1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You Gay Christians

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Field, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Field

Field Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're happened to be gay Christians, I have a question for you.
    If you're not, please still give me some advice.:icon_wink

How do you compromise between your sexuality and the commandments?
    I'm a Christian and also attracted to men. I have this dilemma between my religion and sexuality.:bang:

I don't think there is one correct answer to thig question, but I wanted to know
    how other people think and handle this kind of dilemma..

Thank you,

#1 Field, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. hawknelson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My thing is that the Ten Commandments don't mention homosexuality. At all. I'm back and forth with religion, so I don't know what to classify myself as religiously. I typically just respond Christian, but i don't really know.*

When people argue its a sin, they always use the Old Testament. But the thing is, and I know that any person who has touched a bible knows this, the Old Testament says so much stuff that wasn't followed through the New Testament, and definitley isnt follwed today. Take Leviticus 20:10. Both adulterers shall be stoned to death. But in John 8:11 Jesus tells the Pharisees not to stone adulterers to death. My argument along with many other people's comes from the fact of the matter that the Old Testament was written in reflection and respect to the acceptance in the time period. Stoning someone to death might've been okay hundreds of years ago, but it'd be looked upon as disgusting and barbaric any point after that. There's verses in the bible that continually state homosexuality is a sin, but all found in the Old Testament. The New Testament is like a revision for the time period it would reflect. I feel like a lot of modern day Christians use the "being gay is a sin" crap to give them this pretend edge over the other person. Like their better than gay people. But these people who say that it's a sin don't care, they manipulate verses like Genesis 19 which is about sexual violence and gang rape, just as Judges 19 is, and that Genesis 19 no more condemns homosexuality than Judges 19 condemns heterosexuality (sorry for throwing so many verses around).*

Also, I suggest taking a look at this site below...
    Home - Hope Remains: Homosexuality and the Bible

3. Field

Field Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, thank you for replying and posting your thought. I'll check out the website.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a quick reconciliation. Which is that anti-gay theology is simply incorrect. Problem solved.

5. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I know it is going to take some getting used to. Being Gay and a Traditional Catholic.

But the way I see it, God loves me, then....and he still loves me now.

So..... well I'll keep working at it. All I know is I am sooooooo much happier being Gay ME compared to pretend straight ME.

6. csocm

I never really think about it, I mean in the church I was raised in there were some gay people, for a while we had a gay priest. But like what hawknelson said, the old testament had a lot of things that were considered sins, that people do all the time and it doesn't seem like a big deal. And also in my opinion part of being christian is that you, Jesus and God all know that you are going to sin, and that you will be forgiven for your sins. Some churches have confession were you tell your priest about the sins that have you have done, in my church, their is general confession after the prayers of the people. And the priest concludes that with a collect, and they always say how all of our sins have been forgiven.

I hope this helps. I personally never really had this dilemma as my youth group at least is way more accepting than most of my other groups of friends. But I can totally see how it can be a major dilemma. All I know is, is that my faith is probably one of the most important things in my life, no matter what my sexual orientation is.

7. Waffles

I'm Christian, and I believe that God made no mistakes in making me who I am. I don't believe in a god that hates what he/she creates... the God I worship loves everything he/she made (I say he/she because how do we know God is male. Jesus used the idea "father" because they were in a patriartical society where men lead the family, thus it was easier to get God's position across. :I Just a theory)

8. Pain

Pain Guest

9. fumblebee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have never really thought about it because, like csocm, I was raised in a church that accepted people of all sexualities. We had a gay priest and we frequently have gay weddings at our church. So I was always raised in an environment where Jesus was accepting of everyone. God made us each in his own image. This includes those of us who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans etc. He created us to be who we are and he wants us to be happy.

10. whitwhit82

I'm struggling with the same thing. My dad, brother, and uncle are all ministers. I was raised in a very strict, closed-minded, religious home. My family (and most friends) see homosexuality as a sin and that is that, in their opinion. I was taught that my entire life, but the truth is... I don't agree. I still have conflicting thoughts about it. I still have not sorted it all out in my head (I'm just now coming to terms with my sexuality), but I agree with MichaelD. I believe God loved me then and still loves me now. Along with teaching me being gay is a sin, my parents always preached, "Nothing can pluck you from the hand of God."

11. FishMan27

Thanks for the website. I, myself, am not religious; however, a friend who I recently came out to is a devout Catholic. He said that the Catholic church is not against gays, just the sin itself. This really made me mad.

I may pass this site on to him. Hopefully, it'll "enlighten" him. He's a really nice guy, but definitely subject to blind faith. :frowning2:

12. justin1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe this makes me a bit of heretical Christian, but I’ve never been that hung up on the text of either the New or the Old Testament. For me, Christianity and Faith have never been about the Church or the text of the Scriptures or laws set in stone. The full meaning and power of faith is only experienced when faith is lived and Christian faith is always lived through love. It is a love where we share ourselves with one and other, where we discover new depths of one and other and become something greater together than we would be without this love. However, love isn’t just reducible to a neat philosophical notion or religious position. As much as our love of God is universal and eternal our love of one and other is rooted in our humanity. Our love of one and other is erotic and sensual, messy, complicated and impermanent; its gay, straight, bi and everything else. The whole point of the parable of Abraham is that a truly loving God, will not make us prove our love to Him/Her by destroying our love on earth.

tl;dr Just as God would not force Abraham to kill the part of him that was Isaac to prove his faith, He/She wold not want us to kill the part of us that is our sexuality to prove our faith.

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jesus said nothing about homosexuality.

The bible has a lot of nonsense in it, especially about sex. Did you know that if a virgin is raped, her rapist must pay her father 20 pieces of silver and then marry the now ex-virgin? Also, the old testament discusses, in a not at all negative way, more than one instance of men taking multiple wives (i.e. polygamy)

Did you know that it's a sin to wear two different types of cloth at any given time?

Take the good parts, ignore the shit ones.

Really, you don't need the bible at all to hold faith. It was written by iron-age peasants, not god. No-one needs to tell you how to believe, especially not people who died thousands of years before even the enlightenment.

#13 Pseudojim, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  14. Field

Field Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys for your advice and suggestions.
    It's great to know what other people think in my situation.
    I can't really ask this questions to my friends outside the internet since
    the majority of my friends are Mormons. I kinda know what they would tell
    if I asked the question, though.

15. Eleanor Rigby

16. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality - YouTube
    This video is super long and i skipped over a few times because of that but when I finally watched it, it helped me a lot. I struggled a lot with this particular issue and this video kind of addresses both sides of the argument

17. sguyc

I assume you have to ignore the Old Testament, considering that there is an outright condemnation to homosexuality there.

18. chelshy

I am able to deal with it? Not sure if thats what id call it. anyway jesus God is love. He loves us no matter what zo im all good with it of course im not sure what I am but that is how i am able to not hate or discriminate against any one who is diffrent from me.

19. Pain

Pain Guest

The Old Testament doesn't get ignored, but it's laws are considered obsolete and null, provided one reads the NT. The OT can be used for stories and guides.