1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to a nearby city. Need advice please.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lad123, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Lad123

I graduated university last year but still haven't found a job that I particularly like. Job opportunities are not very good here because I live in a town by the seaside. In the mean-time I have been working at my parents' restaurant since they are always short on staff, so its not like I'm unemployed or anything. Its just that my career is at a standstill if I stay in this stupid town working for my parents x_x

I was thinking of moving to a nearby city like 2.5 hours drive away and find a graduate job there. Do you think its a bad idea to find an apartment there first and then look for a job? I just think its a hassle doing it the other way round because I will be travelling back and forth for interviews. But then again my cv is shockingly bad because I've only worked at my parents' restaurant so what are the chances someone will employ me :lol:

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

My situation is quite shockingly similar to yours, having graduated yet not having much of a job beyond working at my father's restaurant since I have a lousy resume...so good luck with your endeavours to better yourself! :grin:

I would love to be able to move out as well...but unfortunately I think you need to have a clear source of income and credit first lined up before a landlord would be willing to rent to you, maybe it's different in the U.K., but I doubt it....but I'll definitely be interested in seeing how things work out with you.

3. Lad123

Its great isn't it? :dry: I feel hopeless... but thank you for the luck!

Really?! I hope not. Well I think you can put a guarantor down so that if I don't manage to pay the rent then the guarantor will have to pay for it. My parents would be fine with that :slight_smile:

#3 Lad123, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  4. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think job opportunities are hard to come by in most places in the UK. I live in a big city and can't find a job here so have to commute to a nearby city for work.

Being a risk taker, if I was in your position I would try and save as much money as I can and find a place to live, and just apply for jobs like crazy. Maybe even get a job in a bar or restaurant to get by whilst you find an ideal job for you. It all depends on how long you think you can last paying rent without working I suppose. But if it doesn't work out the worst thing that can happen is that you end up moving back home.

Good luck whatever you decide to do :slight_smile:

5. Lad123

Oh dear, you fill me with so much hope... if you can't find any jobs in a big city then what is it going to be like for me :icon_sad:

I'm also a risk taker hehe. I was planning to find an apartment and then apply for normal/temp jobs during my search for the graduate ones. In doing so I would hope to be breaking-even at least to cover rent, food and petrol. The problem being is that it would be so draining to not have anything left over to put towards savings. I could be temping normal jobs for a long while before I get onto a graduate job. But it would also be a good thing because I'd be getting work experience. I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks for posting! :kiss: