1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow; I'm never telling my mum.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Luke Matt, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Luke Matt

You know what I was doing..?

Listening to Empire of the Sun.

You know what response I got from my mother?

She was telling me how it reminded her of George Michael (how..?) & how he used to do "disgusting, unnatural things in public toilets".

What the fuck? What is she trying to tell me?

Empire of the Sun shits on half the bands she listened to in the '80s..

Words cannot describe how annoyed I am at the moment.

Also, she was going on about she can't listen to "that kind of music" now because she associates it with George Michael and his "disgusting activities".

Yeah, never coming out to her.

#1 Luke Matt, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. MichaelB

The toilet remark doesn't 100% mean she's having a dig at gay sex though man.

She could be referring to his drug use in toilets. Or sex in general. I think all sex in toilets is disgusting, I'd probably say something similiar to her and I'm obviously not homophobic. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You might be reading to much into it? :slight_smile:

3. Luke Matt

I probably didn't make it clear enough in the first post, but she was referring to gay sex.

I mean, sure..I agree that ANY sex in public toilets is pretty distasteful/disgusting, but that's not the point I'm getting it. First I was listening to Beach House and she asked if the singer was a girl (as if implying I prefer girl bands..which Beach House isn't >_>'). Then I was listening to Empire of the Sun and she was going on about how she doesn't like people who sing like that & dress up funnily (referring to the 'different' costumes the actor wears when he's performing).

I don't get it.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that parents, particularly mothers, have an innate sense and usually know. So if your mom has any idea that you're gay, she may already be starting to process it and in the denial stage (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) and, by saying the things she's saying, desperately trying to maintain the denial and convince herself that you aren't gay, and "convince" you not to be.

Of course that doesn't work, but it doesn't stop parents from trying it.

So honestly, I wouldn't take this as a "You're awful and evil and despicable if you come out" but a "I don't want my son to be gay, please let it not be true" thing... which, if I'm right, she'll move through soon enough.

5. Pat

Pat

Haha, what Chip says. It doesn't sound like you're going to have to tell your mom. She's on to you or she already knows. The way you respond to her in these times is going to tip her off.

6. burg

the Empire of the Sun guys are guys are the funniest guys i ever meet.one carries around a brief case and you have to guess whats in side.i wouldn't rule out telling her bo maybe just make sure you have told other people first.how does the rest of your family react to gays.