1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it get any easier? (ftm)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LightningRider, Oct 28, 2012.

1. LightningRider

I just really need to know if any of it gets easier.

It feels like I'm never going to be okay. I just lay in my bed all night unable to get to sleep cause all I can think about is how I'm never going to be a 'true man' in society's eyes, I'll always be that girl who wishes she was born a male...

I just... I wish I could click my fingers and just set everything right.

And some nights I wish I had the conviction to cut, just so I could have control over my body in at least one way.
    Don't worry though, I've never cut and can't find it in myself to do it.
    But I really think it might be less painful than having all these feelings inside me... some days it just feels like something is trying to claw its way out of me...

I do feel a bit better having written all of this out.
    I'm not even sure if I'll post it.
    If I do, feel free to ignore, I'm just having a whinge.

2. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel the same way you do, so I can't tell you if it'll get better. Sorry I can't be more help but I'll keep an eye out on this thread myself when people answer.

3. wandering i

I'm not even sure that I am trans* yet but I understand this feeling. It sucks that in our society strict binary treatment of people is taught to everyone from childhood. Even mistaking someone's gender is considered a big insult, so passing while crossdressing is so hard. Even if I manage to get some level of ambiguity, people don't assume I'm doing it on purpose or that I'd like to be addressed with a different pronoun.

I really hate when I go in restaurants or cafes because it seems like every service person feels the need to use gendered words in greetings, taking orders, or saying farewell. It's never just, "Take care", it's always "Take care ladies". Guys would make it ambiguous but that ladies one makes it concrete whether I'm passing or not.
    It's almost like people need to reassure themselves by clearly sexing others. Like me being ambiguous is causing them discomfort or distress. It's just ignorance that nonbinary exists, and ignorance of trans people. It makes me wish there were a lot more androgynous and trans people represented positively on TV and in movies, instead of it always being played as the "But she has a penis!" joke.

I didn't have anything constructive to add to the conversation so I figured I'd just rant and blow off steam. :confused:
    Hugs to you other posters, too.

4. J Snow

I can relate. I'm still too early into transition to really get many positive effects out of it, but from everything I've heard, transition is like ripping off a bandage. It really sucks in the moment. Its one of the hardest things imaginable, but in the end, its worth it and you're glad you did it.

5. GayJay

I haven't started transotion yet, and yes I do think its really hard and emotional torture. But I think when people ajust to the fact you want to be called he. And you can live as a boy more easily it does get slightly better. The end of the day getting undressed and going the toilets doesn't no, but thoughtout the day I can often forget I'm not really a boy and just have a good time with the lads or my girlfriend. So yeah what I'm trying to say is I think it does get better after coming out, but you have to deal with a bit of shit first.
    And now I'm just starting to get to the stage of attending therpy, so that makes it better cause I know I have that appointment to look forward to.

Trying to be posative here but yeahh... And sorry about my awful spelling, I'm really bad at it.

6. Yes, it does eventually get "easier," at least if I understand your question correctly. From both personal experience and anecdote, you'll find that the further along in transition you are, the less you will think about it. When I first began to accept myself, come out, begin medical transition, etc., being trans was all I could think about. I actually kept an embarrassingly detailed account about the progress of my voice on T. However, the dysphoria will likely never completely go away, so will life be easy? No, but you won't always worry about the external issues surrounding your condition, such as those I listed above. To make things more tolerable now, either find or engage in a hobby you like. It'll help keep your mind off this, because dwelling on one topic definitely isn't healthy. (I just woke up, so sorry if anything I said doesn't make sense. I can expand on it later, if necessary.)