1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like my closet.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Crassus, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Crassus

Crassus Guest

I'm not really looking for advice or anything here. I'm just a little depressed and need to get this out, in the hope that it will make me feel better.

I am 20 years old, and I am just now starting to admit to myself that I am gay. I've been in denial for quite some time, and in that time, I've made a comfortable home out of my closet. My closet is my safe place, and I don't want to leave it. I don't see myself ever coming out. I know that this would condemn me to a pretty lonely life, but I think I'm prepared to live with that, or at least I hope so.

I honestly don't really know what my problem is either. I have no reason to be afraid of people's reactions. Most of my friends are allies or gay themselves, and my parents aren't homophobic either. My mom and many of my friends have asked me if I am gay, and I always just deny it. I even told one of my friends, who just wouldn't let it go, that I was asexual, so she would finally shut up. I'm frustrated with my inability to just admit it, and I'm even more frustrated that I don't have a reason for it. I feel guilty for feeling this way when there are so many others in situations much worse than my own. Some people have to worry about being disowned, yet somehow they can find the courage to come out. I'm pretty pathetic, huh?

Sorry for being such a downer. Thanks for listening.

2. Zach12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey once you're fully accepted by yourself and comfortable with being gay. And as I was also completely comfortable in my closet but when I realized I was just denying that I was gay and not bisexual I really just wanted to let someone know. And maybe the same will happen to you. Hope feel better soon, people are always here to talk if you need it.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Once you can accept yourself, you can accept others' thoughts of you. I almost came out on facebook tonight, but decided not to since I have family members/close friends/church members on there who don't know my orientation, so I'd better not. :lol:

I guess I'm not fully willing to accept myself either, but isolation is definately not the answer! Not for me anyway. I want meaningful relationships with people who love me for who I am and not what I pretend to be. I'm a sap like that. :grin:

4. jaysuss

Stress is different to us all. Some people missing a phone call to the world can kill them where to others breaking both their legs is nothing. You are not pathetic in any way.

5. jvn95

You sound a bit similar to how I was.

I knew I was gay for a while, Yet, I was prepared to stay in that closet, make a nice lonely life for myself and call it even. Sounds... manageable right?
    I had no reason to be afraid of reactions I would get from people either. My parents and friends and my family(most) are pretty tolerant. I even told myself I was asexual, avoiding that I was gay, hoping that somehow I would turn straight.

But... After while, that closet gets really dusty, and really dark when the light-bulb burns out.

You can do it, I know you can. It takes some effort and courage, but after you tell your first person, you will feel better, and you will look back at the closet and wonder why you confined yourself there. You think that staying closeted is what you will for the rest of your life be because you don't know of another alternative feeling.
    You are NOT pathetic. I promise.

Step on out,

You'll get some fresh air out here. :slight_smile:

6. Crassus

Crassus Guest

Thank you for your kind words. After sleeping on it and reading your responses, I do feel a bit better. Just putting what I was feeling into words and then sharing it, helped lift my spirits quite a bit.

I hope that this is just a stage that some people go through on the road to acceptance and that I will be able to become comfortable enough with myself to come out some day. I said that I was prepared to live a lonely life, but I would obviously prefer a relationship to living my life alone. I just don't see that realistically happening, since I can't see myself coming out.

Another thing that concerns me, and I know this is stupid, is that I feel like it is too late for me to come out. I've already just straight up lied so many times whenever friends or family have asked about my orientation. I just worry that if I ever did come out that they would be angry with me or hurt that I lied to them.

7. AlexisAnne

There's nothing pathetic about you. When I was younger, I went through a similar phase before I came out. For a long time, I convinced myself that I was perfectly happy to remain in that closet for the rest of my life, and I really believed it. It wasn't so much a fear of the outside world (Save one person :slight_smile: ), but more something I was facing within myself. I was in the same position though: I couldn't see myself ever coming out. It just wasn't going to happen. If you'd asked me about a year before I came out for the first time, I would have told you with absolute certainty that I was never going to tell anybody.

For me, things just changed within. I'm not exactly sure how I got there, but one day I just decided it was time. Maybe, if you give it some time, the same will happen for you. Just a thought. There's no rule that says you have to come out right now anyway. You're the one who gets to decide when it happens, and nobody else can tell you it's the right time or the wrong time.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the lying about it that you've done. If you decide you're ready one day and go on to come out to them, they'll probably understand if you explain your reasons, and they'll probably be happy that you finally feel up to telling them.

Good luck Crassus. Let us know if things do change :slight_smile:

8. I changed my facebook settings to interested in Men and Women just to see if it would stop suggesting me a bunch of cute girls, I almost didn't notice that the change was right up on my wall! Luckily it was late at night so I changed my profile settings without having to explain myself to anyone! Not just yet at least! :slight_smile:

And Crassus, you're not pathetic. Coming to terms with yourself and who you are wouldn't be worth doing if it was easy. Don't worry about labeling yourself for other people, get comfortable being you before you start worrying about telling other people. If you decide to come out to anyone, talk to someone you know will give you support. Don't forget that support the next time you decide to tell someone. I'd bet you'll find that supportive and proud friends will inspire a lot of confidence in you. :thumbsup:

9. julia

Wow, okay, are you me? I'm pretty comfortable in my closet as well, I have nothing to really worry about if I came out fully but I'm safe in this small closet. I don't think that there's anything wrong with finding comfort in your closet as long as you're not trapped in there forever. It's hard if you're still questioning, like I am, too.

10. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A lot of people live all their lives alone. But no one is ever prepared to live alone. Nothing can prepare you for that.

I understand (at some extent) what you say. I never been an icon of the woman's desire's (fat and ugly is hardly what a woman looks for). Though now I accept I'm bisexual, I'm still more attracted to woman, but a loooong time ago I made up my mind, so I knew I'll be alone the rest of my life. I set my mind to it.

But, now I live at an apartment, alone of course. When I return home, I'm alone, and I feel freakishly sad, because I don't have a person I can share my life with.

I'm not pessimist, however, and I'm still 25, so I won't give up, and hope I find someone someday.

The same goes for you. You're only 20, you still got a lot of life in front of you. You still have a lot of time to come to terms with your sexuality. And once you're comfortable with yourself, you'll still have plenty of time to come out to family and friends.

And, when that time comes, you don't worry about saying you were straight to your friends, they're most likely to said "I knew it!" than to get angry with you.

Remember, you don't need to get out right away, eventually you'll find the right time (and the right "urge") to come out.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Basically, here's how it works. You've kind of already stepped out of the closet by admitting to yourself that you're gay. That means you're no longer in that safe space any more. But you can move from a safe space to another safe space. The safe space you were in is "I am straight." Now you're actually in a pretty dangerous place, which is the "I know I'm gay but don't want to admit it to anyone" space. Where you'd like to be is "I'm gay, and everybody knows, and that's okay."

Right now, you're kind of bargaining with yourself. You'd like not to be open, and you're justifying this by saying you can handle being alone. Maybe now you can, but there's going to be a certain point where you can't. You will need another woman in your life; and to have a healthy relationship with another woman, you'll have to be open about yourself to other people.

But it sounds like you have many allies out there. I would try to talk about this with your real life gay friends.

We'll be here for you every step of the way.

12. Crassus

Crassus Guest

You are probably right. Many of my friends have actually asked me multiple times, so they clearly didn't believe me the first time. I like to think I now have them convinced (at least they've stopped asking), but I can be pretty easy to read. I have a very expressive face, which sometimes betrays me.

I'm really struggling with what you have said here, because you've really hit home. I assumed that if I decided to live my life in the closet, that I would get used to it and the stress and anxiety would just die down. That was the plan anyway. When you put it the way you have, this sounds like a not great plan with rather bleak prospects. Thank you so much for your response.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew that you would struggle, and I somewhat regret putting it such alarmist terms as I did. My intent was to try to give you a sense of urgency but also hopefulness about the need to come out. I think you know that on some level, you won't be secure in this place forever, especially as the dissonance builds between who you are and what you present to the world. Another thing I tell people is that you can't really date on the down-low. Not only is it harder to find mates (because you're scared to be seen going to lesbian spaces, and because you'll be trying to present hyper-straight, etc), when you are able to find one, you may not keep her (because out gay partners want to be publicly acknowledged).

When I said "urgency," I don't mean rush the process. I think that you should go through the coming out process as you feel safe to do so, but at the same time, I encourage you to push the envelope a little bit as far as what you consider safe to be. Coming out is like sex--always a risk, but more often than not, it has fulfilling outcomes.

It wasn't fast for me. It took me six years to become fully comfortable with myself.

Blessings to you.

14. Crassus

Crassus Guest

No worries, Pret Allez. Your "alarmist terms" probably did me good; what you said just shook me up a bit. You helped me see some of the flaws in my reasoning, which I thank you for. I'm scared and I don't know how to handle this situation. Coming out is not something I had ever even considered, but your post has got me thinking about it for the first time. I just don't know how to begin to take the first steps towards acceptance. I'm obviously not ready to tell anyone, but at the same time, I feel like I need someone closer to home to talk to and help me work this out.

15. madi

Don't make yourself feel bad for not wanting to come out. It sounds to me like it really is just all about you exploring and discovering who you are and then accepting whoever that may be. Easier said than done and it may take years, but it is the only way you will ever be happy.
    Don't worry about others right now and stop downing on yourself. Be yourself and I hope you can accept that person. I was lucky in the fact that it hasn't taken me that long to accept myself, but for a lot of people it takes a long time. I hope this is helpful and I hope you find the courage to break free of your closet when you finally get comfortable with who you are.