1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chero, Oct 19, 2012.

1. chero

chero Guest

I am an ftm, transguy.
    I am out to a few people.
    however I am not out to my family.
    My mom is a lesbian, and my dad is a very accepting guy (I am out as lesbian to them because that's what I identified as my freshman year of highschool) and they are obviously divorced.. aha.
    I am still scared to let them know though. My dad is always telling me "you will always be my little girl" or "I love you my beautiful daughter."
    I am thankful for having loving parents, but I still cringe at those statements he makes.
    his "little girl" and "daughter"
    I can't see them calling me "son" without awkwardness or doubt in their eyes.
    or my brothers calling me their brother. But I want that.
    My mom kind of sort of knows. I mean I've dropped hints only a few times since my sophomore year of high school.
    I told my oldest brother my sophomore year that "maybe I'm suppose to be a guy."
    and he said, "no, I've seen people like that, and they're really really butch, so you're not." so that was discouraging..
    I don't know how to go about letting them know.
    Any tips? What should I do?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would come out to them in the way that you feel most comfortable. If you feel most comfortable coming out in person, or in a letter ect. then go for it!!

My mom and dad have always said that I will always be their little girl too. It's just one of those things that parents like to say.

I also think that you said that your mom "sort of knows" that it might be best to come out to her first. From there, you could tell other members of your family.

tl;dr I would come out to the person that you feel most comfortable with in the way that you feel most comfortable with.

3. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi chero

I identify as agender, and my personal pronoun is "it." I'm still working on coming out to new people, and I'm going to be working on it for a long time, because no matter how I dress or act, people just assume that I am either male or female. So, that's my experience, and here are my tips:

Be confident in talking about your gender. It's your gender, you're okay with it, you don't have to beat around the bush. Sometimes people who aren't sure what to think will take their attitude from you, so if you sound upset, they'll think there's something wrong with your gender, whereas if you sound happy, they'll be happy for you.

Some people, especially parents or grandparents, need months or years to absorb new information about you. You can help them by being patient. Calling you "son" or using male pronouns could be a very long-term goal. Start by stating (confidently) that you choose to be a guy, or simply that you are a guy. If you have a preferred male name, asking people to use it might be a good second step.

4. chero

chero Guest

Thanks for your input and tips^^^
    :]