1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triads and Polyamorous relationships.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SriManayaDasan, Oct 23, 2012.

?

Triads and Polyamorous relationships.

1. I don't like them. Relationships are meant for two people.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. I wouldn't be in one, but they don't bother me.

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. I'm not in one, but I'm curious on what they're like.

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. I'm in one. The more the better!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. What do you think of these?

I'm not totally against them. In fact, I think I'll ultimately want one later on down the road.

Branching from this, what would you do if you are in a relationship with a wonderful guy/girl, you absolutely love them and confide in them spiritually and emotionally and feel like that love could (and should) be shared with another person; but they are not 100% willing and able to do such a thing?

2. Redell

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted for I don't like them but just because it irks me because of the sex.

I really like to keep things simple and I think being in a relationship with 2 other people just complicates things unnecessarily. A couple is just more intimate.

I have really deep, intimate relationships with a lot of my friends (in a non-sexual way) and my relationship with them is so important to me. So I guess in a way that's sort of polyamorous? For me the whole polyamorous thing just seems to be about sex. And sex with more than one person has never been high on my priority list. But everyone's different.

3. timo

It's not my cup of tea at all and I really wouldn't want to be in one. It doesn't bother me what other couples do though. Live and let live.

4. Kohut

Kohut Guest

"If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second." — Johnny Depp

I think this tells everything. However, I don't care about what other people do, as long as it's not my boyfriend. If I love someone, all my love is for that person and for anybody else.

5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I could never personally be in a polygamous relationship since I'm way too monogamy oriented. If I'm with you it's 100%. Loving and caring for 1 person is enough for me. :wink: However, if people want to do that and are genuinely happy then it's fine if it works for them. I just can't wrap my head around it.

6. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I don't see anything wrong with it. I used to be entirely against being in a polyamorous relationship myself, but I've recently come around to thinking I would be okay with it if things worked out that way. However, I do not see myself seeking out such a relationship, if not for any other reason than because I am rarely close, romantically or otherwise, to more than one person at a time anyways.

Your second question is a bit trickier because it depends on the specifics of the situation. Are they willing to try polyamory, or are they completely against it? How strong is your desire for a polyamorous relationship versus a monogamous one? If polyamory would be nice but its absence won't cause too much unhappiness, then it would likely be best to keep the relationship monogamous. If polyamory is practically a requirement, then it would be worth trying to negotiate with the person. However, things may not work out, in which case it might be better to look for a new partner, as painful as that would be.

7. BNQ2012

The closest answer to my thoughts is "I wouldn't be in one, but they don't bother me." I have been in poly relationships before and didn't find it too terrible. If they work for other people... more power to them! The problem for me is that while I believe that love can be unlimited, time and resources are not. It is very hard for me to get what I want and need out of a relationship with a person who has too many irons in the fire. This is particularly true because I have only done the variant of poly where I am only involved romantically with one other party in the relationship. I am not jealous by nature but if I person isn't around enough or doesn't spend enough time with me I just kind of disconnect and forget about them. I need a decent amount of face time and investment to think of a person as a real partner. I can't totally rule out a poly relationship in the future but it definitely is not what I am looking for at this stage in my life.

8. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would love to have a polyamorous relationship because I think it's possible to love more than one person. I'm all for it, but you cannot be jealous, possessive or insecure. I'm confident, but we all have our days when we feel ugly--or at least I do. I just think it would take a ton of trust and confidence! Have you ever watched the polyamorous show on Showtime? That's the only reason why I think it's possible for them to workout. I know reality TV is scripted, but I was skeptical at first, but it's interesting.