1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Designer clothing addiction HELP!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander69, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Alexander69

Why am I obsessed with designer clothing and accessories! I think I have an addiction I get such a rush buying things and just thinking about wallets, shirts, jackets, hats, shoes, colonge, bags, necklaces, bracelets my heart pounds and I feel like I need to have them! So i go buy them! But I don't want to be like this when I live on my own and have my own job and I'm not spending my parents money but mine! Serriuisly I this an addiction? Advice please!

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend of mine, when I first met him 8 years ago (he was about 20 then), had a very similar problem. Like you, his parents had plenty of money and he could afford things. He would not think twice about dropping $2000 on designer clothes, shoes, and such. He had clothes in his closet that he'd never even worn.

He described it much like you did, and he used it as a "crutch" when he was feeling down or depressed or anxious... except he soon discovered that the "rush" didn't last very long, and he was pretty quickly back to feeling shitty again. So the "rush" from shopping temporarily alters brain chemistry in a similar way taking a street drug, such as cocaine, heroin, or meth does, releasing powerful neurotransmitters that enhance mood.

So, the more we started talking about it, he started simply acknowledging his behavior, and realizing that the shopping was a "drug" to deal with his anxiety or low esteem or what have you. And the more he started thinking about that, the more he realized what it meant... and why he was doing it. So instead, he started shifting and working on his feelings. He also started noticing when he felt tempted to go shopping, and asked me and others around him to help, and also to ask people around him to encourage him and positively reinforce when he went to the san francisco shopping district and *didn't* buy anything.

Underlying your shopping addiction is shame. (shame = deeply held belief that we are not worthy of love, belonging, or connection.) The things you buy, temporarily at least, make you feel like you're worthy... like you belong, because people pay attention to you. As I've said before, the clothes are your "armor." But ultimately, they actually increase your shame, because you know, deep down, that it is the clothes, and not you, that draw the attention, so it's a vicious cycle.

So one thing my friend did was start forcing himself to return stuff that he bought, the next day or sometimes the same afternoon. This did two things: First, it forced him to think about what he was spending. Second, it was a little uncomfortable for him, at first, to return stuff, as, in his warped perception, it seemed "petty" to return clothes; in his mind, "this wasn't something people of his income did." Which... of course... is complete bullshit. But by doing that, he reinforced to himself that he didn't need these things, and was better off without them.

Second, he made a pact with several friends that whenever he went out to the mall or wherever, they were to remind him of his commitment not to buy stuff.

Finally, he learned to just stay with the feelings that came up that created the urge to shop. And that's tough. But he did it. When he felt anxious or depressed or something that would ordinarily trigger a desire to shop, he called a friend and asked for help. (If your friends cannot provide this sort of support, then we shoudl talk about finding you better friends.)

Finally, he started giving away large quantities of his clothes to friends and to resale shops.

It's a lot to take on, so don't expect to change overnight. But it's good that you're thinking about it and working on what you need to do to change.

3. Alexander69

I went through my t-shirts last night and I have some I have never worn and don't even remember buying. So the ones I have warn I'm giving away tomorrow I have about 60 t-shirts to give away

4. Ticklish Fish

Aw, Wish I live near you.. lol. I don't buying clothes (at discount) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(and if it is the right size)

EDIT: I think you meant "worn"

#4 Ticklish Fish, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  5. Alexander69

I meant havnt warn I'm giving away LOL***

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, if you're around people who give you positive reinforcement for your clothing choices, and negative reinforcement when you "do it wrong", that probably simply reinforces your idea that "buying the right clothes" equals "acceptance and feeling good".

I started making my own T-shirts back in college (or right afterwards). I got some compliments on those, which encouraged me to make more. And those only cost me about $5 or so. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. Alexander69

Ya my frends are like that:frowning2:

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2012 at 11:29 AM ----------

I hate the fact that I have such a snobby attitude to I know I have one and I try to stop it but when I see people who look dirty trashy and are loud I can't help but be like ew WTF how disgusting and my mom is the same way. When I have the chance to do stuff with her we see someone like that and we both look at each other and go "oh nice how classy hey" and I can eat at certain places I feel they don't have good standards and that's so dumb I know and I wan to change this....... I bought a bus pass and I'm taking public transit now :O but I think this will be good for me.

8. timo

There's a big difference between being "dirty trashy and loud" and being a decent human being who happens to wear clothes that don't cost a fortune :slight_smile:

But it's a good thing you want to change!

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll echo that statement. I don't think anyone's advocating that you wear 10 year old t-shirts with holes in them, or pants that haven't been washed in a week. :slight_smile:

Also, here's something to think about: Next time you look at some guy on the street who is (or appears to be) homeless, stop and think: Do you think he wants to be where he is? Do you think he likes having dirty, torn clothes? How do you think it would feel to be sitting on a street, having no self esteem, and asking people for change?

Nobody volunteers for that, and in this economy, a lot of people that used to have well-paying jobs, nice cars, and beautiful houses have lost all of those things. Those without friends or family to support them, may have run through savings while trying to get another job and ended up where they are because they had no other options.

Likewise, a lot of people who work at Starbucks or retail stores have bachelors or masters degrees but can't find work in their field, and at $9 or $10 an hour, may not be able to afford anything your friends would classify as "nice." So they wear what they can afford, and struggle to pay their rent, food, and other expenses. You're extraordinarily lucky to have what you have, and it's good that you do, but as the saying goes, you can look at others who are less fortunate and think "there but for the grace of God go I."

I know your mom and your friends have probably never stopped to even think about that... but I am certain that you can, and I think if you really consider it... it might change your outlook quite a bit.

10. Eleanor Rigby

Hi Alexander,

my name is Cécile and I am a makeup addict :slight_smile:
    I have the exact same issue you've got with clothes, but with makeup. The only difference is that it's my money I spend on it.
    I have had addiction issues in the past, with alcohol first and then self-harming and so, I know I have tendencies to fall for addictions. But even knowing this, it took me until last summer, until I get the the point I couldn't trust myself to enter a Sephora with my credit card to realize that my passion for makeup truly became into an issue.
    What I did is fairly simple : I took an appointment with a therapist. (Ok, I said it's simple but I'm 32, it's not my first time with therapy and no, it's never that simple).
    During my first appointment, I talked about makeup for 15 min, and then I started to dig into the dirt and to work on what my issues really are (work, parents, husband, the constant feeling of being a fraud, the constant fear that someone will notice someday...).
    Believe me or not, but as soon as I started to talk about this, the urges to buy new makeup truly alleviate.
    I'm not saying I'm done with it. I keep going to my therapist, I still working on my issues, and I made a deal with myself : I spend in therapy what I would have spend in makeup, because I need to be in therapy and my drawer could testify that I don't need more makeup. As crazy as it may sounds, that's working, I didn't buy anything makeup related in 2 months (also because, I truly can't afford therapy AND makeup, that helps me to stay on track).
    I think it's really great that you're working on acknowledging the issues you're having with shopping and your appearance. That's always the first step. I think it's also great that you want to force yourself to change your look on other people (by taking the public transit for example). Maybe that would be an idea to try to seek for a therapist too, someone that could help you to work on your issues. And I don't know how possible this would be for you, but I think it would be great if you don't pay them with your parents money, but yours.

Good luck in dealing with this, and if you want to talk about it, feel free to send me a PM anytime.
    Take care, Cécile

11. Alexander69

Thank you everyone ❤❤❤ I took public transit today and got a job application. I'm sick of being this way today I passed out on the bus I ate my breakfast but It wasn't enough. After being on my crazy diet I can barley eat anything I eat like 2 bites of something and I'm stuffed but at night I get soooo hungry but I can't eat at night life is so complicated when you care about appearance :frowning2: I need a huge change

12. Ticklish Fish

um, OP, you can still pretend you're middle class and eat relatively healthy.... maybe you don't have to eat meals that cost hundreds or more...

*is lost on what you're trying to do here*

13. Alexander69

Lol what? Haha I'm confused now to kacho..... Are you asking what I'm trying to change

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think he's saying that you could probably try and eat a little more than just a couple of bites, and eat out while you're out and about on public transit :slight_smile: Given that you've had an unhealthy relationship with food in the past, what you might want to do is set guidelines for yourself: Say that you'll eat 5 or 6 small meals each day... a small (2 or 3 ounce) portion of chicken and a couple bites of pasta, then an apple and some almonds, then maybe one of those small round Subway sandwiches that are only a few bites each... those aren't actual suggestions, more like just ideas of what you could do.

If you do that for a few days, your stomach will return to a more normal size and you'll be able to eat regular meals. Plus, you'll reinforce simple and healthy eating patterns.

15. Alexander69