreted and added over time. And think of it this way, Jesus loved everyone no matter what correct? I'm sure gay people would be no exception. I don't understand how priests and pastors can preach that Jesus and God loves everyone unconditionally and simultaneously preach hatred towards people for who they love. And on top of that there are PLENTY of things CLEARLY written in the bible that is forbidden but most people choose to ignore those things and do them anyway and call themselves good Catholics or Christians. I personally think that preaching hatred towards anyone is against everything Jesus stood for.

11. Pat

Pat

Right exactly, that's all I'm saying. There were no terms for that word back then, but it touches on same sex in numerous places as being detestable to God. What you do with that is up to you. I wasn't in a religion that taught hatred. Because they had faith that if you took these things to heart, you would want to change yourself. No one can make you change. No one told me to become straight and beg God for forgiveness or whatever. The guy I talked to told me to try to do things to take my mind off of it because so far, there's been no definitive information on whether it's a choice to be gay or not. So they treat it more like a condition, and they will welcome me back with open arms if I want to pursue religion. I've decided for now to see if I can be happy being me and then happy with someone else. If it's too hard to do it, I'll go back and be alone. There's nothing wrong with being single. I just didn't get any pressure about trying to be with women, that would be ridiculous. I've met gay men when I was going out in the ministry and we always met them with dignity and didn't judge that person. Because you're right, Jesus loved everyone despite what they have done or are doing. We aren't the people to judge anyone. Who's to say which sin is stronger than the next anyway.

12. Luke Matt

I'm kind-of glad I don't have a religious background, actually. It'd probably only make things worse when I do decide to come out >_>'

13. Pat

Pat

I'm going to work on you mister.. lol. We're going to get you out and then to Georgia so I can flirt with you lol. haha

14. Raindrop

Being gay is not wrong. I came out in a Christian family and all is well. It depends on how they were raised, etc. I have one set of grandparents who would be fine with it, one set who would kill me and both of my parents love me anyway.

The bible does say that for a man to lay down with anogher man the way he would a woman would be an abomination but it also says that we're damned if we wear different fabrics together so...