1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weddings - How do I fit in?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by squally89, Oct 21, 2012.

1. squally89

I was grocery shopping today and I bumped in a girlfriend who I known in high school. She's kind of a person who has no filters and asked me "When did you switch to the other side?" (I told her I was gay a year and a half ago) and I was like "Um I don't know I guess I always knew". We talked about other stuff, but would always go back to me being gay like "So when did you know?" she would ask and "So are you top or bottom?".

I didn't answer most of her questions and simply laughed and asked how she was doing.

After we talked, it got me thinking. I am different. And me working in events got me thinking: How would a gay person fit in a heterosexual wedding? I know I can be a groomsmen, but what if my friends husband/wife was really religious? Does that mean I shouldn't be in the wedding?

Have anybody ever been to a wedding and you were the only gay person?

2. Hawthorne

Yes. and yes, I kinda just did my own thing I was there for my friend that is all that was important if someone has a problem that is their issue and believe me it seems strange at first but you know what in the end it was no big deal and it doesn't matter what they think about you cause you are you and they can deal with it if not it's kind of a waste of time in my opinion(sorry if that sounds like I am a jerk but that is my feeling) because if they can't love you how are they gonna love someone else.

3. BudderMC

My cousin got married a couple of years ago, and I guess they're at least somewhat religious since they had the ceremony in a church and all that. Anyways, his brother is very much gay and very flamboyant, and it turns out he was the best man.

I guess you fit into a wedding just like anyone else: if you're asked to take part, you (likely) happily oblige. And if they don't ask you, unless it's blatantly obvious they did so because of your sexuality, I'd be careful to not bring it up under that premise; there might have been other valid reasons for doing so. Though ultimately, I think given that it is "their day", they do get to call the shots for it.

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, a couple weeks ago my best friend got married. I was one of his groomsman and also the only gay one. Sexual orientation doesn't really play into any of that in my opinion..

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It shouldn't play a big role. I'm sure that in some situations that it probably does (ex the family is homophobic), but it really shouldn't.

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same issue...

Obviously I won't be wearing any dresses or fancy-ass girly stuff so I'll probably stand out like a sore thumb. But it'll take some getting used to. If I were chosen as someone's maid of honour or even just a bridesmaid, I'll suck it up and <shudders> wear a dress but if I were a guest only, I'll be in pants, a button shirt (maybe even a tie) and men's shoes.

This was one of the first things my mother asked me about when I came out to them. Lol

7. squally89

And what did you say to your mother? (curious)

I told my best GF about this, she was like "You have nothing to worry about. You will be at my wedding no matter what". (Awe moment)

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been to several weddings. I have never had a problem. I guess its the bride and grooms day so they invite who they want so if they invite you, everyone else has to just deal with it, even if they wouldnt have gay friends themselves.

9. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just sort of shrugged and then said it doesn't really matter what I wear, what matters is my being there. She also referred to the looks one of our LGBT family friends get whenever she's at a function/event, and asked if I want to get the same treatment... I just said I hadn't noticed the weird looks and that I wouldn't mind :lol:

10. Jim1454

If you're invited to participate, then that's your answer. It's fine.