1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's bad enough that my mother is a complete homophobe

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VIPInspirit, Oct 18, 2012.

1. VIPInspirit

It’s bad enough that my mother is homophobic

But when she gets around my grandmother who is very old school, they have a homophobic fest. And heaven forbid I try to defend the LGBT community because then my mother gets legit angry at me that Basically I am literally defending myself and my friends and she doesn’t even have the slightest clue, which is why there is no need to come out to her. Wouldn’t make a difference, shed just go on a holier than thou rant about how I was made for a man. She straight up told me how dare I try to talk to her about a community I know nothing about (which, hello, since I consider myself pansexual, I’d know TONS about it) and literally said it in a tone that, if I had’ve tried to go on she probably would have hit me. I mean, it pisses me off so much to hear them being judgmental and calling women like Rachel Maddow or Ellen men because their style of dress isn’t feminine or the way they act isn’t feminine. How the hell is a female supposed to fucking act because hell I don’t act all that ‘female like’ I mean I have my moments where I like to dress up and be Girly but my style can be like so androgynous for the most part it’s not even funny. But I don’t hear them calling me a man. What makes me so pissed over it is that they’re supposed to be apart of a religion that isn’t supposed to judge anybody because that is supposed to be left up to god, but them they start calling people out over being this way or that way and it makes me so fucking fed up with them I just can’t even describe the level of angry it makes me.
    I’d just like it if they’d just mind their own business and just live their religious lives however they want to and leave others alone because its that very reason that makes it hard for me to even want to stand up for myself or others like me so I don’t fucking get put out on the street for just being myself.

2. wandering i

I hear your anger and understand completely. Their behavior is disgusting and really discouraging and I'm sorry you have to be around that :frowning2:
    hugs to you

3. I find that when dealing with people who have a religiously-driven opinion, Bill hicks had the way of things.
    "We're Christians, and we don't like what you said."
    Bill: "So forgive me."

I don't come from anything like a religious family, my grandmother claims she believes in god and we all make fun of her, saying the only reason she's in church so often is she knows a lot of people who die (she has a great sense of humour so that doesn't even bother her). So I really don't know the appropriate etiquette for dealing with such judgmental people. 'Turn the other cheek' is probably the most familiar and oft-ignored piece of advice in Christendom. I'd say that's a good place to start.