1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents deserve better than me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vhrebels, Oct 21, 2012.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I'm so disappointed in my self. My parents raised me to be a good person and all, and they really don't deserve to have a homosexual for a son. My mom and dad are really good christian people and it would devastate them if they knew. I really don't ever feel like coming out to them, because I wouldn't be able to handle their reaction. If they knew they would assume that I would be promiscuious and would be a sick person. I could never do that to my parents. I really love them and I would never want them to have to experience the pressures of having a gay son. I've just about failed them in every way that I possibly could by being gay. My parents believe that homosexuality is wrong, but they claim not to hate homosexuals. My mom's step brother is most likely gay, but my parents seem to get along with him fine when he's in town. I really don't know what to do at all with any of this, and I've been really depressed about it. I know my parents wouldn't disown me, but I'm really emotional and dramatic and I could never deal with giving them such horrible news. What should I do? I really don't want to stay in the closet my whole life, and I want to start dating, but my parents would be so upset That I don't think I could ever tell them.

2. leslly

Out Status:
    A few people
    Being a homosexual doesn't automatically make you a bad person. In fact there are many straight people who have done horrible things throughout history and even in our present society. Please, don't think yourself as sick or bad. You're a human being and you're beautiful inside and out, no matter who you love. Remember it's not who you love that makes you the person you are, but how you love.

3. Joey4

Hey bud, shit happens.

And don't take that the wrong way. What I'm saying is that there's some things we choose in life and other things are chosen for us. You speak of who you are is if it's something you've deliberately done to hurt your parents. You haven't. These are the cards we've been delt, my friend, and it's too late to change hands. Your parents will love you no matter what, even if it's hard for them to accept you at first. We all have to deal with adversity in life. We deal with it alone and we deal with it together.

Give yourself a chance, give your parents a chance. You may be surprised.

Good luck.

4. Ticklish Fish

Alan Turing was a gay scientist.... he's not bad, at all.

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I'd say you're not a bad person for being gay. I'm a bad person. I am most likely gay. But correlation does not imply causation. I'm going to be honest. If your parents will think less of you for being gay, then they don't deserve better than you, you deserve better than them. That your diction and grammar are more sophisticated than most people on the internet suggests you are more intelligent than average, so your parents should be happy!

But here's the sad thing. I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm going to go off to college, but then I'm going to unfortunately have to cut off contact with them. It's not ideal, I know, but what can you do? You might have to do that.

6. Pain

Pain Guest

Like everyone else says, being gay doesn't make you a bad person. That can't be reiterated enough. You say in your information you "think [you're] gay," so I'll wager that you coming out at this point might not be best; you need to do some introspection: why do you think homosexuality makes you a bad person? And is it purely from a Christian perspective?

In fact, Christianity has the complete capacity to be fully accepting of LGBT people. It's the translation that gets messed up. I would recommend reading or watching Matthew Vines' Gay Debate. It's quite lengthy, but it's worth it. Trust me. Also, if you're still convinced that homosexuality is a sin, then Hebrews 8:6-13, Heb. 9:15, and Heb 9:25-28 are good verses to look up.

Stay strong. Know that God and your parents love you. I'm sure you aren't a bad person. (*hug*)

7. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I always found the dislike towards people from Christians that say "The Bible says no to homosexuality" ridiculous. Do you want to live your life by the Bible? Then slavery is totally fine. Oh, and remember, always beat your slaves properly.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that others have said this, but being gay does not make you a bad person. What makes somebody a bad person is doing things against the law or things that are ethically wrong.

The bible makes no direct mention of homosexuality. The verses that some christians say are the reason the homosexuality is a sin are really misinterpreted.

9. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Please you are NOT a bad person.(*hug*) Being Gay is just as AWESOME as being straight. It is part of who you are.

besides being gay, is only one part of what makes you....well you.:icon_bigg