1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am curious to know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by everett, Oct 15, 2012.

1. everett

if there are jobs within the LGBT community that a history major such as myself could undertake to support hirself with. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do for a career and I only recently figured how much I enjoy being active in the lgbt community and want to do more.

Any advice or suggestions would be great!

2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Why do you need an LGBT job? That's kind of horrible, when I think about it. Having straight people have their jobs and gay people have theirs is a bad idea. Just get a "straight" job.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That was a rather insensitive thing to say. What if Everett specifically wants such a job, maybe related to advocacy? Or our collective history?

4. everett

Thank you for being so "thoughtful". If you bothered to read what I said as Allez did, then you would understand that in general I am looking for a job in which I can find a means to contribute to the community, and yes something that gets involved in the advocacy and the history.

Be more thorough when you read next time.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Aren't you near Washington D.C., Everett? The Human Rights Campaign is located there. I know they hire a lot of interns for season-long programs, usually young adults and recent college grads, though they are unpaid; I don't know how many paying jobs might be available.

And Caudex, I have to agree with Pret Allez, you should be a bit more sensitive to others' views. While you might be the sort who is comfortable in treating your sexuality as a non-issue, and just want LGBTQ people to be completely assimilated into mainstream society...the fact of the matter is, there are still barriers separating queer people from the rest of society, there is still discrimination, and there is still a need for a distinct LGBTQ community to provide a safe haven for people and to work to correct injustice. The OP didn't say anything about a "straight job" or a "gay job", he just said he wanted to be active within the LGBT community, nothing wrong with that.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Come on, folks, let's not lose this thread to an unproductive derail right out of the gate. Research trumps nay-saying any day of the week.

You could consider putting an application in with any of the following organizations. Even if they aren't hiring or all all-volunteer organizations, it's quite possible that they can help you network with some kind of advocacy group that is employing.

Equality Maryland
    GLBT Community Center of Baltimore and Central Maryland
    PFLAG Maryland

And here's a random site I found from the links section of Equality Maryland whose purpose is to be a networking site for trans people:

T Job Bank

#6 Pret Allez, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  7. everett

Thank you so much! (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)