1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just can't bring myself to do it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by spirithawk, Oct 18, 2012.

1. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

I'm pretty bisexual. I'm attracted to girls a bit more than guys, but it's all really dependent on the person. I was somewhat comfortable in my closet, until I started up college.

My college campus has a rather good LGBT support/resource center from what I hear (they even have their own set of offices, fancy that!). Very outspoken on campus, and always trying to get the word out that they can help. It's even right across the courtyard from the building that has all of my classes; you can see it through most of the windows. It's like it's been staring at me for two months now.

Yet, I can't bring myself to go to it. It's like, stepping into their office is coming out. And I'm not sure if I can do that. I'm very interested in what they have to offer, and better yet, if I can make some supportive friends. But, I'm just afraid of going inside.

I don't know what could be said to help out in this situation...

2. doglover15

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Go for it!!! What do you have to lose? Do you know anyone in the support group? Become friends with them and just tag along. That way, if anyone asks, you can say you just wanted to see what it was like becuase your friends are involved. Anyways, this is no obligation to come out, your simply creating a support group for yourself, something everyone could use. So take advantage of this opportunity. And it sounds like its a pretty well known group around campus, with probably means that you wont automatically be labeled. So good luck!

3. wandering i

Maybe you could knock on the door and ask about a current event or something coming up soon? Many campuses have a lot of different get togethers or club-hosted talks. That way you don't have to admit to anything and you can make that first step of opening the door. You could come up with a more appropriate excuse. Or even start out by saying, "I'm an ally, what can I do to help out?". They'd be delighted to have you regardless of orientation, I'm sure.

4. Tibbs90

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Go for it. You don't want to wait till your my age and are thinking about all that you missed. They will help you.

5. Linguistic_Geek

I understand the feeling of "walking into their office is coming out". I felt the same way. Took me years to finally be able to walk in. But I finally did it this year. I went to a meeting, so it wasn't just me and 1 or 2 other people. Less stress and less focus on me. I'm hoping to go back, but my schedule just hasn't let me. I'm sure once you go, the next time will be much easier.

Another option might be to e-mail them and see if someone can/will meet you for coffee somewhere. Just to break the ice. Talk. Get some support. Plus, that way you'll already know someone when you go back.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yeah, definitely go for it. One of my big regrets is not accepting myself and coming out when I was in college, where I would have had a ready-made support group and community right there on campus to be a part of. It's a lot harder to be going through this after I've already graduated and am now out in the far less forgiving real world.

7. takemeback

takemeback Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I say go for it, support groups and alliances have always been enormously accepting, and... supportive :slight_smile:

My best friend is nervous to join his school's support group, everyone he saw inside had their hair dyed like rainbows, which is a little loud for his reserved, private self. They're good places to find support and see questions answered. There's just something about getting support from someone in person, that forum posts can never replace. Give it a shot! :slight_smile:

8. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you walk into an LGBT support group meeting or resource centre and stand around looking awkward and timid, you'll be, like, the umpteen gazillionth person to do so. No one there is likely to judge you, because most of them were in exactly the same position at some point in their lives. You don't even have to say anything, if you don't want to.

9. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

That helps a bit, actually. I hadn't thought of it like that before. That will keep me from running back out the door, once I can bring myself to step in.

I'm still somewhat hesitant to do so. I've walked by it since I posted, but, I get that "the eyes of the world are watching me" if I try to make a step towards the door itself.

I'm... also not sure what I'm supposed to do once I'm in there, but then again, like you said, I'm sure I'm not the first in this situation.

10. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

I sent an email to the group. Baby steps, right? I'll see what they have to say before I make the big steps through the doors. Appreciate the words from everyone.

11. Deaf Not Blind

Ok, so I know the school you talking about as I am flying home to PDX airport in mid december for 1 month. I'll walk you in myself if you want. ha! anyways, I was not hardly out at all back home, 1 gay buddy from my church i told, that is it...then a girl i liked after she said she couldn't post our pix on FB cuz my jaw looks like a mans. (I told her i kinda am you know?)

But at college here there gotta be at least 40% LGBTQ! Maybe more. The place is filled. But I too feel kinda straightish, believe it or not...well, like a straightish guy. but i by accident, or providence, got lost after 1st class and found the LGBT resource room. i was same feeling...er...cant go in. but as i walked past, something said, why not, it won't hurt you, be a man and go in you chicken! So i walked back 5 steps, stared at ajar door, took a few steps and peeked around it, and DANG! a man and woman sitting in an office, door open saw me! Come inside they signed, smiling friendly...not scary. i still was scared, i admit it cuz u did, ok? but i would look really stupid to go back out now.

so i go all the way in. just 2 i thought. also, i didn't sign good then. they asked me eventually why i was there after pleasantries...i stuttered in sign...yeah um..well...um i think i maybe slightly maybe transgender kinda sorta just a bit. (i am wearing a binder and have a packer in my dorm room...yeah just a bit maybe) the man signed oh me too! i was shocked! he looked cis-gender! :grin:

since being on campus, for many reasons, i have been compelled to come out as trans. i am actually trying to get our school more trans-friendly. me, a christian LGBT activist? who woulda thunk it as i liked my closet!

i have been to the two Rainbow meetings so far, and the man i met, he is hearing and his voice is normal mans voice, and I'm jealous. he told me to go to a meeting at a nearby uni this saturday, and i wore my packer to it.

there they held small groups discussing how in some countries of middle east and africa transpeeps are really persecuted and want to go to UK to US as refugees, but unless proof of being nearly killed they can't escape. another talked how those of us from rural areas may not need to go to Pride or be really flaunting gayness, just focused on the partner and the farm.

and since i have been coming out on campus, i felt amazingly normal there among the various LGBT who were hearing, deaf, hoh, blind, in wheelchairs, etc. one lesbian ask if me and the guy from texas next to me came as a couple. it was cute! a hearing girl from my uni i never met before asked to friend me on Facebook! cool a new buddy! but i had to warn her on FB, i am not out. :slight_smile:

It made me happy too that they held transgender panel on my campus and movie about a deaf transman, whom i met and again thought was born male bodied.

so what i am saying is i am so happy i walked in. i am maybe out to 1/4 of campus, and want to be completely out and start dating now. i have found i can flirt after all, and it is okay, the girls said I'm cute! i have hope, friends, support, and they are not all weird and scary, honest.

i know Portland, its all weird, so likely most normal peeps will be inside that room.

but then...i am biased! :wink:

#11 Deaf Not Blind, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012