1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend has really hurt me, can anyone please give some advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by randomflag, Oct 19, 2012.

1. randomflag

Something really strange has happened with my friend. We’d been friends for a long time but over night I started to develop feelings for her. One night when we were out clubbing she told me that she had something to tell me, so she sat me down and told me that she had something for me, but we were drunk and I couldn’t hear properly over the music. When I asked her to explain, she said it doesn’t matter and we carried on dancing. I was intrigued by her so I carried on to explore my feelings, thinking I could handle them because they were with a woman and that I had not thought of myself as gay before. She was flirting with me constantly, winking at me when we were out and just saying things that had underlying connotations. I couldn’t handle the feelings and I ended up kissing her, she did not kiss me back.

When I asked her whether she fancied me, she said not in that way at all. I couldn’t believe it she lied to me through her actions. What’s worse, she tried to make out to everyone that she had been violated and that she felt vulnerable that I had kissed her and she had not expected it. I felt like I had done something wrong but all the while she was the one that was leading me on. She didn’t talk to me for over 2 months and it was very painful. One day, my friend text me saying that she had spoken to her that and that she felt vulnerable and wanted me to sort it out with her. In the mean time, another friend had spoken to her and quizzed her about her feelings towards me, she got very angry over the phone and said that everyone assumed they knew her and that she was 100% straight. I met up with the girl and she told me she had not contacted me for over 2 months because she didn’t want me thinking I had been flirting with her. I asked her whether if she was angry with me but she just brushed over the subject and wanted to have a normal chat. She was really happy to see me and just smiled through the whole conversation, like she was laughing at me.

Why would someone do this? Why would she want to hurt me in this way? Can anyone please explain her behaviour? I refuse to play her games and I’ve limited contact with her but it’s infuriating to know that all my friends think she is the innocent one and that I’m the perverted one. I’ve had to deal with a lot of issues regarding my sexuality and I look like the ‘baddy’.

Please can anyone help me or discuss my feelings with me? Thanks a lot.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, from what you have written my first thought is that she is struggling with her sexuality and she probably does have feelings for you, she was enjoying herself flirting with you and got up the courage (whilst drunk) to tell you how she felt and then once she had done that she panicked about it. Its quite common for people to get cold feet just before they make it real by telling someone or admitting things.
    She probably felt guilty about what she did but her fear of being outed was at the time greater thats why she tried to make you look like the bad guy to take the heat off herself.
    I might not be right but thats how I see it.

3. randomflag

She presents herself as a tough individual though, like she can handle anything that comes her way. I don't know what to do about it. I don't think I can be her friend because she was dishonest, but on the other hand, if she's gay, it would be unfair for me to dump her because of her struggles.

To be honest, I think she has feelings for me too, because otherwise she would have explained that she didn't have any feelings for me and that she was sorry that I'd felt this way. She also wouldn't have got aggressive and defensive when my friend asked her about her feelings.

4. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, I was born male, so maybe I lack some ... perspective... on the matter; but I do think she is in denial. I don't know if she has a crush on you or not, but certainly she presents the classic denial signs.

Presenting herself as a tough individual means she is VERY vulnerable inside, and hides it by looking not so vulnerable. That will also explain why she presented herself as a "victim" when you kissed her (and to push away the struggle of her own sexuality).

If she wants to talk with you again, means she resolved that "incident", but she doesn't want to talk about ti, because that will bring the struggle back.

That's why she did that, as I see it.

5. randomflag

Thanks for your answers. I think she's in denial too but she won't talk about it. When my friend asked her if she seriously did have feelings for me she got really really angry at my friend. She has managed to turn it all on me though, I have another friend and she's believed the bullshit that this girl has fed to her. I got a text from her saying that the girl who I had kissed was shocked and disgusted that I would even attempt to kiss her and that she didn't know how to handle it. She told me that it wasn't her place to meet up and that I should text initiating a meeting.

On the other hand, could she be a narcissist? Pretending to be 'gay' and having these issues because she wants me to feel sorry for her and continue to give her advice and attention?

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should talk to her and explain how you feel. If you dont think she will talk to you or that you cant do it then perhaps write her a letter. Explain that you are hurt because she lied etc but you never wanted to hurt the relationship. Say that you dont mind if she is gay or straight, and that it doesnt matter if she has feelings for you or doesnt but that its not fair on you if she says she does one minute and then totally denies it the next.

Tell her that if she wants to talk you are there for her and then leave it to see what she says.