1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bestfriend being homophobic

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by emilym3, Oct 22, 2012.

1. emilym3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok so today me and my bestfriend and a few others where hanging out me and the others( not including my bestfriend) are all bi and me and my bestfriend dicthed the group and went to the shops on the way back we got on the topic of lgbt and i had told him i was bi but when i mentioned 2 of my other friends guy on guy makeing out he got all homophobic and starting to say thats disgusting and all that and it makes me not want to tell him that i am trans because of how he will react any suggestions on what i should do

2. Pat

Pat

It's easy, yet hard. You just have to stop being friends with someone who can't accept you. It's a sign of maturity that he's just not at yet. Maybe later in life you'll get back together or he'll miss being around you. For now, you have to shed the "weight" or people that are going to hold you back from being comfortable with who you are and happy.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Hopefully it's just a temporary phase of ignorance that he'll grow out of in time. Some of my own friends used to say insensitive things when they were younger, but since then they've matured and realised the errors of their ways. If he continuously refuses to accept LGBT people and shows no signs of progress in becoming more tolerant, then you'll probably just have to find yourself a new best friend. Keeping determinedly homophobic "friends" around simply isn't worth the effort. You mentioned having other friends that are bi: perhaps confide more in them from now on? They're much more likely to accept, understand, and try to help out with what you're going through; which is what any real best friend should do.