1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Brother Problem

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LightningRider, Oct 22, 2012.

1. LightningRider

So those of you who are familiar with me know that I have no qualms with who I am.
    It was mostly a huge relief to know I wasn't just some freak-a-zoid who felt they weren't supposed to be the gender they were. And coming out to my Mum as being transgendered was far easier and better than I ever anticipated...
    I know for a fact she spoke to my Nan (grandmother) about this - it was always known to me that she'd tell someone. Nan hasn't said anything but she definitely would've if she felt strongly about it in a bad way.

I definitely want to tell the rest of my family.
    And therein lies the largest of problems.

My brother.
    I think I would be able to handle it if everyone else in my family was repulsed or angered or upset... but I don't think I could live through it if my brother was like that.
    He's not just my little brother, he's my best friend and the one person in this whole world who I love without question even when he is being the most irritating of asshats.

I've been trying to tell him since before I told Mum, but I keep backing out.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to accomplish with this post... mostly I think I just need to tell someone my fears.
    So yeah... :confused:

2. Haley M

Haley M Guest

Don't worry, just take your time. Eventually you should be able to tell him.

3. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think that you actually want to people to tell you to come out to your brother. You need support right now, and, of course, you'll find it here(*hug*)

Having said that, you didn't tell anything about your brother. I mean, we don't know if he is homophobic (know it's not the same thing, but sadly, for a large number of people it's still a same thing), or if he is indifferent to the matter. That tells me you don't see him as a potentially hatter of the idea, so it comes to the natural fear to being rejected.

As your brother, he may not be as willing to think of you on a different way, but if what I see through your words is true, he may not have a problem at all. Well, he may take his time to come to terms with it*, but I think that, in the end, he will gladly accept you.

Anyway, do't tell him right away, take your time, and look for a opportunity where you feel confortable and confident on yourself.(*hug*)

-----
    *As I told my friends: "It took me 19 years to accept me, I don't expect you to accept me in 19 minutes".