1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another 'coming out to dad' thread.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander94, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Alexander94

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know there are many of these threads already, so I'm not expecting anything new advice-wise. I really just need to offload my concerns with the comforting thought that someone else may be reading and empathizing.

I seem to have got myself into a difficult situation on my 'journey' to revealing my sexuality to others. My situation seems unique in that I'm entirely comfortable with telling anyone that I'm gay with the exception of my father. I told a few friends over a year ago, then eventually moved onto telling my mother. A year later and the prospect of denying my sexuality to anyone seems ridiculous - I've reached the stage where I can comfortably tell anyone that I'm gay. I'm completely open to the prospect of a relationship and went to a gay bar recently with far less anxiety than I would have faced before. If I'm entirely honest, a part of me feels as if the process is complete!

At the same time, there is an entirely separate side to me that manifests itself whenever I'm around my father. It's peculiar, because whenever he's out of the room (parents are still together) I'm entirely free to be myself, and yet whenever he's around I seem to regress to the repressed closet case that I was two years ago. Time after time I have built myself up to what feels like breaking point in anticipation of coming out, then sat in a room with him when he's alone, only to cave in at the last minute. It's so easy to visualize telling him, yet when I'm actually there, next to him, I feel as if nothing has changed.

The reasons behind it are not particularly unique. I've always been far closer to my mother than my father; we rarely discuss anything involving our own emotions, in fact we rarely discuss anything that doesn't concern the mundane. I feel as if my role as his son is not to be myself, but to (brace yourselves for a cliché) make him proud. I'm on a gap year at the moment after managing to get the grades to study at Oxford or UCL next year, and I'm hoping to study Medicine at post-graduate level, yet he seems almost entirely uninterested. I feel as if I'm slowing down more and more, as if dragging around his expectations for eighteen years (and those of others, to a lesser extent) has finally caught up with me and left me exhausted. The question is, when I feel so burnt out now, how do I muster the energy and courage to push through this brick wall and tell him?

Apologies if this post seems convoluted and meandering, I've tried to express this as articulately as I can but as you all probably know emotions don't often come out (pardon the pun) in an organized fashion!

2. TheSeeker

Interesting. I am about to tell my parents in a couple weeks, but am not too terribly concerned with the reaction. More concerned about Mom than Dad to be honest. Based on what you said, I have a few questions. How much of this pressure are you putting on yourself rather than actually being generated by him? Is he particularly religious or homophobic? Does he have to potential to react violently here?

The need to not disappoint a parent can be very strong, but try to remember that being gay is just a facet of who you are; you as a person are not defined by your sexuality any more than you are defined by your eye color! Sure, you like guys instead of girls, big deal. Who you are is not going to change! If your Dad is proud of you already (Hell, you may be going to post-grad at OXFORD), and if he isn't then that just sucks for him!

Remember, you not come out makes you feel like shit all the time; whereas him not knowing has no effect on his daily life. You are coming out for your benefit, not your father's, and yeah he may have a tough time coming to terms with it. But it won't bother him for as long or as much as it bothers you having to recloset every time you are around him.

Again, I am not working on all the information here, but it sounds like you need to do it to achieve peace of mind! I wish you luck, and please keep us all posted!

-The Seeker

3. nrazor

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your dad might surprise you. When I came out to my dad he said he was proud of me.