1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i looking at this the wrong way

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by burg, Oct 21, 2012.

1. burg

Ive just been researching Alan Mathison Turing, ( 23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954) widely considered to be the father of computer science and artificial intelligence.when steve jobs said we all are piggy backing on the shoulders of a great gay man.he meant alan turing.after being convicted of homosexuality he was given the choice of going to jail or female hormones to cure his gay (wtf by the way really female hormones ok).any way he killed himself with cyanide on a apple(forbidden fruit).im used to hearing about injustice but this story got me down.not only because of what happened but because Ive never heard about it.just feel like every one should know what he did for the world and what happened to him.but the choice was made to ignore a great wrong.sorry for the rant aye..

2. Catkin

I'd agree with you, Turing's story is really depressing. The fact that the man who was crucial in decoding Enigma, was repaid by is country after the war with persecution that drove him to his death, is truly horrendous.
    I don't think it is true that he has been forgotten however. The first time I heard about him was during a tv documentary, entirely devoted to his story. He is one of the only gay historical figures who I have seen covered by the mainstream media.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, and in a way, he will live on in the use of the term "Turing test". It is a huge embarrassment to our culture that we allowed that to happen. I would like to believe that even the bigoted religious crazies can eventually get this lesson.

4. burg

yea one part of me is thinking look at what one man can do .but another part is saying look how irrational and evil man can be.i do believe even the crazies can get this lesson .

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2012 at 08:50 AM ----------

at least his ideas will out last main stream media:slight_smile:.pretty gutted I've only just heard about him.