1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossdress in public

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Haley M, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Haley M

Haley M Guest

Hello all, I really want to try dressing up in public. I am a little scared to do so though. Would anyone happen to have any tips on where I could go for my first time and maybe what I could wear to not draw too much attention?

2. SFSorrow

Halloween is the perfect time to do it, you can dress as outrageously (or not) as you want and nobody will bat an eyelid. That's what I did the first time I went out in public and I didn't get any weird looks.

If you want to be doing it more in your everyday life then I can't really say as I've only ever done it in public in contexts in which it was acceptable to be dressed up. My intuition though is to advise just trying to do normal everyday things like going to the shops or a cafe maybe?

3. Haley M

Haley M Guest

That could work although I would want to look as convincing as possible. I feel like if I did that for Halloween then people might think I'm too into it whereas if I do it in a normal place and time then maybe I can not draw as much attention. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe Halloween would be my best bet?

4. Ianthe

Since halloween is coming up soon, I think that would be a good time to try it out for the first time. Halloween is good because you don't have to worry about whether you are drawing attention.

5. Haley M

Haley M Guest

This is true. I still feel like its hard to accomplish. Maybe after the first time it'll get easier? I guess I'll have to find out. I just wish I could suck it up and do it and not worry about what people think!

6. LightningRider

I'm not really the best person to try and help with this subject but I think this halloween idea seems like a good bet.
    I mean, it would be a good way for you to test the waters too. Cause while you may say that you are confident that you want to go out in public, when push comes to shove you might feel differently. And if you don't feel entirely comfortable with it, you can just say it was for halloween and try again another time.
    Then if it does feel good, you have that confidence boost. :slight_smile:

So I think halloween is a good idea.

7. Haley M

Haley M Guest

I am going to have to seriously consider it. I get butterfly's just thinking about it.

8. J Snow

I plan on making my first public dressed up experience at a gay bar. Even if it turns out you don't pass as well as you are hoping, I'd rather be surrounded by LGBTQ people than straight cis people. I dress up at my trans support group already though. If you can find one in your area that would probably be a good place to start.

9. Haley M

Haley M Guest

I don't know if I'm comfortable going to a bar like that but maybe I can find a support group and dress up there eventually. That could work. Right now I'm thinking of going a few towns away from mine where I would unlikely run into someone I know and try it there but I need to find a friend to go with me. I definitely can not go on my own. I am too scared for that!

10. prism

As a fellow New Yorker, you'll have the best experience in the city. I see men and women cross-dress here all the time. :slight_smile:

11. Haley M

Haley M Guest

I didn't think of that either. I live rather far from the city though. But possibly doable if given the right circumstances. :slight_smile:

12. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Emily, even though we haven't talked much, I like you (as a fellow EC'er and transgender), so I'll try to be as sincere as I can.:icon_bigg

I've only crossdressed in front of other people once (well, there's been a couple unintentional ones years ago, but those doesn't count), and it was indoors, and I've been too coward to try it outside.

BUT, I've thought carefully about that several times. Read some experiences too. This is what I think I would do when I decide (at least) to go out crossdressed:

- I think I will not have the courage to go out if I'm not convincingly feminine, because the sole thought of looking male to others brings the "i'll be watched and given the weird look", and that would make me feel bad (and fear). But that feeling is compansated with the thought that, not every born girl looks feminine. While I may get weird looks if I'm not too convincingly feminine, that doesn't necesarily means people "discovered" I'm not a born female.
    - On contrast, I don't want to look overly feminine, because that will attract attention (and sometimes, bad attention), so I want to dress casual: maybe a knee long skirt or some jeans, maybe a dress that doesn't show too much, but doesn't cover it all either, or a blouse that looks good but no too formal. Also, shoes no more than 3" high, because 5" definetily looks forcing it too much.
    - Make up will have to be the exact amount: just enough to cover for my manly features, but not enough to look like a slut.
    - As for a place to go, you know what they say, the best place to hide a leaf is in a forest. I'd want to go to a mall or any other place with lots of people: the more people is there to watch, the less I'll be seen. Of course, the first time I may get coward again and simply go to a less populated area, but the trick is to control the nerves.
    - I will have to therapy myself into controlling my nerves, and look as natural as I can. Don't force the "feminine walk" as a overacted walking will attract attention.
    - Of course, talking as little as I can, unless I've practiced my feminine voice to a decent level (I've made some improvements there).
    - And at last, I'd rather have a friend with me when I'll go out the first time. A good friend not only will give continued support through the trip, but will help me if I get in trouble (lots of things may happen outside, wheter you're dressed or crossdressed).

Of course, as I said, Inever been out crossdessed, so I can only say what I've reached through meditation of the matter and some testimonies.

Emily, I hope you do well on your first trip outside, I'm really looking for your success. I'd want to hear about it when you're done with it. And maybe you'll inspire me to go out as well.

Anyway, goodbye and keep it up!!!!!(*hug*)

13. Haley M

Haley M Guest

Thank you sooo much Cassandra! I'm working on a plan to get this going but it may take a little time. I may do the Halloween thing but I'm not sure yet. I definitely want to go with a friend! There is no way I can go on my own the first time! I guess when I do finally go out I should just be myself. That will make me comfortable and if I can learn to tune other people out then I should be good. :slight_smile: I am thankful for the support so far! And I like you too Cassandra, thank you!!

14. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You're welcome!!!!:icon_bigg

I'm happy if I can be helpful.(*hug*)

15. SFSorrow

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Halloween is National Crossdresser's Day.

I definitely think it would be best to go with a friend, it's always better to have someone as support.

16. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wouldn't be suprised :lol:

But I think I wouldn't want that to be true, you know, associating crossdressers with monsters is not a good idea.

But at the end of the day, it's always a good time to start!

17. Haley M

Haley M Guest

Yes definitely need to go with someone!

18. Sandy0557

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Halloween has worked for me. Looking forward to this one. Have my costume coming and it will be fun. Going to the same party as last year, so a little concerned about a repeat performance, but will have to deal with that.

Hope you find a way and have fun.

19. AlexisAnne

Actually, to throw my two cents in, I'm going to be going out dressed up for the first time on Halloween. I agree that it seems like a good time. I'll be going with some friends who know I'm transgender, and I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck to you! :slight_smile:

20. SFSorrow

I think it's meant tongue in cheek, as it's the perfect excuse to get dressed up. And it seems many crossdressers use it.

I don't mind being associated with monsters and dark things but as I've got gothic tendencies that might be why. I also feel a certain amount of 'freak pride' at being an outsider, and monsters have functioned as symbolic outsiders so I feel a certain amount of kinship. I realise that not everybody will feel the same way though.

#20 SFSorrow, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012