1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, tell me if this is stupid...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dylan, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Dylan

Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright. Well, I signed up to be in NaNoWriMo. (That means I'm gonna write a 45,000 word novel in one month.) I want to make my main character very similar to myself, as in they'd be trans*. One problem: I'd have to write it on the computer, and this computer is shared with my dad. My dad is the problem, basically. Put bluntly, he's an anything-but-straight-and-cis-gendered-phobic jerk. Also, I'm not out yet, and so...yeah. Do you see the issue? What if he saw it? What would happen then? (He wouldn't be very nice, I'll tell ya that...)
    I don't think I should have to not just because of him, but I have to not. But I really want to! :bang: So basically I'm sort of just regretting even signing up for the thing because the other story I thought I might possibly do really sucks. (Really, I don't even know why I thought it could work.)
    So my question is should I just go ahead and write the story 'bout that or just make up something else to write about?

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should write the story, it could open new doors for you. Not only that, it'll boost your serious esteem, which is important. You could always hide the document, so that way only you will know where it is or use a password protection. Title it English notes :grin: I wouldn't let anyone stop me from doing something I'm passionate about, so I'd say...start typing :slight_smile:

#2 pinklov3ly, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  3. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I agree with pink. This sounds like a fantastic opportunity to show off your amazing talents. You can label it anything, besides he probably won't even notice....would he?

Anyhow just tell him that you're writing a story. He shouldn't care what's in it, much less that the character is Trans. :icon_wink

4. Melissa

Hey, I'm doing NaNoWriMo too! ^_^ I do agree though, don't let the fear of your father maybe finding out frighten you away! Go for it! (!)

5. Gen

Gen

Also remember that you have unlimited pages when you are typing. Take a essay that you written and put it in the first 5 pages. Then write under it. Even if he finds it, he most likely wont read through the whole thing.

6. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm interested now, in this novel, I'm assuming I'm too late lol. I love writing stories :slight_smile: I shall google it.

7. LightningRider

I think go for it!
    If you copy an essay and write under it, and label it "English" or something like that, it would hide it.

Best of luck with Nano too! I'm going to attempt it again this year - tried last year and just failed dismally to write enough. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Fruitylicious

I found this a while back and used it, now after you make it you can still see the password by clicking properties and clicking edit and it will open up this code. Though I will offer you advice on this, you can look around for a folder locker and lock this with another password, so what that means is you will have two passwords protecting your stuff.

As long as your dad isn't to computer savvy you should be fine just using this, I would suggest after you create it you hide it somewhere on the computer that he may not check and if he finds it and try's to open it, it will prompt him with a password:icon_wink

What this does is creates a folder called "Locker" which you put your stuff in, it operates off the CMD, now you don't have to understand CMD, once you make this all it will ask is for your password and when you enter the correct password it will open and display the folder and when your done simply click the "locker.bat" and it will ask "Are you sure u want to Lock the folder(Y/N)" and you type "y":slight_smile:

I will break it down after I put the code, because I know I may be not be clear:lol:

-Open notepad
    -Copy paste this code
    -Look at this code and you will see where I highlighted something in red, that's where you put your password.

-Click File
    -Save as "Locker.bat" without the quotations

Code:
    cls
    @ECHO OFF
    title Folder Locker
    if EXIST "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
    if NOT EXIST Locker goto MDLOCKER
    :CONFIRM
    echo Are you sure u want to Lock the folder(Y/N)
    set/p "cho=>"
    if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
    if %cho%==y goto LOCK
    if %cho%==n goto END
    if %cho%==N goto END
    echo Invalid choice.
    goto CONFIRM
    :LOCK
    ren Locker "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
    attrib +h +s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
    echo Folder locked
    goto End
    :UNLOCK
    echo Enter password to Unlock folder
    set/p "pass=>"
    if NOT %pass%==[COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="3"]type your password here[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] goto FAIL
    attrib -h -s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
    ren "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" Locker
    echo Folder Unlocked successfully
    goto End
    :FAIL
    echo Invalid password
    goto end
    :MDLOCKER
    md Locker
    echo Locker created successfully
    goto End
    :End
    Explanation
    -Open it
    -Type your password
    -Put your files in it
    -Double click "Locker.bat"
    -Type "y" letting the program know you want to lock it
    -Put this in a place where it won't be found easily

9. AAASAS

^
    Should write it, try the above suggestion.

Or hide it under a name your dad wouldn't bother clicking on, or in a folder he would never view. You can even write it in e-mail and just keep sending it to yourself.

The best suggestion I can think of is buying a $5 USB stick and saving it on there. That way you can have it with you always, and just plug it into your computer.

They're handy for school and other crap to, and they're dirt cheap at walmart. This way there is absolutely no way he can read it unless you leave the stick in the computer. All you have to do is make sure you save the file to it.

10. Adarya

I happen to be a writer too and am not out to my family yet either. A lot of my writings also include gay, transgendered, bisexual, etc. characters so what I do is keep it all on a flashdrive. My family knows not to mess with it and I keep it safe at all times- never bringing it out of the house (I even wear it on a chain around my neck sometimes).

I think you should still do the story. It's a real opportunity and I think you should try it :slight_smile: Just try to get it on a flashdrive or something or hide the writing inside a folder in other folders where you don't think he'll find it. Good luck!

11. ezkill

You know there's an easier solution than using that batch file. Why not just use Google Documents? You can create a Google account, and then type the document online, and keep it online. Problem solved.

12. Fruitylicious

True:icon_wink

I just offered this as a suggestion, you can do anything that the others have said: use email, get a flash drive, put it on a cd, etc...

I hope everything goes well(*hug*)

13. Dylan

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for your suggestions people! Y'all are so nice :slight_smile: (I've ended up using Google Documents, it's really easy.)