1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mykayla, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, it's almost November, meaning there are just two months left this year, a short time when you're terrified out of your wits of what you feel you have to do before the year is out. Let me explain, at the beginning of the year, I made a resolution that I would come out as transgender to at least my mom (who I'm assuming will be the most accepting and it's possible she already knows even considering that she talks to me much more about genders and stuff, as well as the fact her brother was gay so she has more exposure with this sort of thing). Does anyone have any advice on how the heck to come out and say it? I can get time alone with her, that's not a problem as she drives me to the bus stop in the morning and we're alone together while my brother is at soccer on Monday nights, but I just don't know how to get it out. I'm scared I'll freeze up or she'll laugh or she'll say it's a phase (I tend to expect the worst). I doubt it but I still can't shake the feeling that it'll all go wrong and the house of cards that is my life my crumble (I'm not exactly in a stable place of mind at the moment between bullying, post concussion syndrome and keeping my secret). But, yeah, enough of my rambling, does anyone have any advice on how to do it?

2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I'm so sorry. (*hug*)
    This is a really tough situation. Is your mom homophobic? Does she generally express hatred for gay peeps on TV?

3. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh, no, no. She's not homophobic. Her adopted brother's gay and she has no problems with that. What I meant by she talks about genders a lot lately is more like, noting the rumor about how the woman playing Irene Adler in Sherlock might be the next Doctor Who and noting "They really like to switch up genders these days." and watching Glee this season, which features a transgender that (from what I saw) came off more as bipolar and having split personality disorder. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: