1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JakeHas, Oct 24, 2012.

1. JakeHas

Hey everyone. So I have a girlfriend whome of which fully knows I'm bi. The problem though, I'm not sure if she necessarily understands a lot of it. I hadn't told her I lean towards guys, but even then she still tries getting further and further in the relationship (if you know what I mean) and it gets somewhat uncomfortable for me at times. Sure may of you may say, "Well if you feel like that, just break up!" I can't just break up with her. I've been going out with her for almost 6 months now, and she would break down if I was to do that to her. She would be more than likely mad at me and never talk to me again and tell everyone! (Trust me, she can hold a grudge.)

Overall what I am trying to say is;
    My girlfriend knows I'm bi, doesn't seem to fully understand (Though she says she does). Still tries to get further into the relationship (physically), and I get somewhat uncomfortable. I don't want to have to break up with her because she is the best women I've met.

Help? Please?
    Thanks

2. alberz

alberz Guest

Hey. :slight_smile: I’m new here, so I don’t know if I can help. What I do know is that I’m bi too, and that I really feel for you. (*hug*) There are a few people I trust enough to tell, but I’m pretty close to the middle (attracted strongly to both), so I haven’t found the need to, hence I’m not ‘out’ either.

If I were in your place, I’d consider five things: honesty with yourself, honesty with your girlfriend, your girlfriend’s feelings, your ‘out’ status and time.

For yourself, I think you have to first ask what your attractions to guys mean to you. For me, I’m strongly attracted to a bloke right now, but being his friend is enough. My attraction is more emotional and maybe intellectual than physical (though physical is definitely there), so I think it could coexist with a straight relationship (if he were gay or bi, I’d also be open to the alternative, but I want to stay single until I finish my education anyway). Do you think your attractions to guys can co-exist with a straight relationship?

The second thing I think you need to ask yourself is whether or not you’re in love with your girlfriend. If you are, then I think you have to be honest with her, and somehow let her know that you do love her, but you’d like to go more slowly and are uncertain about what you’re feeling. Do you think she would understand? If she loves you, I think she should, but I don’t know her.

If you aren’t in love with your girlfriend, but think that there’s something that could develop into love, then you’d have to ask yourself whether it’s worth the risk to try and see if that can happen. If it can, then you may have a happy life together. If not, it will probably make things worse the longer it goes on. To me, this seems like a very scary course.

If you simply aren’t in love with her, then I think you owe it to yourself and her to be honest. Here, based on what you’ve written, I agree you can’t just break up with her. You have to consider her feelings, and the risk that she might then ‘out’ you without your consent. If you want time to be on your side here, I think a solution might be to try and gradually let her know how you feel, and at the same time start coming out. That way, you’ll soften the eventual blow to her, and protect yourself from a retaliation. I know, it’s easier said than done. :icon_sad:

Whatever happens, there are a lot of open, caring people on EC, so you aren’t alone. For me at least, being able to be open and honest with such people, about things I’m afraid to talk about IRL, really helps. (&&&)

3. JakeHas

Thanks a lot for that response. You are right, I should probably start to gradually have her become more and more aware of who I am. Honestly at the moment, love is a stong word, but she is the closest to what I suspect love is. I'm going to try a few of your tips. Also, yes EC has been able to open my eyes with caring, friendly, and similar people to talk to.

4. Joey4

I have to ask Jake.. and feel free not to answer. Based on you saying that she's moving along physically and you're not comfortable with it..does that mean that you're a virgin?

5. JakeHas

Yes it does. I'm not sure who the youngest in EC is, but I'm 14 and very careful with how I live my life. Don't plan to loose my virginity just quite yet :slight_smile:

6. alberz

alberz Guest

Hey Jake. :slight_smile: Your age wasn’t visible before, but since you’re only 14, I think you should definitely not let your girlfriend (or anyone) push you into something you’re not ready to do. You may already be certain that you’re bi, but it’s also entirely possible you need a few more years to figure it out. If you’re not sure, you may want to do that before you come out to more people too.

Assuming your girlfriend is the same age as you, you probably also both need some years to figure out what love is. On the positive side, I think it’s much less risky to stay together at that age, even if you’re not sure of what you feel. You’ve still got a lot of time to work things out, and to both meet new people, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Just try to explain to her you want to go slowly. I think anyone reasonable should accept that.

7. Alan Lewrie

Exactly what I was going to say. I can certainly understand the urges, and the reserve you are showing, there is nothing strange or weird about that. And as alberz said, anyone reasonable would respect the wish to take things slowly.

8. Joey4

^ Even though one would think it's reasonable to accept one's wishes to go slow, that doesn't always makes sense to a 14 year old. I'm not saying that a 14 year old is incapable, but it's unlikely.

And I don't think love is in question here. Sexuality is.

You're uncomfortable with your girlfriend's advances and that may mean either you're nervous because sex will be new and anything new can make you nervous, or it may just be that you're not interested in females like you had hoped and that you're actually just gay.

Sometimes it's hard to know what you like if you've never been with one or the other. I've been with women and I know I like it. I've never been with a guy, but I imagine I'd like it. You seem firm on staying a virgin. Good. Don't do anything you don't want to do. I felt the pressure to lose my virginity and finally I did at 18. I thought I was late, but I also have a friend who didn't lose his until 22. There's plenty of time to make decisions.

^ You know, if you replaced the word "bi" in the second sentence with the word "gay," it would make more sense. You told your girlfriend that your bi and I think she understands it correctly. It means you like both guys and girls. What she doesn't understand, and I think what you don't understand, is that you're not sure what you like. Take your time, date both. Maybe if you date a guy and his advance seem less threatening, maybe you just prefer guys to girls.

Good luck, buddy. I hope this helps.

9. JakeHas

Thanks for all the advice! Overall though, I seem to prefer guys over girls a good amount of the time. I don't want to label myself as gay yet because trust me, there are a few women here and there. I do feel like I have a stronger emotional relationship with women, but a more seemingly physical with Guys. I'm still a bit confused on it all.
    Also I understand 14 is a young age to do all this and think about it, but from what I've been noticing about myself is that I am much different then almost all of the guys at my school/age. I just have different feelings then what a lot of them do on the subject.

10. jimL

Hi Jake.

The only thing I might add to what others have said is a response to your comment that you have stronger emotional relationships with women and more of a physical one with guys. I think this is very common theme with gay guys, and I am in no way saying that this fits you. It's just an observation that I have made over the years. For myself I have always related to women emotionally easier than men......but that is changing over time. Just go with your heart.

You have a lot of sexually charged years ahead of you, so don't rush it. I wouldn't let anyone push me into doing what I wasn't ready to.......but if you do.....be safe!!!!!

11. JakeHas

Thanks for the response! And of course, I understand what you mean. It's a bit confusing. Physical attraction goes a great amount to guys. But every once in a while, I may see a women and feel similar to the portion of guys. It doesn't happen much, but yeah. Confusing...