1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to help someone who might be losing a loved one?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jargon, Oct 15, 2012.

1. jargon

So my girlfriend's grandmother is in the hospital now and it looks like she might not make it. Usually I'm great at helping people work through these kinds of situations but I get the impression I'm not helping as much as I could be right now. I was trying to help her not worry about it so much because its early and we still don't know what the chances are. She said I sounded like a doctor and she needed a friend, not a doctor. :frowning2: I can see where she's coming from but I dont know what else to say.

I should mention shes 2 hrs away right now, so I cant be there in person to help. I asked if I could call her but she said she'd rather stick with text. I'm saying how sorry I am and trying to ask questions so she feels like she can talk about it but she hasnt been very open about it. How can I be more helpful?

2. Tbob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My best friend recently lost his grandmother. I would often talk about lots of other stuff, and just ask him if he was okay, but left it to him to bring up the subject. When he did I would just try to let him talk.

Your girlfriend may or may not open up to you about it, she might not want to release all her emotions. I know its a cliche, but just try and be there for her. Being there doesn't have to mean running all over the place trying to help, just make sure she knows that if she needs anything or needs to talk you are at the other end of the phone.

3. jargon

Thanks Tbob! That's probably very sound advice. I definitely feel like I need to do something because I feel like I kind of screwed up already when she actually wanted to talk :/ We just changed subjects eventually and at least had a fun chat, even if she was probably just masking what was on her mind.

I guess I'm worried she'll just think I'm not helpful when she really needs support now, and will just turn to someone else. I want a chance to redeem myself, if that makes sense.

4. Tbob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The fun chat is probably what she needed. Try to be as normal as possible. She may never say it aloud, but she will be glad of your support.