1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

isolating yourself BECAUSE of poor self esteem

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tapsilog2012, Oct 24, 2012.

1. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

So I know all about Maslow's hierarchy of needs. How you need social support to thrive and all that.

The thing is, Ive isolated myself more and more over the past 5 years.

In 2008 I had a lot of very stressful things happen and I developed panic disorder, which made me not want to be in public situations. I started only practicing my dance form in private or with my (ex) boyfriend, stopped performing and competing, and completely stopped socializing. My social life up until that point revolved around my very competitive dance form (competitive bgirl)

I get less panic attacks now but I am very perfectionistic and basically want to "cure my bad self esteem" all alone, in isolation, before coming back out into the world. I don't wanna show anyone that I am vulnerable. So if I get angry when I am practicing at all, at least I am alone and no one has to see that I am not perfectly calm and happy at all times.

I work in a yoga studio (reception) and talk to the clients a lot but most are older ladies. No one even knows that I am an aspiring pro breakdancer. I keep my passion to myself, Im "closeted" about it. It means so much to me it hurts, Im scared to even admit my passion to EC.

How can I reach out into the world and start socializing again without triggering my panic/rage attacks?

And is it possible to build up self esteem alone, with no family and no close friends, only an ex boyfriend who you can't even be in a relationship with since you are a lesbian?

#1 tapsilog2012, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  2. wandering i

I think that seeing a counselor/therapist would be an extremely positive step for you to take. It's a safe environment and they can help find sources of your anxiety and strategies to approach your goal.

Don't give up on your dream. I imagine it's going to take a lot of small, gradual steps to change what has become 'the norm' for you now. Please consider counseling to help you find your way.

3. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

@wanderingi thanks for the response, and thanks for telling me to keep working on my dream. I will regardless, no matter how hard it is.

I get as much counseling as I can afford...which is currently nothing. I am on a 6 month waitlist for free counseling at a Womens Centre.

The thing is, my counselors always tell me I need to start making baby steps towards making friends again, and I dont know where to start.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I've heard of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, but thanks, I learned something new today :slight_smile: I think in order to get over your fears, you have to face them. There's no rush, but just think about how you would feel being your true self. Liberating or scary? You don't have to tell everyone, but I was always nervous about people finding out. It doesn't bother me now, I have anxiety so I know how you feel. I think seeing someone would help a ton. Until then relax, you have us here--you can always talk to us. It's nice to have support like, family and friends, so just work on it slowly.

#4 pinklov3ly, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I kinda know how you feel. In 2008 also, I had two fairly "traumatic" experiences (relative to my own life). I fell into a really bad depression, which made me isolate myself. The isolation (plus my natural shyness and introversion) turned into social anxiety. The social anxiety and depression just perpetuate each other, and I've totally isolated myself in the last couple of years. I'm a junior in college with no friends, no social life. Obviously, all this means that I don't have any self-esteem, which just makes me isolate myself more and become more depressed. I want to get out of this rut but don't know where to start.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone! Sorry I don't have any advice. I think seeing a therapist would be really helpful for us both, but I personally don't feel comfortable doing it. I hope you continue pursuing your dream and find relief from all this soon!

6. Adelaida

Hi there,

I can relate because I have anxiety as well, and I developed panic attacks earlier this year after being really stressed out for a long time. I agree that counseling can help a lot, and the other thing that helped me was medication. I don't know how you feel about that, but I find that even though the medication doesn't completely erase my anxiety, it brings it to a level that's much more manageable for me. A lot of times, getting a doctor's appointment for an anxiety medication (you can even go to a general doctor; it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist) is a lot easier and cheaper for people than counseling.

I think it's tough to build self-esteem if you don't make steps toward facing your fears. Try making a list starting with the easiest thing you can think of, the smallest step, and end the list with the the scariest step toward facing your anxiety. List the in-between steps from easier to hardest. Then start working on taking the smallest step, and slowly work your way up to the more difficult steps. And give yourself lots of credit each time you face something that triggers your anxiety, because you deserve it for facing your fears! Actually, you should pat yourself on the back for asking for advice and posting your passion about dance here. Every little step forward counts. Good luck and feel free to message me if you ever need to talk! :slight_smile:

7. wandering i

I'm relieved to hear you're open to counseling even if it's not available right now.
    Have you looked for any medical financial aid programs? You may be eligible for medicaid, or able to apply for financial aid. If you talk to the financial office of a clinic or psychiatry office, let them know you don't have insurance and can't afford treatment on your own, they may be able to direct you to an application for aid.

I don't have a lot of advice but maybe, if your self esteem is what keeps you back, you can approach certain criticisms about yourself and 'disprove' them. So if you have told yourself, "I'm unattractive", you could get a haircut, try something different, go through a makeover that helps you feel better about yourself. Not just looks wise, but picking out the things that are holding you back, and taking small but achievable actions to change. Turning abstract into real action may make at least a little more of this more manageable.

8. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

@wanderingi, I live in Canada. Public healthcare covers psychiatry but not psychologists or counselors.

Psychiatry is more medication based and I dont want to take medication. Plus meds arent even covered by public healthcare so I would have to buy them!:frowning2:

I went to the hospital to talk to a psychiatrist when my panic attacks were really bad over a year ago. He said meds were not the answer for me. Basically he just said my life was too stressful and when my stressors lessened my anxiety would go away. (like I can just EXPECT my life to stop being stressful lol).

But thanks for the support, same for the other responders. Thank you, it means a lot to find a supportive internet community :slight_smile:

9. wandering i

Absolutely. If I think of anything else that might be helpful I'll let you know, but outside of that I'd be happy to listen if you want to talk about anything, and please feel free to leave a message on my wall.

10. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I cant stop crying right now. I was dry heaving (almost throwing up) from crying so hard.

My ex boyfriend is the only person I have to talk to (I still live with him, but since I came out to him, he is now my ex, and considers himself single). I was talking to him about why I was upset today. He gets really angry whenever I get upset, even if its not about him (it wasnt him, just some other stuff I was stressed about). He rolls his eyes and yells at me. Then goes back and forth between acting understanding and then only "pretending to listen". As in, while Im talking he will turn on the laptop and read and ignore what Im saying but pretend to listen.

I FUCKING HATE IT when people only pretend to listen. IF YOU DONT WANNA LISTEN, TELL ME YOURE BUSY. But dont pretend.

I told him that and started crying, so he just left the room. I feel so alone and worthless, like I dont matter to anyone. He is the only person I have in the world and if Im not worth enough to listen to when Im upset from him, then what am I worth?

11. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

You have the EC.
    We are here for you b-girl. :eusa_danc
    You are an incredible person. (*hug*)
    Focus your heart and mind back into your dance.
    Your spirit lives there inside of you waiting to shine.
    You are special and you are worth so much more then you can ever imagine.
    If you believe in anything believe this. YOU are not alone, you have people who care for you, and you will SHINE:icon_bigg

12. The Queen Bee

I can be very opinionated too. lol
    I have this thing where I have to work things by myself... unlike you, though, I tell people how I feel about it (I rant and vent... A LOT), but I am extremely reluclant to hear advice. Especially from people who haven't been in a similar situation or don't share similar views.

That said, try joining a B-dance team... or sneaking in some of the Yoga classes.
    I think Meditation could help with your attacks.
    Therapy definitely would help... If there are schools nearby your area, students sometimes are set to help the community.

Sorry, I can't be that much of help.

BTW, I' totally jealous... Breakdance seems so challenging. Geezus... That one and Tango seem sooo frigging cool.

13. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Yes I do take the yoga classes, I get free classes at my studio.

My ex boyfriend and I have been a "team" dancing since before we were going out.

It is EXTREMELY challenging lol, I also am trying to get good enough to battle guys. Some girls like to separate themselves and try to compete only against each other but I am taking the hard route and pushing myself really hard so I can beat guys.

The stress can get crazy though, especially when I first started the level of sexism was pretty incredible:confused:. Its getting better for girls now though, not as much sexism.

14. wandering i

The situation with your ex sounds like a source of a lot of stress... Have you considered finding a place of your own? You don't need to stop communicating or dancing together, but creating some distance may be healthy for your relationship... especially after a breakup.

15. Suffocation

Don't worry, we can isolate ourselves together. <3

16. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

@wanderingi ya I kind of think that might be a good idea. He is depressed a lot and snapped at me as soon as I came in the door from work today. He usually starts it by asking "whats wrong" if I seem irritated or upset and when I tell him he seems to use it as an excuse to start yelling at me. Its very strange. Probably has to do with my coming out, all I wanna do sometimes is crawl back in my closet and pretend I have no sexual preference :frowning2:

I was unemployed for a long time and we are both very poor. I have 2 jobs now but I am also supporting him while he finishes his degree, because while I was unemployed I lived off of his student loan (the government wouldnt give me any income assistance or EI, I tried hard).

I also lived with his family for 2 years before that because I got kicked out of my moms house and would have been homeless. So I feel like I owe a big debt to him and his family. His family went bankrupt and lost their home in 2010, so I moved into an apartment with just me and him.

Its hard to just leave him because we need each other and he needs the income I provide to finish his schooling.

17. scott8088

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm on the flip side of this. I'm gay and I provide all the income for my family - and I just came out to my wife. I have no idea how messed up this will all turn out to be.

I hope things work out well for you - I'm in the same sort of funk.

18. wandering i

Even if you have a financial obligation, if you could find some other place to stay and just give him the money, I think it would take a lot of pressure off your relationship. Breaking up with someone leaves a lot of confused and hurt feelings no matter what the reason for the break was, and spending so much time together will make it easier for that hurt to turn into anger or resentment. Even if you have a great friendship and you want it to continue I think creating distance may be the only way to keep it healthy.
    Do you have some friends to crash with while you look for a place of your own or save up money? I've let a friend stay with me for a month in the past, there may be a couple people who could let you have a couch. It's not ideal but maybe better than coming home to a hostile environment. If he's already yelling at you for feeling bad, I think you should try to get out before it has a chance to become flat out abusive or even more unhealthy.

19. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I dont have any friends, so a spare couch is out of the question.

I cant pay my own expenses and help him with his if we live separately. Sharing everything is much cheaper.

And hes started doing it again. Im super depressed this evening and he asked me what was wrong. I told him I cant talk about it because when ever Im upset it makes him mad. He started snapping at me again and went into the room and closed the door. He says its cause hes tired of me "putting myself down".

I wish I could communicate with him but I can only say good things. Bad things make him angry.

Whenever I say negative things about myself he starts yelling at me, which makes me more angry at myself. When this cycles and escalates more and more I sometimes start hitting myself in the head because Im so angry. He threatens me when this happens, grabs my arms, sometimes puts a fist in my face and I have to run out into the hallway or shut myself in the bathroom and keep my body up against the door because I am afraid he will attack me.

This cycle was already happening before I came out.

So ya, generally I just stay out of his way when he starts getting angry.

#19 tapsilog2012, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
  20. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Ugh now hes talking to his new crush on facebook. So he went in to the room closed the door and started hitting on a girl. I know its not fair not to let him do this but I feel so rejected.

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2012 at 11:48 PM ----------

I hit myself in the head a bunch of times and tried scratching my arms with the scissors. For some reason I dont draw blood though I guess thats a good thing.

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2012 at 12:00 AM ----------

I thought I could still hear the facebook chat noise going on so I yelled "turn the frigging noise off, I can hear it" and he ran out of the room and yelled "Im just watching a show now. Holy shit! What the fuck is wrong with you!"

And he wants me to stop putting myself down. Seriously.