1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTF, friend awkwardness

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Valarie, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Valarie

Valarie Guest

So I've been going through transition
    working up my courage to tell people

went out with my friends 2 nights ago (they are all guys)
    I've told one of them, going to tell the rest soon
    felt awkward last night and didn't talk that much and was just bored with the whole night

been thinking about it and might be because my friends are all straight guys and I have nobody from my side (a girl, never had many female friends when I was older, and when I did they didn't last)
    guess it just hit me the other night ...
    thoughts?

2. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello Valarie!!!(*hug*)

I think he's still digesting the idea. After all, his vision of you suddenly changed. This doesn't necesarily mean he is not accepting you, nor he is having trouble with it, he is just taking his time to do it.

When I came out to my 2 friends, it was really easy, since one of them is transgender. Being now his girlfriend, he already made to the idea that eventually will be his boyfriend/husband. I was affraid that his girlfriend and now one of his best friends turned out to be transgender. So he was really nervous after that. Until the day he asked me to crossdress in front of him. After that, he grasped the matter, and now we as normal together as before I told them.

And believe me, we talk about that matter a lot (not each and every word, but a lot indeed).

What I'm trying to say is that, even when he already has come to understand and accept transgenderism, it took him time to feel comfortable with it. So, just give your friend some time.

Hope this helps you!!!(*hug*)

3. Haley M

Haley M Guest

Valerie, do you have anyone else that you can talk to at all that is female? If not then maybe try to go to a lgbt support group. A lot of people on this website say that they are great!

4. Valarie

Valarie Guest

well, my friend is actually pretty cool with it
    its me that felt awkward ... not toward him but just my friends as a group
    they were saying the usual boy things when going out to a bar and about weight lifting ....
    though I do like to hang out with them for bbqs and parties and board games and stuff

I have my sister and cousin, both live at home with me, but not the same as having friends ...
    I do have some acquaintance from pflag meetings, though haven't spent time with them out of the meetings ...

5. J Snow

I totally know what you mean!

After coming out to one of my roommates everything causes so much awkwardness. I don't think its actually him being uncomfortable. Its me =/ I mean honestly the same kind of awkwardness is still lingering around with most of my friends for being out as gay...