1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Dysfunctions caused from being closeted

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Akatosh, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Akatosh

First post in a couple months - sorry :/, school is eating all of my attention. That is actually what is causing me so many problems right now. I'm in my last semester and the past 3 weeks my performance has been suffering, and I don't know exactly why. I have social anxiety, and find it hard to ask other students, TA's, and professors for help. The anxiety I feel when it is absolutely necessary to ask for help on an assignment/studying is debilitating. I end up telling myself I can figure it out, when it would be so much easier to ask for guidance. I don't think I know how to interact with these people because I don't know who I am. I feel fear when I do speak to my contemporaries, professors, etc, and it revolves around my sexuality. The less I identify with my old self, the harder things become (as time passes, I shed more aspects of my former 'straight' self). It's about time for me to come out, so I can meet my true self in the light and learn how to interact as my non-closeted self. Just this week, I have damaged my grades in two classes tremendously, and I attribute it to my failure to take action and ask for help. I failed an exam on Wednesday hardcore (drop exam), made a zero on a project due Friday because I did not know how to make my program work (scared to talk to TA's), and did not turn in my homework (which I completed mostly) because of the depression that rebounded from this week's anxiety. I just felt too ashamed to get out of bed this morning and slept until 4pm.

WTF is wrong with me? I'm intelligent, I have been making decent grades up until the past 3 weeks. I am a senior in chemical engineering in my LAST semester, and I am F***ing everything up. My major is not easy, but I've gone this far, so why am I acting like this? I think I'm afraid of life after graduation. Will I be happy? Will I fit in at work? Will I be out? Will I find a girl who suits me physically, will I find a guy who suits me emotionally? These are some fears of mine, and there are probably 10 unconscious fears for every conscious fear. I have to make A's and B's to pull myself off academic probation (could possibly afford one C). Obviously, I've been struggling for a long time since I'm on probation. If I don't do well enough, I don't graduate, and I'm kicked out of the school of engineering. I will still be a student of the university, but all my credits have surrounded this major.

I set up an appointment to be screened for a campus support group for gay and bisexual men as of Thursday. They meet once a week, and I HOPE this will give me the strength I need to improve my performance, so I can walk the stage in December. I'm hurting, y'all. I'm scared, I don't know what's wrong with me, and I need help.:tears:

Anyone who is, or has been, in a similar position? I really think most of my problems in life have been unconsciously caused by my closetedness, and I'm not going to let it ruin my life. I'm a warrior, and have overcome a lot in my life (hence graduating at 27). I'm willing to do what it takes to get my spiritual, emotional, and mental self back in good service. I just need a map and a guide. Help me, please.

2. Eleanor Rigby

Hey (*hug*), you're going to be fine honey.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You're in a difficult position here : it's like you've started to cross a river and then froze from fear right in the middle, you can't go back and you're too scared to move forward too, so you're stuck here in the middle, drowning yourself.
    The good thing is : you know what's going on. You realize that this is related to the fact you're closeted. That you want to be truly yourself and that you're scared of other people in the same time. That's ok. Most LGBT people have been there too at some point.
    I think that what you should give yourself a break and keep in mind that coming out isn't a race and that you have to do that at your own pace. What may help you could be to find a space where you can be truly yourself without fears and able to interact with other people about that may help you to go back to interact with other people, even people you're not out to. I hope going to a support group for LGBT people will give you that space you need to be truly yourself.
    Maybe you should also think about getting an appointment with your college counselor. Obviously, you're dealing with a lot of stress and paralyzing anxiety right now. Talking to a counselor can help you a lot with this. I can only encourage you to take that step.
    Last but not least, I think you should think about letting your teachers know you're not doing ok. I know it's something that looks scary and can be very difficult for you to do, but keep in mind teachers are human beings too. That's not going to solve your issues like magic, but I think that if you can find the strength to talk to them and just say "I know I haven't been at my best lately. I am sorry about it. I just wanted to let you know I'm having a hard time right now and I don't really know how to deal with this.", that may help you to reconnect with your teachers. Maybe not all of them would be able to listen, but I am certain that some of them will listen and care and acknowledge your feelings.
    That doesn't mean that you have to come out to them if you don't feel like it, but just let them know you're not doing ok may help you realize that you can still talk to people and be understood even if you're not out to them. Fear and the feeling to be isolated are part of every human experience, what you need is to find a way, your own way, to feel connected to other people again.

If you feel like talking about it, you're always welcome to PM me or any other advisor you'd feel comfortable with.
    Take good care of yourself (*hug*), Cécile

3. quicksplash

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Andmow, I've been in a sort-of similar situation. I used to go to a college far from home and being closeted made things difficult for me there. I'm still in the closet btw. But being up there, I found it hard to get to know people because I don't put myself out there and I "wasn't myself". I'm still trying to work that out as well. Anyways, the next year I ended up living with people without really talking to them- a truly uncomfortable situation. That, along with not knowing anyone enough to be comfortable/relaxed with them sorta contributed to me not doing well in school. I also didn't get help from TAs or the prof since yeah, I didn't feel comfortable about not knowing how the exchange would go.
    You say you're in your last semester, so you're almost there! Its normal to worry, but don't overdo it. I know first-hand that some days it can be hard to get up, because of what happened or didn't happen the day before, but you've got to get up and go on.
    I agree with Eleanor's suggestion of talking to a counselor as well as that going to the support group should help you with some of your fears and worries. Somehow, I feel pretty strongly that you should consider talking to your professors/TAs. I hope you can do that which I was unable to do myself. Please hang in there and graduate!

4. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went through a similar situation, although in grad school. Remaining closeted and lonely/isolated while my friends went on to marry and have kids made it hard to concentrate on my immediate schooling issues. On top of the stress of trying to finish up data analysis and begin writing my thesis, I was also a TA for a few labs. My thesis adviser and I never got off on the right foot to begin with and I found it hard to ask him for help since I thought I should be able to figure it out on my own being a grad student. My progress on my thesis suffered along the way and I received some rough criticism during my second committee meeting for not being farther along. A short while after that I began coming out, telling my best friend and my parents first. Months after the committee meeting it came to the point where my adviser sent me a scathing email wondering what the heck was wrong with me. Coincidentally it was national coming out week where I actually began telling my friends, so I used that opportunity to come out to him too and it helped our relationship a little bit. He was actually more understanding than I thought he would be, as he told me that his sister is a lesbian. I also decided to check out counseling at my college for a bit to deal with the stress of all of this (along with my mother dying at that time too). Although I still had residual anxiety from the way my relationship with my adviser and committee used to be, at least the working relationships improved enough for me to finally finish writing my thesis and successfully defend it.

As others suggested above, I would strongly suggest seeking counseling. Also, I would recommend talking to your professors and TA's, at the very least telling them that you are having issues outside of school affecting your school work. You could either leave it generically as "personal problems/issues" or you could use the opportunity to come out to them if you feel like they would be accepting of your orientation. Most people in college tend to be more liberal, so you would probably be fine coming out to them. If you do come out it will probably help more with your overall coming out process and prepare you for telling people later on in life (& make you more comfortable with it).

Just realize that it is completely understandable that years of suppressing your emotions will manifest itself in some manner, in our cases via struggling with schooling. The procrastination and lack of focus that you're feeling is associated with depression. Outside of counseling, the best thing you can do for yourself is to keep busy so you are not just sitting around (or laying in bed all day) constantly thinking about all of your problems and feeling helpless to it. Even if it isn't initially schoolwork, keep busy doing something productive (e.g. working out, cleaning, doing something with friends, etc.).

Hang in there! (*hug*)

5. Akatosh

Thanks Eleanor and quicksplash for the encouraging words. You absolutely made me feel better today. I got a lot of work done, and am focusing on one day at a time. I'm going to a gay/bisexual men's group on campus this week, and I might start things back up with my therapist. I don't really like her, so I might wait until I switch therapists. She's very condescending and is not particularly a nice person. I haven't told her about my orientation because I don't trust her emotionally (I know that's bad), so I haven't told her. I'm going to finish my project (I failed to turn in Friday = 0) so I can keep up with my group and class. I'm going to contact my prof whose test I failed Wednesday and ask for suggestions (as well as making it to class). After I get caught up, I will continue to take measures to stay ahead like I was at the beginning of the semester.

I don't like how I fall into these horrible patterns of avoidance. I know it stems from my fear of rejection due to my sexuality, and not knowing who I am. I find that to be the biggest mystery. How am I supposed to act like a dependable person when my view of myself is so sketchy. I feel like a part of me has been suppressed for so log, that it's entirely underdeveloped. Moving forward and developing confidence in my suppressed self is what I want to work on in order to avoid people less/not at all. I'm sure I will get a lot of good advice out of this support group I'm joining. I'm really excited and just as nervous.

And thank you, Perfect Insanity. Was writing my reply while you were writing yours. I have been productive today, spending 5 hours doing an error analysis for lab (not done :astonished:, but that's how error analysis goes.. Tedious crap).

#5 Akatosh, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012