1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outting yourself... Or are you...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by myheartincheck, Oct 17, 2012.

1. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have to ask everyone who has come out to at least one person: did the person/people you tell already know or have a clue you were LGBT?

Before I came out, my mom told me things like "If one of my kids was gay, I think I'd be sad for awhile but I'd still accept them." My dad would say "[sister's name] Do you think that guy is cute? Hey [insert my name] do you think that girl is cute?" My sis would freak out on him and say "Dad you're gonna give her a complex!!!"

When I did come out later, (sis still doesn't know... she lives in South Dakota with her pregnant belly, husband and blissful ignorance lol) my parents both said they had a feeling and weren't surprised, much to my dismay. I thought I had put on such a good show :eusa_liar lol (maintaining my feminity and never talking about my crushes or even hinting) but then again I'm glad now that they kinda knew and it wasn't such a shock. :grin:

So did they already know when you ended up telling them? Or were they genuinely shocked? :eek: :icon_bigg

2. jaysuss

My parents displayed no emotion of anything like that. They had made accusations in the past. When i told them they didn't really say anything.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents didn't indicate either way whether or not they new.

My best friend had suspected.

My coach and the senior fencing instructor both knew I was queer the second I walked in the door. They said it was my pink shirt, pony tail, and voice that tipped them off. They spend like the next five weeks hinting at their support for LGBT rights until I finally broke down and came out to them. I love them so much, they are like family...

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that my mom was shocked at the time. I don't think that she expected me to come out before college.

She said that looking back, she knew that I was not straight. It just shocked her when I told her.

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom was like "I knew you were before you did. When you were a young kid you told your best friend 'lets never get married [to guys] and just work together at an ice cream parlor and live together.'" :grin:

6. NickyGurl16

When I told my dad he said I was confused but i assured him that I did like girls and he started to accept it a lil bit more when I told him a few times again. He still isnt very comfortable about it and he doesnt really know for sure that i like girls but im sure he will come around one day :slight_smile: Alot of my friends could sense that I did like girls and i even had one friend who said that she guessed i was lesbian the second she met me haha :grin: but some of my friends were kinda shocked but cool with it :grin:

7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm... one straight guy said the thought did cross his mind at some point, and either way it made no difference at all, one gay guy (who usually comes across as a bit of a know-it-all on every topic discussed, part of his quirky personality I suppose) said he kinda suspected, another gay guy said he didn't suspect until the day before the actual meeting, so far the rest including my sister said they had no clue. I have yet to ask the wife of another good male friend if she suspected, 'cause apparently she has a well calibrated gaydar. I sometimes wonder if people say they didn't have any idea because they think it would be considered hurtful to tell someone they failed at hiding it, or if they just really didn't pay much attention to it or the possibility...

8. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I'm too much of a wuss to come out to anyone in my life who's straight, so I haven't done that yet.

My first "coming out" was at the very first day of Welcome Week for my college freshman year. During the first welcome day, I attended a meeting for LGBT students. I was very nervous and scared and debated for a while whether I should even go. I paced back and forth in front of the room but finally entered when someone else walked in haha. Being there in that room was an automatic "outing" for me; everyone in there's LGBT. I then met a gay guy there with whom I exchanged numbers (he's now my only good friend). That same day late in the evening, he called me and asked if I wanted to hang out, so we did. At the beginning of our conversation, he jokingly asked me, "So are you gay?" I said, "Yeah, are you?!" He said, "No....haha just kidding...yeah."

So yup. Going to that meeting was my first non-verbal coming out (and I'm sure no one there was surprised, based on my appearance, that I'm gay). And saying yes to my friend's "Are you gay?" query was my first "verbal coming out" even though he already knew and was just joking around.

I hope I find the courage to actually come out to people in my life who are straight. I'm sure it would come as no surprise, but I'm still scared of their reactions.

9. needshelp

shockingly no even though i thought they already did or may have suspected it at some point. apparently, they said they never suspected it at all. they actually thought that i was straight despite there possibly being some questionable things here and there. :eek: the person that surprised me with how they never suspected it was my brother. he was stunned. when he said "really?", i was like "damn, how clueless are you?" i find that weird when he asked me if i was gay 7 years ago when i was going through my little emo phase. guess i'm one hell of an actor.

#9 needshelp, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012