1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have accepted myself, but why am I still so terrified?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheSeeker, Oct 26, 2012.

1. TheSeeker

Hey, I posted earlier today about coming out as Bi to a Queer female friend, and that went great. She was super excited and supportive; I couldn't have asked for a better reaction.

But... as the day progressed, I think shock started to set in and I started to get depressed. The shock wasn't reaction based, it was more about having started the coming out process and not being able to turn back.

So, I was on FB earlier and a gay male friend of mine popped up on chat. On a whim I decided to come out to him. He took it well and was supportive. I served with him in Africa for the past two years and he was really my first gay male friend, after my sheltered upbringing. I was never attracted to him, no crush for sure. Maybe this is a Bi-guy thing, but he is very flamboyant and that is a major turn-off for me. So, entirely platonic. This is important for later.

So he tells me that he kind of had his suspicions that, as he put it "my saloon doors swung both ways". But he said he never thought I was fully gay, but had me pegged a few notches higher on the Kinsey Scale than I seemed to be socially. Now, mentally, I was just impressed with the sensitivity of his gaydar. But suddenly my heart started racing and I broke into a cold sweat. My vision swam and breathing got shallow. I think it may have been a panic attack, at least a little one. I have never had one before and I wonder what brought it on.

He said nobody else suspected, and that the only reason he did was because I treated guys and girls with the same level of sensitivity and deference, not because I showed any physical sign. He also asked if I had been attracted to him, and I politely told him no, but just because he wasn't my type (he really wasn't, what can you do?). He was fine with this, thankfully. I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

But this is aside the point. The question is, why in the hell did the fact that he suspected my leanings freak me out so thoroughly? I thought I was past this! That I had accepted my attraction to men as well as women and was okay with it. Why then was this so terrifying to me?

Like I have said on previous threads, I have been physically intimate with women, not all the way to actual sex, but I have had fun at all the bases leading up to home plate. I know that being Bi means that I should be excited to have a sexual experience with a man as well, but I have never shared an intimate moment with anyone from my gender and I feel like I am still scared by it.

There are still some aspects that repulse me, to be frank, mainly the fact that while I may fantasize about men and am at least comfortable with the idea of anal sex, I still have a strong revulsion with anything that has to do with my mouth. I am still not turned on by the sight of a penis... Yeah, it's a penis, I have one too and rather like it, but I can't recall ever being enthralled with anyone else's; and the idea of having one in my mouth... well I still can't wrap my brain around it. However, cunnilingus still sounds supremely exciting (vaginas are cool) so, I don't know what to think.

So maybe my question is if it is normal for Bi guys to not be as thoroughly excited by some aspects of gay physicality as a Kinsey 6? I know several fully Gay men that think that penises are the best thing in the world, but try as I might I can't get there. Second question is, if the answer to the first is "no", then is this kind of revulsion normal at first? If so, what should I be doing to get over it?

I am so confused, still shaky, and exhausted. But I will check this thread in the morning, so help me out!!

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, don't worry about it. I won't say it's normal, because I don't really know. I just know my experience, and I can relate well. I came out at 16, but still had a lot of fear around actually acting on my attraction to other men. At the time, I found penis pretty intimidating actually, even though I wanted it badly. I have only made three attempts at sexual experiences, starting at age 21, and only the last was successful. The first two were aborted by my shame.

So what I guess I'm saying is that it's possible to know you like guys but at the same time be revulsed by, or have a very difficult time actually acting on those attractions.

I feel like this may be where you're at.

I'll just leave you with a couple ideas. One is that you might just want to try getting some guy you can just be physical with in a way that feels safe. Kissing or cuddling. Another is to continue affirming your attraction to men. Think about what you like about men, what you want to do with men, and just being with men as romantic partners. That can be a non-threatening way for you to work through the fear you still have.

I am not saying that your fear necessarily results from shame--mine did--but it might help you.

Also, part of what you feel with the fear that people might be able to identify you as bisexual is the fear that comes with the hostility that's directed towards us. It's hard to like who we are when we don't feel safe to be who we are; it's the pain of needing to be invisible but not wanting to be.

Also, Rainbow Dash is best pony. :kiss:

#2 Pret Allez, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  3. TheSeeker

Sweeet... This thread just became 60% Cooler (RD's coolness increases exponentially when multiple copies of her are present)!

And yes, she is best pony.

It made sense to read about your experiences, especially the aborted ones. The sense of shame is still strong, even if I can't figure out where it is coming from. My theory on my shame/intimidation/terror is that I am somehow betraying my former self. The guy that was so deep in the closet that the worst possible thing he could imagine was being gay.

You said you came out at 16, so remember how you felt at that age when you read this next bit:

Ok, starting at 13 or so, like I said in my story (it's on another thread, but you can also find it on my blog entry. It's a little tl;dr but illuminating) I began to be attracted to the same sex. At the same time, the parents in my Homeschool Group were expounding on the evils of dating and how they would only allow their daughters to "court". It sucked. I did have a crush at the time, but I trained myself to barely even acknowledge girls just because I felt it was taboo. At the same time, my homosexual side was getting stronger, probably because it scared me so bad when it surfaced. Since masturbation was also a sin, I wasn't doing that either. So I couldn't even explore my feelings on my own time. It was an exercise in frustration.

Now a caveat I would like to add is that, none of this was coming from my parents. They are both smart, liberal, PhDs that just happened to be Christian. They only got involved in this homeschool group because it was the largest in the county, but it is safe to say that we were the sanest family there. So I became much more religulous and repressed than they ever were or wanted me to be. Any actions they took farther down the line were what they thought I wanted.

Ok, when I was 15-16, I finally reached the point where I couldn't take it any more and I sat my parents down and told that I thought I might be gay and that I didn't want to be! I sobbed all the way through this and have never felt so miserable in my life. I was so ashamed that I was sick, wrong; an affront to nature. They were very supportive, and said it killed them to see me upset like this. I didn't come out for them to accept me, I wanted them to tell me I was mistaken; I wanted some thread of normalcy to cling to, even if it was a false one.

They made me an appointment with a therapist, and this royally pisses me off in hindsight. He was a christian therapist, recommended by "Focus on the Family" (everybody's favorite hate group). In our one and only face to face session in Colorado Springs, he told me enough lies to convince me that I could be entirely straight someday. The biggest whopper that he told was that there was no way homosexuality could be biologically feasible, since homosexuals don't reproduce they can't contribute to natural selection. He figured it was a mental disorder that could be corrected and I believed him!

He was right about one thing though, my fear of my own sexuality was stopping my attraction to the opposite sex. Because as soon as I began to accept myself years later, my interest in women skyrocketed. I know now that I can never be gay, but that I am very Bi. What I suppose is interesting about this situation, is that when I come out to my parents, they won't be entirely blindsided since they know that it was something I struggled with nearly a decade ago.

It frustrates me that I was at the point that I could have come out back then, but that my own surroundings and general stubbornness prevented it. But I guess it is just water under the bridge now. I am comfortable with the truth about myself, but it will be awhile before I am truly proud of it.

I like this idea, I guess a gay stereotype in my mind was the idea that we move straight into sex really fast. I know this is true sometimes, but I suppose taking it slow still exists in our community. I have definitely had the urge to cuddle with a few guys, and I think it would be great.

While I am apprehensive of being part of a marginalized community. I give very few f*cks of what other people think of me. As you read in the story above, most of my issues came from myself and "god" (that jerk). Externally though, it isn't a huge fear. As for hostility, I am a very straight-acting formidable guy, also very "type-A", people can mess with me at their own peril.

Sorry for the REALLY TL;DR. But I appreciate your input, thanks buddy!

4. Colours

Firstly, good of you to have come out! I can relate to in a whim decide you want to tell someone else as well. I've experienced the same, though I didn't do it. When I first came out I just kind of felt like I was on a roll, and wanted to and could tell others as fast as possible! Only the ones I just knew would be accepting, though. It faded a bit later on.

I also relate to feeling odd and a bit down after first coming out. It just feels weird to start your coming out process, while it feels good on the one side, something's odd about it. It's for real now, and like you said, you can't really go back. I've also been questioning myself, like, I've told people I'm bi but is that really what I am? It's also been fading now but it's odd being bi because the one day I'll be more into girls and the other more into guys. Mostly the latter, though. I guess.

I can also relate to not liking the idea of being with a guy. I've known I was into guys for the longest time but I could never actually see myself with one. I liked fantasizing about guys but doing it in reality at the same time didn't really seem that great at first. It's just something that grew after some years of time, guess I took a long time fully accepting myself.

When I had my first sexual experience with a guy. Let's say when I was first touched by one in that way. I couldn't even get hard because I was so nervous or something. So then we just went on kissing and about a week later when we tried it a second time, it was no longer a problem (I'm talking about handjobs here, blowjobs seem a bit intimidating to me still and I've yet to experience that). Also, do know, that not all gay (or bi in this case) people/couples like or practice anal sex.

The weird thing is the other person involved was also bi (I was his first guy as well and I was the first guy he actually felt attracted to and all, it went pretty fast) never had this problem. He later even said he wasn't into guys at all (we had dated for nearly a month when he broke up with me). When really, if that was true, I'd think he'd have that problem even more than I did. But I guess we're all different. It was my first time being touched at all anyway, and for him that wasn't the case (I still think he's just in denial, which I could understand, but that's a different story).

So, to answer your question: I think it's normal to feel the way you do.

5. TheSeeker

Colours, thanks for your story. It puts things nicely in perspective. I am envious of you though, coming to terms with your sexuality in your teens; it was something I could never do. I don't know if you read the my reply to Pret Allez, but that details what was holding me back there. Handjobs seem reasonable to me; one thing I have always contended is that girls just can't do them right. In fact my last handie from a girl ended not in my finishing, but rather me walking with a limp for the rest of the week. Yeah, I will spare you the gory details there, but OW. She still doesn't know what she did, because I focused my attention on her and she had a good time... twice! One funny thing came out of that though, which was after relating this tale of woe to my little brother, he started referring to this girl as "True Grit"... Funny man.

From what you described, your bisexuality sounds a lot like mine in the way that it alternates, although my cycles tend to be a couple months in duration. The main reason I decided to start coming out now is that I just dipped back into a male oscillation and I want to get it over with before I start feeling "straight" again. It is much easier to tell the truth when it is staring you in the face.

Like I said in the above post, the anal sex idea doesn't bother me much. I think this is mainly because I have heard so much about the intensity of the prostate orgasm and I want to have one myself. But I am a ways off from that, no dating prospects on the horizon from either gender and I am going to move soon... So I guess experimenting will have to wait awhile.

What about you? Have you started at Uni yet? Also, have you come out to your parents?

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem, and thanks for telling me your story, TheSeeker. That sounds terrible with the therapist. Yes, we all have regrets, but it's more about how we learned and how we move forward.

And oh gosh, of course taking it slow still exists in our community. And I think you should try to do that, because that's a nice way for you to be physical with men and get to where you enjoy that and not have to deal with the whole penis thing right away. :slight_smile:

7. The Queen Bee

I think it's like that for all of us.
    After I told my sister and she went to bed (it was a Skype call) I felt quite uneasy. So I jogged (for me, jogging and cycling are soooo cathartic, so those sports have always helped me that way).
    I guess it was because of the realization that coming out was something I actually had to do... and that was happening now. I actually had to start doing this.
    My sister was really cool about it... and she Skype called me the next day just to be supportive, you know just in case I wanted to talk about it. But, I couldn't bring the subject up. I wanted to rant with her on the matter... but at end I just wasn't able to bring it up again.
    I really would have liked her to start the conversation about me being gay. Something like "you know... that thing that you told me yesterday..." would have been more than enough for me to start talking out it openly. For some reason bringing up the conversation was rather ackward. I could talk for hours about me being gay to the people I had come out to the first months... but bringing up the conversation was aldskhjfaishd!!
    Not only that... saying the word "gay" as in "I'm gay" was adjhafks too. It sort of get stuck in my throat. It was so annoying... Why?? Why does it bother me to say to people who I am??

ellen puppy episode pt 4 - YouTube
    3:38
    I think Ellen did it beautifully. "I can't even say the word"... I think it is like that for all of us one point or the other.

Coming out to yourself for me was like this = :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh: "It's sooo obvious!!"... I had a major lesbian crush with one character in a movie and then it hit me.

But coming out to others... Whole new level of ackward.
    I guess you don't want to be judge for something you can't change. There's still a lot of crap that gets thrown our way. Nobody wants to be treated differenly for who they are.
    These are big unexplored steps your taking... Of course it's going to take a little time to get use to that. For me ranting helped out. One particular Straight Ally friend (I actually think she's Kinsey's 1-2, but goodness knows...) was very cool. I ranted with her vía Skype a lot. I guess it helped a lot the fact that it was not face to face. Nonetheless I did rant a lot face to face those days with several of my friends.
    Saying things out loud... I guess it helps you put your thoughts into perspective. It would have been cooler to rant/vent with gay friends; but my closest gay friends are closeted (still in denial)... and so, they helped me posing as SAs.

I cannot say much about the wee-wees part. I don't feel repulsed by them (Kinsey's 4-5); but I don't feel like playing with those anymore. Maybe if the right men shows up. *shrugs*

I gotta say, though. Two years ago while I was volunteering in the Amazonia, there was a lesbian couple in the group. So, given that it was an international very accepting, open-minded group, they were not shy about their PDA.
    I gotta admit the first time I saw them kissing I was weirded out by it. Like: "Really?? Are they doing this in public??" kind of thing. The funny this is that I developed a major lesbian crush on one of then (lol), which actually led me to question my sexual orientation and eventually come out.

Same with the idea of lady parts. I wasn't too fond about that either. I still haven't been with a girl that way; but definitely the idea doesn't bother me anymore.
    I think the key is to take small step... and forcing yourself to go a little bit further everytime.

So for me was like:
    1) Telling sister, father, other sister... Friends (and lots of ranting with them, given that my mother was weird around me).
    2) Being very open about it to my friends.
    3) Joining LGBT groups. (Actually A LGBT, there's only one lesbian foundation here...)
    4) Attending meetings/movie watching in June (Pride month).
    5) Going to first gay bar as an openly gay woman (different that going just because) and hitting on girls.
    6) Wearing rainbow bracelet (and being able to answer, if people ask).
    7) Going to Pride and talk to people about it (I was very ackward about this one. I did NOT one my face in the newspaper... but I wasn't gonna go with a mask. It was either I went and show my face or not go at all. No middle point there).
    8) More gay bars.
    9) Correcting people when they say stuff like: "I'm sure you get along with your boyfriend very well"... "Erm... You meant 'girlfriend'. And no, I don't have one yet".

And voilá... Little bit little.
    That's the answer. Just one step at the time... Don't let your mind jump from "I'm going to come out to my brother" to "I might get married to a man and people might hate me for that"... One step at the time, dude.

And, remember. You're doing it...
    (!)(!):thumbsup::thumbsup:(!)(!):eusa_clap:eusa_clap(!)(!)(*hug*)(*hug*)(!)(!)