1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm really stressed out and need to talk

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander69, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Alexander69

All that my parents do when they are around me is complain about everything I do I'm so sick of it! It ruins me slowly I can't seem to do Anything right for them ever I get bitched at by my mom for being too rude and my attitude and them my dad complains about my career goals. OMG I'm so stressed I just want to cry. I just need to talk to someone :frowning2: my mom gives me more attitude then anyone she feels so entitled to everyting it's so anoying!!!!! She bitched at me because when she was home last night she had to put 1 dish in the dish washer. IM LIKE ARE YOU SERRIOUS!!! Then she yells at me saying I give her attitude. Yes sometimes I do because she just won't freaking listen to me so I yell at her then she's like "don't you dare talk to me like that how dare you" I'm like you never listen to me when I'm speaking so I have to yell it at you! Then she texts me and tells me my father and her are heading to Hawaii next week didnt even tell me in person. I'm sorry I needed to vent!

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Alexander! Venting is good, and this what EC is here for as well! No reason to be sorry about it. (*hug*)

I think it would be a good idea to talk with your mom and your dad, in a calm way, and tell them how some of the things they are saying to you, make you feel. Sometimes, it is good not to yell back or engage in an argument but rather just to answer back with a calm voice and maybe even say right at that moment, "I don't think you are being fair."

Maybe ask your mom, why didn't she tell you in person that she is going with your dad to Hawaii next week?

3. Joey4

I hope you read and understand this.

When I was your age, my mom and I got along better than it sounds like you and your parents did. Still, I would use a dish and set it by the sink when I was done with it. That was when I was 17. Now that I'm 26 and live with three other roommates, it drives me nuts when I have to go behind somebody and clean up their mess.

It's so easy to put a dish in the dishwasher, right? Why is your mom even complaining about it?! . . because it's so easy to put a dish in the dishwasher. It wouldn't kill you to take that extra step. Your parents lives are just as stressful as your's. It sucks when they have to worry about their problems and take care of the things you should be doing.

You're 17 and it's time to grow up. If you're living at home with no-to-few bills, it's time clean up after yourself and find things around the house that need to be done and do them. If you want respect and appreciate from your parents, you have to earn it. Then maybe they'll get off your case.

4. Gen

Gen

I'm sorry I have to with Jo on this one.

I know it probably isnt going to seem fair at the moment, and I myself dont really agree with angry over dishes and such because it really isnt worth the steam. However, if the idea in your household is to put the dishes immediately in the dish washer than it shouldnt be that back. When I was younger, we would switch off on cleaning dishes as a whole daily, and yes no one wanted to do it, but it was done without issue.

So I'm not saying that you more is right in getting hostile, but if you dont want to get hit by a bus, stay out of the street. If she wants you to do something, do it. Arguing with her just isnt worth the time or effort. People can only get you as angry as you let them. It takes two to feud.

5. Alexander69

I do do the dishes sometimes we used to have someone to clean up and make dinner for us and then my Parents fired him. So now I try to do them but it was 1 dish she doesn't even work for god sakes she goes shopping all the Time every day and is out with her friends while I'm home alone and complains about 1 dish? If it were my dad that would be different because he works all the time and I barley see him. Ugh I love my mom she just gets under my skin

6. Joey4

..sounds like a hard life.

7. Alexander69

It is a hard life. I just want to move out and start my own life at this point I could care less if I was poor as shit. I just need a new start.

8. Jim1454

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Reading this makes me think you're more like your mother than you think...

I'm quite certain that there are people here who really ARE poor - who have trouble finding enough money in their budget each week to eat. And I'm quite certain that if they're reading this right now, they're thinking the same thing I am. That you have absolutely no idea how fortunate you are, because if you did, you wouldn't EVER wish that you were poor and on your own to avoid being reprimanded for leaving a dish out.

So, if you don't think you're like your mom, then take up the responsibility that a 17 year old is capable of. Clean up after yourself. Address your parents respectfully. Say please and thank you. Let them know how appreciative you are for what they've been able to provide for you and mind your own business. If your mother wants to shop all day and 'do lunch' with her friends, that's her and your dad's business.

Not yours.

9. Pat

Pat

Sounds about normal to me. lol. The teen years are rocky between mothers and sons. Hell, just rocky with parents period. Not really getting both sides of the story though. As you get older, you do start to listen a lot more to your parents and what they are saying to you. There's gotta be a reason you Dad feels this way about your goals, perhaps work ethic.. If your Mom wants to have the kitchen clean and it's your job, you just have to git r done. I mean.. unless you're ready to move lol. There's nothing you can do about this relationship other than to figure out how to coexist or how to stay the hell away from them when they're moody. When I'm moody or I can sense that my mom is moody, I just go away. It works better. We communicate okay, lots of laughs. When I was your age literally all we did was fight. We had no other connection lol. The best advice I can give you is either learn how to play by their rules even if they are unfair ones, or it's time for you to try to be independent and get your own place or head to school whatever the case may be. Try communicating calmly also. Set the tone for your Mom, take her to lunch or something and just talk there, it's less likely to escalate in a public place and just tell her how you feel about things. You have to set the tone sometimes because she has a lot going on also I'm sure. And if you can hang with your dad at his job or just do something that you normally wouldn't do with him, it'll make him feel more inclined to relax with you. They just want to see you succeed. I don't think there's ill will here. All these emotions you have right now totally and 100 percent are related to the fact that you're in the closet. I'll guarantee it. You want to feel wanted but you don't realize that you're pushing them away. It's okay to be where you are, you just have to make an effort to get out of these feelings.

#9 Pat, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  10. Alexander69

Seeeee that's it it was 1 dish! And she complained she has never worked a day in her life! All she does is shop! I know she have birth to me and I love her its just I find it hard to respect her when she never had any goals for her self. And my dad Doesn't think I should go on to real estate du law to the fact that the economy goes up then down and he says its risky and that I can get my license but have another job as well

11. redstormrising

your mom may not have worked a day in her life, but right now you are living under your parents' roof, and so you need to abide by their rules. and if that means you put away a dish, then you put it away. i don't think you would know how to survive being poor. the amount of money you've admitted to dropping on a t-shirt is nearly obscene when you consider that some posters here don't even know where their next meal is coming from. i know you are trying to change, but old habits die hard - it won't happen overnight. if not having a vacation in a month, having to put away a dish, and no longer having someone who cleans up after you and cooks your dinner is your idea of hardship, you are extremely fortunate to not know what real hardship is. i hope you never have to find out, but please try to remember that you have a lot to be thankful for.

i would also like to thank you for reminding me to stay down to earth. my partner and i are both in high-earning careers, but we make a concerted effort to stay "normal" and in touch with what is reality for most people. i know this is how you were raised, so you probably don't know any different and can't be faulted for that, but it is not how we grew up and it isn't what we want for our (future) kids or ourselves.

12. MichaelB

I'm apparently exactly the same age as you. Literally 2 weeks or so older.

I live on my own. I have to do the entire cleaning on my own, cook for myself, do the bills etc. No offense but grow up a little. Even when I still lived at home, I still contributed to the house hold running.

If I had to clean up after someone that was of adult age, I would flip out every single time too. What makes you think it's fair that you don't have to clean up your own mess? You're nearlly 18... >_>. Teenagers have a hard time accepting that the rules that governed their lives no longer apply once you're about 15/16. Take responsibility.

Again, no offense but I'd love to see you try and live on your own for a month. If you complain about one dish, ooh my f*ck, you'd be living in hell. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.The very first job I had to do after the last tennant of this flat moved out was hover everything, and let me tell you, it was disgusting to the point where I was heaving...

#12 MichaelB, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012