1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 54321john, Oct 25, 2012.

1. 54321john

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello,

I am asking for some advice from you folks who are probably a lot mere experienced and knowledgeable than me.

I am a guy in my early 50s, and inexperienced. There have been no long-term relationships, no short -term ones either. There were some abuse issues when I was a kid, so I avoided exploring this side of life.

I'm in my early 50s now, and I am at a loss. I don't even know where to begin. There were some recent health scares, and I am well aware that the clock is ticking. I would like to finally resolve this.

How should I safely and discretely explore this? If you were me, how would you handle this?

I don't want to come out, at least not yet. How do I even know if this is what I want if I've never tried it?

But, I don't just want to answer some ad somewhere and maybe get killed, mugged and beaten, or set up for an arrest.

How would you handle this if you were me?

2. Crazyguy

If I was single I would likely try to meet someone online. I would take my time to get to know them, build a trust with one another online then talk on the phone and eventually meet for coffee some where publicly. If someone was unwilling to invest the time then I would move on to someone that would. I would stay away from a quick hook-up as it is risky.

Have you dealt with the past abuse issues? I think that would be key before going down this road.

3. BudderMC

I second this. If you haven't dealt with your issues, it definitely is key before you can enter any relationship - straight or gay. And I'd wager there's a lot of stuff being hidden deep inside you since it's been preventing you from having any relationships for the 50 years of your life. I know it's a scary thought, but in all honesty, meeting someone for a relationship will be infinitely easier afterwards since you'll be able to put your all into it.

4. 54321john

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I did get some couseling a few years back. My perp actually m oved in withy hsi mother across from my home. I had never told anyone what had happened to me and I started coming apart over a period of about 10 years.

Eventually, I told my family and moved away to another town. I was just so worn out from the flashbacks.

I learned alot, but still have alot more to figure out, obviously.

Thanks for the advice. that does ame sense. The last thing I need right now is more trauma. But, I find myself anxious to move forward.

5. 54321john

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Crazyguy,

I took your advice and signed up for a dating web-site online. I hope all goes OK.

Thanks!