1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Christians, do you go to Church?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wonderingdave01, Oct 21, 2012.

?

LGBT Christians, do you guys go to Church

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. Other (state below)

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. At the LGBT center I go, one of my friends there is a Muslim who said that he still goes to the mosque. So that inspired me to go back to Church with my mom again. Unlike a lot of Christian or Catholic parents my mom isn't the type to force me to go, but she seems really happy when I do go, and a little disappointed when I don't.

I've seen a lot people on the site identify as Christians, but do you guys go to Church too? Just wondering.

#1 wonderingdave01, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  2. CalebCael

Even though my church is very non-denominational often times I just can't bring myself to go, as it often just makes me feel uncomfortable, which isn't how a church should feel. But it is an irrational feeling on my part. I go every once in a blue moon but that's about it.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not often.

4. Rygirl

I did every week, but not so much lately, my church has started a petition to abolish the gay marriage bill.

5. Gen

Gen

I dont, but not because of my sexuality at all. Honestly, I feel that church has become something it shouldnt be.

Dressing up, Singing for the majority of the sermons, the unspoken ranking that often goes on. I wont go into specifics, but I just dont care for it. Not to say that it has gotten worse over the years, there were always flaws in it, but thats the point. I feel that it is just deeply flawed.

6. burg

i have never had a belief in god and don't think i ever will.but i have recently discovered how much i like the Quakers philosophy.basically they believe no one or place is more holy or closer to god than any other place or any one else.hence they don't have a church but a meeting house and call them self a society of friends.invented the concept of freedom of speech and religion literally .refuse to take up arms(resistance without violence)presently focused on gay rights .and don't believe they have a monopoly on the truth.hence why i probably keep seeing them pop up in science history.

7. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every Sunday, I love my church.

8. Fiddledeedee

I go to church and church groups as often as I can. I've grown up a part of it, and whilst I don't agree with everything (e.g. the way Communion can be ritualised) I still love it. The fact that I'm not out to many church friends sometimes saddens me, but mostly it's a non-issue.

9. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, but I'd prefer a different church.

10. csocm

I grew up at my church and I am really close to my youth group. I go almost every week and am pretty involved. I was also recently confirmed and a fair amount of time I have mentioned LGBT related things (out to about half of my group.)

11. dano22

dano22 Guest

I go to my catholic church mostly every sunday and it is right now a hard experience. I live in Minnesota so they mention gay marriage every week. The crazy thing it is the first time I ever heard my church speak out so loudly about gay marriage. It is very tempting to leave my church and I might actually do so because it is getting to be too much.

12. Pain

Pain Guest

Usually I went to church back at my hometown, but it was mostly for a musical obligation. Instead, now, I study myself, and keep my own rituals and don't tack my beliefs to a specific church or sect of Christianity.

13. Hawthorne

Are you me and am I not telling myself this?

But in all seriousness, No I do not go to church because I believe that it is not our place to judge and all they do is seem to judge and not do anything but that so I just chose to not go and my parents whom I went with all my life said I want you to go but I said I disagree with the principles of the church and do not felt like I am called there so I do not go at all now. I wish I could find a church that would accept me for who I am and what I stand for but that will not happen for quite a long time. Also recently my old church lost something like 200+ people from 400 or so and they put out a note to everyone that the needed to start giving more in the offering, I am sorry but people are giving because the feel that they should so do not ask for more I mean come on really?

14. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I grew up in a very ultra Conservative Traditional Catholic Church, *SSPX* if you know what that means. So no, I don't think I will be going anytime soon. Which is sad because I always LOVED going. It was very peaceful there for me. But now that I know I my sexuality I don't think its safe:icon_sad:

#14 Rachyl, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  15. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cried myself to sleep on Saturday and cried when I woke yesterday morning. Reason? I feel incomplete because I still have girly clothes (I identify as butch). I have to dress girly when I go to church, and always feel extremely uncomfortable. But I don't know how the people will react if I go dressed the way I would feel comfortable (button shirt, pants and (obviously) men's formal shoes)... I also don't know how my parents would feel to be seen with me dressed that way.

It really tears me apart and I just don't know what to do. Do I keep a couple of girly things specifically for church, or do I go all out? Needless to say, I was too upset to go to church yesterday. Apparently it was a beautiful service, so I'm sad to have missed out. I don't want my sexuality or the clothes issue to stop me. But it's a big deal to me in general. I noticed the gay/lesbian community is very image-conscious and so am I. I want to look good but at the same time feel comfortable.

On the other hand I have to consider those around me. :goodevil: So when it comes to something like religious attendance, I have to really sit down and talk to them about my feelings.

To answer your question: Yes, I do go to church. Admittedly not on a regular basis :icon_redf but I do go

16. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Love your sig:icon_bigg

17. Raindrop

I go to church every Sunday because I was pretty much raised in the church and consider myself strongly Christian (I am of United denomination though). My church has many practicing gay Christians and I feel safe there. I may one day even bring a future girlfriend.

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2012 at 10:56 PM ----------

Have you tried United? It's a newer denomination of Christianity and it does many things for the community and for other cities, provinces/territories/states and countries. They are big on acceptance as well. We listen a bit more to the New Testemant where Jesus says love each other instead of the Old Testemant where it's like "all the gentils(sp?) and their dog is damned!". I'd like to point out that a gentil is someone who is not Jewish. Christians are not Jewish. Do with that statement what you will.

18. Megan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I go to church because my parents like me to go however I feel that I would go on my own. The reasoning behind this is I can back up my "lifestyle" and dont feel over pressured by the christian community I am currently at. :slight_smile:

19. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I go to church, mainly because my parents force me to go. I'm attending a southern baptist church, and going to the services aren't too much fun if you are lgbt. I wish I could find another church, but my mom insists on me staying at this one.

20. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is actually a very strange thing about me. I am a lesbian, but also an athiest. My father is also a non-beleiver, but my mom is protestant, and beleives that god helps the earth in many ways... etc. Therefore, I am LGBT I go to church, but I am not a Christian.

For others who veiw this tread, I would be very interessted to know the tolerance of LGBT people in other religions, maybe I should make a thread about that.