1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convince...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Defraction, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Defraction

...people that homosexuality is NOT a choice.

Strangely enough I'm quite open about gay rights, and despite how gay I seem nobody really thinks I am, (suspicions, but I put it down to being open and apathetic about people's opinions of me) but I find it hard to prove that being gay is not a choice without including myself.

I'm really bad at lying most of the time, so pretending I'm straight only works for so long. ¬_¬

Anyways, I come up with "people are afraid of saying they're gay because they'll get kicked out of the house, attacked or killed out of hatred, JUST because they're gay" - but that doesn't seem to convince them.

I'm also bad at thinking of really good arguments at a particular moment, so perhaps if I can get a few good ideas I can make them agree with me, hopefully.

P.S [I put my interests in gay rights to my openly lesbian friend, that's why I can get away with being semi-flamboyant. :grin:]

Thankies.

2. Astaroth

Well, you could say "did you choose to be straight?" or "who would choose to be gay, as if it's a trend?" or "can you make yourself start to find the same sex attractive and sexy? Well, if you can't, why do you think that someone could force themself to do it and LIKE it anymore than you?" Those are my suggestions at the moment. I'm sure there are plenty of other one-liners.

3. KatoKumi

Basically what Noah said [:

I thinkz you just need to get down to their core. "Why do you bother so much with their sexuality? It's not exactly any of your business. How about you, let me ask, did you ever fall out of love with some girl you were dating?" If the answer is yes "Could you choose to fall in love with them again?" And of course the answer would be no.

That's just situational though [:

You know, uh, PM me if you have like...the stuff people say in class that you can't respond to. I used to be like, one of the only two people that defended gay people in my old school. So I think we were pretty okay :]!
    Here to helpp<3

4. Psychedelic Bookmarks

yup - ask them whether they can choose to find the same sex sexy. if they can't, it's not a choice, is it... :wink:

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Why would anyone choose to be subject to discrimination, if the other choice was that they wouldn't be?" ~That says it all...

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ask if they can force themselves to find their elderly neighbor or their dinner salad attractive.

7. otc877

otc877 Guest

Personally, I like to compare it with being left handed.

I did not choose to be left handed, why would I? The world is comprised of 90% or so right handers and most items are designed with right handers in mind. It is a hinderance in my life that I did not choose.

Regardless of the fact that most people are right handed, being left handed is NATURAL to me. As a baby, innocent and oblivious, I ate food with my left hand. As a toddler I threw with my left, etc. I preferred my left hand before I knew that it was against the 'norm.'

I can write with my right hand, albeit awkward and unnatural, the same applies for girls. I can get a girlfriend, but that would just be awkward and unnatural.

I am gay by as much of a choice as I am left handed.