1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back to councelling

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. shy

shy

I was seeing a doctor yesterday and for certain reasons we decided it would be best to be talking to a therapist again. I know my doc is absolutely right about this because I considered this on my own before and I contacted my former therapist today. But I'm kinda scared to tell my parents (they have to know since they'll have to pay for it). Last time my mum just freaked out and I have no reason to presumpt it would be any different this time. I already texted her that I wanted councelling again but she didn't answer yet (her cellphone is most likely off). Has anyone some advice on how to tell my parents?:help:

2. Amicus

If you don't mind my asking, why did your mother get upset the first time? Was there any specific reason?

I think that some parents get upset at the idea of their children in therapy because it seems to them like they've failed in some way. "WHAT? YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT HAPPY AND NORMAL?!" Sometimes I think it gets lost that mental diseases are legitimate diseases that happen to affect your behavior, and re-training your brain is an important part of treatment.

In telling them, I would emphasize the fact that your doctor has recommended it: seeing a therapist is medical advice, which they would ignore at the risk of your health. Maybe say something like this:

"Hey, Mom and Dad. I went to go see Dr. [Name] recently, and (s)he said that for the sake of my health, I should really start seeing a therapist again. I agree with him/her, and I've contacted my old therapist to set up an appointment."

I'm not sure how health insurance works where you are, but does your therapist already have the information on file since you've worked with them before? That could provide substantial help. Do you have any source of income, even a small one? If, in the unhappy event that your parents refuse to pay, you could also ask your therapist's office if you can pay off your balance with small, monthly payments (I've known practices here in the US that will let you do it in amounts as small as $10 per month; it will take a long time to pay off that way if you incur a lot of expenses, but if you have any kind of income source it could be doable). Make sure you ask about payment/insurance options BEFORE you see your therapist.

Good luck, and get well (*hug*)

3. shy

shy

I think the first time she was mainly shocked but her words were pretty much inapropriate (sth like "well, first you have to stop playing computer games and what the hell for do you want to see a therapist? What good can he do?"). She's not the kind of person who has a lot of trust to medical treatments, she's more like "if it's physical it won't kill you and if it's mental I got god to help me"... seems to work for her.

No, I don't have any income, safe the money I get for lunch, clothes and needs from my parents. Since I've been loosing weight during the last weeks (what is quite an achievement with my body) it wouldn't be wise to safe money by going on a diet. I don't actually think my parents wouldn't pay for it (since it's about 10% self pay and 90% insurance). It's more like I don't have any energy left to discuss the matter with them in order to defend my point of view.

And it's done by now. I did it in a way of a statement that doesn't offer much of a discussion and they just asked why I wanted to see him again. It was easier than I thought.

Thank you for your help (*hug*)