1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just really lonely...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mitchell, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Mitchell

I've been struggling with loneliness for a long time now.
    I'm done with highschool... now I'm in a tech school getting certified in computer related areas.

I don't have any friends in-person, I never really have.
    I'm often just very lonely... I live on my own in a transitional living program, but I keep feeling like I'm missing out.

I did highschool online, meaning that I was in a study hall all day, every day...
    I don't have any friends, I never really have..

I want friends, but I just don't know how to make them.

I want relationships... I want more... but I'm lost.

2. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Crazyguy

Are there any clubs or sports activities at your tech school that you could join where you could meet others? How about forming a study group with classmates at school? To meet friends you're going to need to get out where others are around and talk to others. Best of luck.

4. Romi

Trust me. I know what it's like to feel alone. I seem to live in a perpetual state of loneliness. While I may not have too many suggestions that aren't obvious, what I do have is an offer for an attempt to take the edge off, if only a little.

If you ever feel the need or want, you can always reach me through my wall or a private message.

Knowing what being lonesome can do to a person, I would never want anyone else to have to go through it if there's no need for them to. (*hug*)

5. Suffocation

I've been lonely 13 years and running, you sort of get used to it after awhile.

6. Mitchell

I'll be 21 in January.

I am used to it - everyone at the tech school is like 40 something or older...

I'm sorry for ranting. I take psych meds, and I get depressed in the evenings.

I'm just lonely in general... I wish I had friends and things were different.

I do take medication for various mental reasons, I just have a hard time in the evenings.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Mitchell! Sorry to hear/read that you are feeling so lonely. And it is totally okay to rant and to vent.

(*hug*)

Joining an activity would allow you to start getting to know people, or at least lay the foundations for it.

Is there a chance that you could get to know some people and make some friends in your community, by joining an activity at the community centre? Is there a youth evening program in your community that you could join or perhaps even a youth LGBT support/social group?

8. Mitchell

Hi. Thanks for your kind words...

No, there really isn't. I went to a LGBT group before, but the only one is 45mins to an hour away, and I have no means to get there on my own... and it's too far to ask my parents to drive me to. They took me a few times, and I enjoyed it, but they said the gas was too much, and it was just a big hassle to go there.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mitchell!

Haven't seen you posting in a while, nice to see you back!

It is definitely hard when you don't have the opportunities to socialize that other people have.

Have you considered doing something social that might attract a bunch of gay guys? Here are some examples

-- Take a class (maybe some sort of fashion or design, or something else stereotypically gay)

-- Check and see if there's an LGBT center in your area

-- Look at meetup.com groups in your area for gay men

-- See if there's a gay men's chorus, theater group, or something like that you can join

-- Volunteer to help your local PFLAG

And outside of activities for gay men, just doing one or more of the above with *any* social groups would help you to develop friends.

-- Volunteer somewhere. A soup kitchen, an animal shelter, a hospital, almost anything else. You can make friends pretty easily at those places.

-- Join a hiking or biking club

-- Take a fitness class

It may be hard to do any of those because I'm guessing you're a little shy. But the way you get over that is to intentionally "stretch" yourself and do things that are a little uncomfortable. If you go to just one such meeting/group, you'll usually find someone to talk to and that makes it easier for the next time.

10. Mitchell

Thanks.

I actually have a plan to go volunteer somewhere on Monday... I like to think of the people that I'm volunteering at as friends, it's a local school, in a program for intensive needs students. I work with the young kids.

11. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

you could randomly say Hi to a stranger you see everyday (some other student you don't know or another regular costumer at a store you go to) it sounds weird but it works

12. Mitchell

Thanks.

Yeah... I've been doing that, I guess I need to question myself to define who a friend is.... the more I think about it, I have people I talk to, but I don't know if I can classify them as a friend.

13. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

Yeah, i'm guilty of that too. I am however, trying not to and I have gained a lot by talking to those people who may or may not be as lonely as me

14. Mitchell

Thanks for your kind words.... it means a lot.

I put on a movie... i'm starting to relax.

15. Neutrality

Hey, I used to be alot like you. I think I made my first group of friends at like 21 so I know how you feel....If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to bother me =P..As a bonus I'm a huge IT nerd too! Currently working on an associates in Computer Information Technology and studying for my CCNA

16. Mitchell

I have my CCNA.
    I'll PM you.