1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying To Help Him...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by standtall00, Oct 16, 2012.

1. standtall00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I've been dating this guy since last month and he has depression and anxiety issues. He knows he has to get professional help, but he wants a gay friendly therapist, but if he finds one his parents won't drive him to it. I tell him I'm here for him and I care for him countless times. I've cried over him because I've been through depression, and it hurts to see him go through it when he doesn't deserve it. I'm trying to help...but really I don't know what to do, even when I tell him he can talk to me about anything (he does) it still isn't enough.

On top of that he's home schooled and I can't see him often because his parents get "suspicious". The next time I see him is Halloween, but I want to help him as best as I can before then, but I don't feel like I'm helping at all. What should I do? :confused:

#1 standtall00, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Even though it might seem that you are not helping, based on what you have said, you are already doing quite a bit.

Letting someone know that they have someone in their life, who they can trust and count on when they need to talk, or support, and that there is someone that cares about them, is often times the best thing we can do.

Sharing your experiences with him, and continuing to encourage him to continue looking for a therapist with whom he would feel comfortable talking, and perhaps even offering him support in going with him, can already go a long way.

Continue what you are doing. I'm sure it helps him already. (*hug*)

3. standtall00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hah I never thought about offering to go in with him :O Thanks :slight_smile: