1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Astaroth, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Astaroth

So, I was just checking my Myspace homepage and noticed a new Friend Request. So, I clicked the link and low-and-behold, it's my cousin, Samantha. The reason I haven't added her yet is that my page makes it quite clear that I'm gay if you read any of the blurbs or check the Orientation in the stats box. I guess what I'm asking is... should I add her? There are only two groups I haven't technically come out to yet: my coworkers and my extended family. I kind of believe that if I add her, word will get out somehow. All three sets of my grandparents are extremely religious. So I'm in a quandry about what to do. I suppose I could ask her to keep it to herself. But what I definitely won't do is change my page to accomodate her. I was in the closet for far too long to go back. Those doors are padlocked shut. :icon_bigg So... what do you think? Should I just take the plunge?

2. Sam

Sam

Thats a hard decision. I have a lot of my cousins on my friends list and a couple of them didn't know I was gay until I added them and they were fine with it but I had already let my extended family on that side know about me and I guess those couple of cousins hadn't heard yet. I won't contact anybody on my dads side though because I don't want them finding out about me yet, I too have religious grandparents on that side.

I don't know what to tell you I can only say that I won't do it if I'm in the same situation. Really it all comes down to whether you are prepared for her to know or not and whether you are prepared in case she decides to tell your family however if you know you can trust her and you know she won't say anything to them then I say go ahead.