1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling My Brother and Sister

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Eddard, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Eddard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's almost been nine months since I've started coming out, and I've hit a plateau. My parents and almost all of my friends know, as well as some assorted other people. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But, I've been trying to figure out how to tell my brother and sister. We're on good terms, and I definitely know they would support me. I didn't grow up with them, since they live in a different city and they're both way older than me. But the main problem is that they both live about 3.5 hours away.

I'd like to tell them in person, ideally. But I only really see them a few times a year, usually around certain holidays. My parents are always around for those, and part of me would rather talk to them as siblings. But even more importantly, I don't want to come out during one of those holidays and, as it were, make the time "about me". If that makes sense.

As for emailing or Facebook messaging, I've considered it. I've done it before for some people who are close to me (perhaps closer than my brother and sister). But again, I'm not sure about it. I'd like to just get it over with, but I'd also like to make it an intimate moment, and hopefully grow closer with them by doing this.

The thing is, they're one of my last "obstacles" (funny word here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) in coming out. Once I'm finished with a few more people, I can start to prepare for being "totally out".

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice is welcome.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If coming out during a holiday is the only practical time, I don't see much of a reason why you couldn't. It wouldn't necessarily make the holiday "all about you" - they'll have other things going on, and as your parents already know, they won't have to keep any secrets.

The only other thing I can think of is going to see them for a short visit - but that doesn't really give them any time to themselves if they do, by some chance, want to take a bit to process things. If there will be lots of family around during the holidays, they'll be able to take that time then.