1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel a little hurt....or shouldn't I be, and just move on?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BabyBoy, Feb 6, 2008.

1. BabyBoy

Ok so I applied for this Creative Writing class next year at my school, and it's the first time this class has been attempted, so he could only pick a few students, I forget how many. But to get into the class, you had to be in an interview, and fill out an application. I tried to go for it, cuz I'm a great writer. In 8th grade, I won a NATIONAL writing award for Scholastic Art and Writing or whatever. I didn't just win the little state thing, no, I won NATIONAL! And I didn't get picked for the class. So I'm all confused, upset, annoyed, whatever else, because out fo four electives, that's the ONLY one I wanted, on top of the fact that even if I didn't want it that bad, I feel I deserved it over some of the students he picked. I feel like he picked most of them because he knew them better and had them as students before, and me, he's only talked to me about 4 times in the past 3 years.

And I'm gonna be a senior, so it's not like I'll ever be able to get to do the class again.

Grrrrr.:tears:

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well it doesn't matter whether you should be hurt or not, you are! Maybe you could go talk to the teacher and tell them that you really want to be in the class so if anybody drops out or moves, you would like to be kept on a waiting list. Then talk about all your accomplishments AGAIN! Let him/her know you are still really interested!!

3. Alexander

If you explain the situation, there shouldn't be a problem. MOST teachers aren't jerks out to get you, hehe.

4. Psychedelic Bookmarks

perhaps the teacher was trying not to hurt the kids he already knew, like not wanting to betray them or whatever :S just try and remember that you obviously are a good writer, and it's his loss, yeah? :slight_smile:

5. justjoshoh

Depending on his lesson plans, he may think that your abilities exceed the content of the course. After all, you did win a national writing award. It doesn't take a structured class to begin creative writing though. If you try to get in again and still are unable, don't let it discourage you from writing beyond the curriculum.

6. Louise

Like Becky said whether you should feel hurt or not is not the question, you do and that is what matters. I think it is important for you to go and see the teacher and ask why he didn't pick you because otherwise you will always have doubts.

Did he not pick you because you already have a certain level of competence and he can be of more help to those who don't? or did he not realise how important this is for you and that your interest is genuine and that you already have a gift for this? Explain also that as a senior you won't get another chance at this class, he may not have fully taken that into consideration.

Don't just keep it to yourself otherwise it will make you unhappy. Good luck (*hug*)