1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Oppurtunity

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nodnarb, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Nodnarb

For my lit class, we are writing a "moment of truth" essay where we are supposed to write about a time where we learned something about ourselves or others. The first thing that came into my head for a topic was when I accepted myself as being gay, but then Mrs. Driml told us we would have to present our essay to the class. If we didn't have to do that, I wouldn't have minded just writing it and just having her read it. She is one of my favorite teachers and I absolutely love her, so coming out to her wouldn't be a huge deal. BUT, like I said, if I were to do that as my topic it would require coming out to my whole class, and through them the entire school.

So I've been debating it all day. My lit class is the honors class, and our group has been together for years and years, so we're all really close. Also, all my closest friends are in that class. I trust most of the kids in there(except for a couple of the populars) and I am almost 100% sure they would all accept me were I to come out(there are a couple really religious ones, and the general homophobia of a small town, but nothing too bad). But, I also know that they couldn't keep something like that to themselves, and it would only be a matter of minutes after second hour was over before the entire school would know.

Which brings up the debate of how the entire school would take it. I'm not like super-popular or anything, but I know everyone in my class, most of them pretty well, and a lot people in the other classes know me(especially the senior class). There is one guy in the school that everyone knows is gay, and he isn't exactly popular, but nobody says bad things about him and he isn't an outcast or anything. BUT, he has ALWAYS been out, so I don't know how me suddenly coming out compared to his always being out would make the situation different.

There are rumors about other people being gay, but nothing confirmed. For the most part, even the people with the strongest rumors about them are still not outcast or harassed over it. There is a lot of talking behind the back about them tho. But last year there was a guy who had a VERY gay sounding voice, so everyone figured he was gay. He claimed he wasn't, and there were a lot of nasty rumors and stories about him all year. BUT, he was still 'friends' with the people making the rumors and was still semi-popular. People also use 'gay' as an insult all the time and sometimes is just so disgusting I can hardly stop from yelling at them over it(by doing that I would pretty much be coming out, so it isn't really an option). It is just so common that I don't know if they really mean it or they are just saying it because its the 'cool' thing to do. I like to think that somebody the know and respect coming out to them could change it, but I fear that it might be to strongly ingrained in our society.

Anyways, I guess the purpose of that long and rambling post was to try and get you guys' opinions. Should I do it or not? I mean, it scares me that I am even seriously thinking about it, but I am. And I kind of want to do it. But I know that without you guys talking me into it, I'll never be able to do it.

So, what do y'all think?

2. Astaroth

Wow. Wowie wow wow! That's a tough one. Do you feel like you could stand in front of your class and come out to everyone all at once? If you can, you've got more guts than I do! :lol: I think it would be wonderful, personally. You would basically be done with your current coming outs, I would imagine (distant family aside), so that would be a load off your shoulders. But I'm not going to say that you should or shouldn't. This is a huge step, obviously, and only you know if you're ready for it or not. (But I really want to say go for it, lol!) The only thing I can say is that I can guarantee that you'll get an A+ if you do it though! Nobody's going to be able to top that. :roflmao:

3. acorn7

That's exciting :grin: You know, it would be awesome if you did it... If you feel you're up for the challenge, it will be really amazing. I'd say go for it and be done with it. I really don't think you have to worry about the rest of your school, based on what you said. Some A-holes may bother you at first, but if they're the minority, they'll quickly back off.

4. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can really understand that situation as i was in it just a few months ago, but i never really concidered it much because i wasn't ready to come out. I am not saying that you shouldn't do it by any means just be sure that you yourself are ready to do somthing like this. And just a little side note i wouldn't worry about people using gay as an insult very much because my brother used to use gay as an insult all the time but he was very supportive. He took a while to force himself stop using them as insults not because he didn't respect me but because its a habit.

5. jab429

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a guy that came out in a speech, it went pretty well for him.

I think that it would be an awesome way to come out, pretty much just getting it all outta the way at once! But it would be super nerve racking!

6. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think that you should only do it if you feel ready. If you do though, it will probably help.

Also, don't worry about people using gay as an insult. All my friends are fine with gay people, but we all go "That's so gay!" once in a while. Doing that doesn't necessarily mean homophobia.

7. Time

If you feel confident enough to do it, and also feel that you are emotionally and mentally prepared to come out in such a manner, I say go for it. This is definitely a good opportunity not only to inform class mates that you're gay, but also to educate them. Shoot down the myths that a lot of them probably have instilled in their heads. Let them know that you're just like them in every way except this one. Also, for the guys in there, I would make it clear that gay guys are not attracted to every guy they see, just like straight guys aren't attracted to every girl they see. This is such an annoying and common misconception.

I think it's usually best to come out a few people at a time, starting with closest friends whom you know for sure will be accepting, and then eventually working your way to the people not so close to you, some of them homophobic. Just because most people do it that way doesn't mean you have to, but I would take this into consideration.

Let us know what you decide though. You've got me intrigued :slight_smile:

8. Nodnarb

We're supposed to decide on a topic tomorrow....I'm still not sure. I thought I could get up in front of everyone and do it, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Hmm...I guess I will keep thinking...

9. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

if your not ready,then don't do it

10. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should make sure you feel 100% sure that you want to do that. You don't want to end up regretting something or anything like that. If you don't, I'm sure there will be other chances and if you do, good luck! :icon_wink

11. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going back on what Time said, if you choose to do it, then definitely make sure that it's more than just a simple coming out. Be sure to tell your story. Let everyone know what it's like to be gay in today's world. Help them to feel all those emotions with you, that way you might bring a few more people to the understanding that being gay isn't wrong. This could be a marvelous educational opportunity. You could possibly change some minds, or even move some people with this.

12. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

An easy "A" if anything :slight_smile:

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would sure be an interesting way to do that...I would never have the guts! Good luck if you do, but don't if you're not ready. Lol I guess everyone above me's already said that............

14. Nodnarb

We didn't end up choosing topics today so I still have at least one more day to think about it(likely two, since tomorrow should be a snow day). I'm leaning towards not doing it. I think it would be better to tell some close friends first and get a better idea how the rest of the school would react. And, I have two cousins who go to the same school, and the second they found out they would run home to their moms and tell them, who would call grandma and tell her. I really want to come out to grandma in person because we're so close and she is so important to me.

So I'm thinking I'm not going to do it. But I have no idea what else to write about....

15. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's the wise move; coming out on a one-to-one basis should be more fulfilling. You should come out the way you want to, and telling your grandma and friends first is the right move and should make you closer.

As for other topic ideas, I have no idea. Sorry