1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Team Members

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jaysuss, Oct 14, 2012.

1. jaysuss

I really want to come out to certain people on my sports team so they can hopefully ease the stress that will come after the rest of the people know. Are there any good ways to go about this? Should i tell one of the members out of a team setting?:help:

2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Just tell him there, unless you think he'll spill the beans.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there's one or two you get along with well, and do things outside of practice with, try going for pizza or something with the two of them and then tell them you need to talk. It might feel a little safer if it's on "neutral" ground, away from school, and it also takes away time pressure to do it quickly, or doing it right before or after practice.

We have several people at EC who have come out to sporting teams (football, swimming, etc) and for the most part, they've not had much problem. A little homophobia from a handful of dickish people is to be expected, but in most cases, the team members you get along with will have your back and help keep things going smoothly, because they realize it's necessary for the team to do its best.

4. Doctor Faustus

Being in a team is all about support, co-operation, trust and collective willpower. If your colleagues can't be behind you when you need it most, well... /shrug.

Good luck! :grin: