1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I talk to him...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hawknelson, Oct 25, 2012.

1. hawknelson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been looking at these forums for a few months now. But yeah, I am new here. :slight_smile: so hello everybody.

I don't really know where to start, so I'm just gonna start at the beginning of the school year since it was just about a month ago when we started. I live in Washington and do this college in high school program called running start. I just started this year, as a junior in high school, and go to the local community college. I haven't really had that many friends since middle school, mostly because I'm very shy. So this year, starting out fresh at college (kinda) I had high hopes to make some friends. And I have, but not people that I usually hang out with. Well, there's this one guy I see all the time that I really like. Last year at high school, there was this guy in my Chemistry class. His name was Evan. With about four months of school left, he started asking if we could hang out. This guy wasn't someone I really wanted to get close to, just because last year in high school I protected my sexuality with my life. And he was out as gay. But I was going to be nice and just hang out with him once, just as friends. Well, fast forward with only one month of school left, we still haven't hung out yet, but we finally agree on a time too. The day before we were going to, he tells me he meant it as "a date". And Itotally just shut him out within seconds and didn't talk to him again. And I'm 99% sure he knew why.

After this stuff last year, it made me start to realize that people really knew or thought I was gay, and I even asked a friend I sat by in English last year why people thought that. And she said I'm not some "flame" but I dress better than any straight guy(made me grin ear to ear) and I pay zero attention to girls, but all of it to guys. Which is kinda true I guess.

Well this year, even though I live with Romney obsessed grassroots Conservative Republican parents who constantly bash gays (mostly becuase gay marriage is on our ballot) I feel more comfortable with my sexuality and letting people outside my family know. I think it's just because of this newfound "college atmosphere" I live in now. And now I found this guy, I'm not sure if he's gay but I feel like he is. He gives off those vibes of being flirtatious & more interested in guys. And I'm so fucking shy, if this was just any other person I would have no idea how to approach them if I wanted too, but eventually I'd suck it up. But this guy in particular, I have no classes with but see every day. And I don't think I can just suck it up and go up to him and say "hey, what's up" or whatever when I see him. He seems approachable, because he sees me and always gives me a cute smile or some smirk (which I must throw in that's its a sexy smirk (; haha). I was thinking about waiting to see him leave class one day and go to the coffee shop in the student union building because he goes there everyday after class, but I feel stalkerish doing that. What do I do? How do I approach this guy when I don't even know his name. I get so nervous because of all this shyness I have bottled up. And what if he's not even interested in me? I know I probably won't know that unless I talk to him, but I'd be crushed if I found that out. :/

Sorry for such a long post, thanks for reading and any help in advance.

2. Why don't you talk to him if you see him so often?

3. Rinamir Mortem

There are so many ways to start up a repertoire with this guy. Many of them cliche, a few just plain stupid, but there is one that could be your golden shot.

I understand your shyness around guys you like. I myself have never been the kind to go after someone...just eye them from afar :dry:

You need to make your meeting seem like a coincidence. Start with small talk and then see how it goes. This could be in places like queues or if you are walking to the SU near each other would be a better one to begin with. Get within speaking distance and, if you can only manage it, give a small hi and see if he replies in kind. If he does, great, smile and continue to the SU as if you are in a hurry. Then, give it time. As much as you want. Be it the time it takes for him to get to the SU or the next day and then perhaps start to talk to him, broach the subject of your last class perhaps? Or if the weather is pretty crappy then use it. A lame subject like that could lead to other topics. But try not to delve into your life story straight away. Essentially, you need to develop the beginnings of a friendship so that you might be able to sit next to him in the SU without feeling awkward.

Relationships should start as friendships, my golden rule. That way, you get to know them more and they you. Don't throw all your eggs in one basket and aim for a friendship. Then, once you feel ready, go for dating.

Best of luck (*hug*)