1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm gay and I have a crush on a guy I think is straight, I feel he gives signs

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HeyBeard, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeyBeard

For a while I have questioned my sexuality, I have never really been sexually or emotionally attracted to women, however; I get very awkward around guys that I like. Maybe this is because Im "star stuck" for lack of a better term. Anyways, I am 17 years old about to be 18, im in college and there is this guy who I find VERY attractive in my class. Just by spectating, I figured out what type of music he enjoys and what he likes to do for fun (play drums). I have only known him for a few weeks and we only really talk in class, the info I just gave about him is all i know sadly. I see him talk to girls sometimes, but have yet to hear about a girlfriend. He is very masculine and so am I. I feel like he is giving off signs because I will take a few looks at him, and he will look me back in the eyes, but then quickly look away. This makes me tingle and want to smile, but I don't want him to find that strange if he is straight. As for myself, I have not came out of the closet to anyone, mainly because I am afraid of the rejection that my friends and family might have towards me after I tell them.

I just want to know what I could possibly do to maybe get more comfortable with my sexuality and maybe how I can judge whether or not my crush is interested in me as well.

I have checked my crush out online and all he has is a twitter and a Myspace, I don't want to friend request him yet because he might find that weird being that we barley know each other and I think he knows I have been peeking at him ha ha.

With all of this into consideration, I would be glad to receive some advice on my situation, thanks in advance!

2. ezkill

I think that because you have a crush on this guy, that you are over analyzing the whole eye contact thing. I can hold a stare with any straight guy for at least 3 seconds before they look away. It means nothing. Eye contact is eye contact. It's just his response to you staring at him. He's probably wondering why you are doing it.

The only way you can truly know that your crush is interested in you is to come out to him, and then wait; or come out to him and then tell him you have a crush; OR, directly ask him, or hear it through a mutual friend. I mean, this is the ONLY way you will know with 100% certainty. Otherwise, it's just a guessing game. Don't drive yourself crazy.

As to becoming comfortable with your sexuality... Anything I tell you will be pretty cliche, and easier said than done. To be comfortable with your sexuality is to ultimately be comfortable with yourself. I can't really give much more advice on that, because it's hard for me to articulate. It just happened for me. I became comfortable with my sexuality at the same time that I learned to be comfortable with myself.

3. HeyBeard

Thanks, I just don't want to come off as "getty" if you know what I mean. Thanks for the advice too, No help is too cliche no matter how you put it, and i thank you for your kind words :slight_smile:

4. HeyBeard

Hello everyone, just wanted to update you on my status. As of today, I came out to 5 of my friends and they all gave a very positive response! As for the guy I was crushing on, he stopped me when we were leaving and he just started having a conversation with me. Even better, we got to hang out and get to know each other more, he even asked for my number in the end :grin: Im not going to rush it, but Im going to keep it going.

This all really made my day, and I want to thank you all for your fantastic advice <3

5. ezkill

I'm really glad to hear you made a new friend. Just be careful not to jump conclusions about getting the number. I met a guy in my math class in a very similar way. We'd always exchange looks... one day he just asked for my number. And actually, he was very straight... but guess what? We became best friends.

Let us know if anything cool happens!

6. HeyBeard

I sure will, thanks for your continuous support :grin:

7. HeyBeard

Well, today I found out that he may be straight after seeing him post his status, "All Girls are the Same," but I'm not jumping to conclusions yet. We have been talking a lot lately so, at the very least I feel that we can become good friends, and I think that when that happens, ill lose my crush for him. We have a lot of things in common, all the way from the same Major, to the same type of music. It is very nice, but I'm trying not to scare him away.

One thing though, whenever we text, he always has very short responses, he almost seems bored with the subject right away, but when we have a face to face conversation, we could talk for a long hour. Could this just be because something is bothering him, or maybe that he just doesn't enjoy texting?

Just want to know and Suggestions, I don't want to annoy him and freak him out haha

8. Ticklish Fish

*raise hand* some people find it easier to speak than to like, twiddle your thumb and punch tiny keys.

if you ask me, i prefer typing on a computer more.

9. travelingguy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like I've had some variation of this situation so many times. I wonder how many guys on this forum *haven't* felt something like this.

I also have had the same thing happen (less often, only maybe 3 times in my life) with a girl/woman I thought really was into me, and it turned out she had a fiancee/long-term boyfriend/was not into me at all.

Maybe they were attracted to me on some level. Maybe your friend is also attracted to you. And maybe it won't matter, anyway. This stuff isn't that simple. It's possible that on some level he's physically attracted to you but doesn't consciously realize it and/or would never act on it. Most civilizations, even now, allowed for some kind of physical affection between guys, but ours forbids it unless you sign up to be gay. So unless your friend is actually willing to make that leap, it might be that there's an undercurrent of attraction but it will never go anywhere physical.

Just one time in my life, I had this ongoing crush on this guy. It eventually did get physical months later...the sex was dissatisfying, he wasn't willing to open up anymore emotionally, and in the end, I wish we'd just stayed close friends and had never touched each other.

Or it could be something else completely. That's what makes these things so frustrating!

10. HeyBeard

Thanks guys, we'll see what happens I guess haha XD

11. HeyBeard

Hello again guys, I got good new and bad news and kinda need dome more advice:L

Well, today, I found out that my crush just recently broke up with a girlfriend earlier this month, so i'm assuming he is straight at this point. He added me on facebook and everything, So I was actually able to find out a few more things about him before I said something that might offend him.:bang:

I still have yet to inform him about myself and my preference, and I don't want to tell him yet just because I don't feel as if we are close enough of friends to where he will accept me for that. We have been hanging out a lot and have a lot in common, and I can't say for sure that he is all the way straight, I don't want to throw out the possibility that he might be bi ha ha.

Well, the bad thing is, every time we talk outside of our conversations about music, I get all blushy around him, and turn red... He visited me today while I was working, and just asked how my day was going, and this meant a lot to me for some reason, so I got a little red in front of him.:eek:

I don't want him to be creeped out or suspect anything of me before I can come out to him, because the last thing I want to do is have our growing friendship shattered because of him thinking that I act too wired around him ha ha

Sorry for that being long ha ha, if you've been following this, you already know how I feel about the guy, so thanks for reading again everyone!

12. Average89

pft... lucky bitch. o_o'

i mean.. Good for you. ;D lol
    i wish my scenarios would end like that.
    good luck my friend. :slight_smile:

13. nothingtodohere

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no advice because obviously I don't have a clue, but I really hope it turns out well, especially with the friendship.

14. HeyBeard

Thanks guys haha :grin:

15. Took My Youth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been in the same situation, and it turned out that I was completely wrong and she was straight... but I really really hope that you get what you want with him. But just don't get your hopes up too much, and be realistic about it;

A) He may be straight
    B) If he is gay/bi, he might not fancy you any way (sorry that isn't meant to sound horrible, it's just a fact - I've fancied a lesbian who wasn't into me)

Buuut something slightly positive, even if he has broken up with his girlfriend - doesn't mean he's straight. He could have been experimenting, or he could be bi.

I just really hope it goes well for you :slight_smile:

16. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have much to add other than that this is a cute story, and I hope you become good friends with him! It reminds me a bit of someone I'm trying to become better friends with (I have a thread about it a few pages back).

My guy is awful at texting, and I could easily reach the conclusion that he doesn't like me... but every time I see him in person I don't think so, so it's probably nothing.

I know what you're saying about the blushy stuff too. Although most of the time I'm afraid of seeming cold and boring, which is kind of not similar.

"All girls are the same" could be a way of him suggesting that he want's to try something other than girls. Could be nothing, but if we're being optimistic, we could reach that conclusion.

17. HeyBeard

Thanks everyone, i'm so happy that I came on this website, you all really help take the burdens of everyday life off of my shoulders. I really appreciate all of your advice :grin:

18. AAASAS

I catch a guy at work eye locking with me all the time, I also have a crush on him. I then decided to see if I could lock eyes with other dudes at work, and guess what it happens often. I think he is straight.

People look each other in the eyes, and can sense another person looking at them. Whenever I look at someone they look back usually.

19. HeyBeard

Okay guys, I have another problem I want to address. For one, I have become fairly comfortable with my sexuality as of now, and I don't mind telling people who I know will accept me.

But here is the problem.

I really want to somehow tell my crush that I'm Bi, however; I don't want to scare him away. We have actually really gotten close in a friend type stand point, but I don't know if we are close enough to where me coming out won't freak him out. I'm pretty sure he's straight at this point, just from hanging out with him a lot. Sometimes when him and some friends talk about girls, or how "gay" something is, I tend to get uncomfortable. I really don't want him to think I'm weird because i'm not agreeing about something or get red when something he says makes me uncomfortable. This is hard though, because I can't really make a statement about this without coming out on accident, or offending someone... Any advice on my situation, you guys never failed to help me out before, so I come to you once again ha ha :grin: Thanks in advance, I appreciate it! :help:

20. ConfusedRider

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi HeyBeard, I wanted to post a response because I have started to follow your thread as I'm in an almost identical situation....its great you have this crush, but like me, sounds like you're just as confused about it all lol.

I'm just as desperate to tell my crush how I feel about him...I almost did back in the summer but couldn't pluck the courage to do it because I was just as worried I would freak him out and scare him away. I now wish I did because we seemed so much closer then than we do now :frowning2: I think for the most part he's straight now, but there's still part of me that says he's at least curious. I'm also uncomfortable with him talking about girls....nd I just go red nd go all quiet. Damn its annoying. Not sure how I can help you there unfortunately...

These two comments are also very fitting to my situation....my crush is also very bad at texting, he often won't reply to texts and when he does, they are often short responses. When on facebook he will often take a while to reply and again the responses are often short. I've recently felt that he isn't interested in talking to me or hanging out as much as when we first met. I know he's busy with college n' all tho, but I, like TwoMethod, sometimes come to the conclusion that he doesn't like me anymore and its rather depressing. I really don't want to lose him as a friend because we also have a lot in common (we have the same hobby, and met while out at our local spot). I'm worried that if I tell him, and he doesn't accept it, it could make things very awkward for us I guess. I'm trying to suppress my feelings for him at the mo, but its difficult. He's just split from a gf and was round mine that evening, we had a small foam fight while cleaning up dinner and I ended up drying his face with a towel. Doesn't sound much but it felt almost intimate as he didn't stop me from doing it :icon_redf (normally he don't do touchy feely), and we gazed at each other while it happened. This didn't help with my plan to suppress my feelings.

Soz its a bit of a long reply....keep us posted on what happens, maybe you'll have more luck! :icon_wink

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.