1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is change always a good thing?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bubblehead1230, Oct 14, 2012.

1. bubblehead1230

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my partner and I have recently stumbled upon the idea of moving to another state where we will be close to part of her family, and far enough away from mine. Normally this would have been exciting, but I discovered that this state recognizes gay marriages and it is legal to get married in the neighboring state. This is both exciting and scary to me as well because the idea of being married has been mentioned. I have become complacent I guess you could say with our relationship. We live in Texas and I felt like we would always be here so this is what our relationship would always be, nothing more than 2 people living together, but it now has the potential to be so much more. I never thought I would experience those fears that many people go through about getting married. I'm not sure if what I am experiencing is normal or if I should just ride it out. I want to move, but I don't know if I can handle all of these changes at once?? :help:

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I think its completely normal to be nervous when you start talking about "where is our relationship going"

Do you see yourself with this person for a very long time? Are you ready for the commitment?

The best thing is to talk to your partner. Tell them your worries and let them know that you might not be ready to take the next step. Remember that just because you can doesn't mean that you have to. There are plenty of straight couples that choose to live together for a while before getting married :slight_smile:

3. prism

Like TheEdend said, communication is VERY important at this point. Don't get pushed into something you're not sure about.

Talk to her about it. Even if marriage does seem like the natural next step, it doesn't have to happen right away. You're still very young and have so many more things to experience and people to meet.

Personally, I would never marry someone unless I was 2000% sure. As an added rule, I would not marry someone before living with them for a few years. :thumbsup: